The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overstayer 8755DM stereo channel
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Silver Bullet and the Modular Channel are my 2 first recommendations as they are both so useful. The Modular Channel can be used to subtle effect even though I really use it for dramatic mangles. You can however switch out extreme sections you don't need and use only the more subtle ones that you might want. I've never used it as a de-esser as I use the Softube Weiss or the DMG.
The Silver Bullet is not as versatile or complex but sounds really great from subtle to extreme saturation and the eq is sublime.
Great boxes that I'll be using for years to come....
hi Paul

Thx for sharing your thoughts

SB having no distributor in europe is a deal breaker for me, bur i have to agree i really loved all the demos i've heard, those sub and air eq settings are really nice.

How would you compare the eq on the Overstayer ?
Old 29th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnotgnot View Post
hi Paul

Thx for sharing your thoughts

SB having no distributor in europe is a deal breaker for me, bur i have to agree i really loved all the demos i've heard, those sub and air eq settings are really nice.

How would you compare the eq on the Overstayer ?
The eq's are different. The Overstayer has a cool basic eq and resonant filters. The SB has the switchable Bax eq and air. They sound very different too. SB's are easily ordered from the US but I can understand how you might want a distributor.
All in all the Overstayer is generally more powerful in terms of processing but it's hard to compare them as they have such differing features.
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Nut

Thx again for answering

I'm gonna give this beast a try, gonna be fun for sure !!!
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Maniac

One thing I’ve yet to hear discussed regarding the MC is using the CV inputs. Has anyone put these to good use? Curious to know what happens?
Old 3rd January 2020
There's some great examples of the Modular Channel in my new Drum Break sample pack: https://soundcloud.com/paulcheeba/gr...s-demo/s-gBL5S PM for details on the whole 7Gb pack....
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Which combination would be the most versatile, offer more possibilities, Silver Bullet + Overstayer channel or SSL Fusion + Overstayer channel?

Any opinon?

Dan
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan06 View Post
Which combination would be the most versatile, offer more possibilities, Silver Bullet + Overstayer channel or SSL Fusion + Overstayer channel?

Any opinon?

Dan
I have a Fusion, so can only comment on that, but considering that the saturation on it is very subtle, and it offers the EQ, HP Compressor and Stereo Imaging stages, I would say it would be a great companion to the SB or Overtsayer. I’m thinking about adding the LTL Chroma (which is almost a SB in 500 series) to get the best of both worlds.
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

Any opinon?

Dan
i've been debating the same boxes choice lately and i came to the conclusion that Fusion becomes less interesting once you have SB or Overstayer MC.

Only features left would be HF comp and stereo manipulation.

I decided to go with Overstayer + A-designs Nail comp + EQ (still not set on which tho)
Old 7th January 2020
Quote:

Any opinon?

Dan
I'm using the SB and MC together. For its core tone and saturation I love the SB and will never part with it. For sonic exploration potential I can't think of a more versatile piece than the MC, you'll be tinkering with it for months! Endless possibilities for saturation/distortion/compression/filtration. Not ideal if you just want to sit down and write a song, but perfect for your inner mad scientist

Just my 2 cents, not tried the Fusion unfortunately.

PS for anyone wondering how my Black Friday sale went, it was a big fat failure. I had some ideas about plugins I could replace the MC with, but when it came down to it I missed the liveliness of the filters and compression too much. So I'm keeping it for the foreseeable future..!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Jeff Turzo is a mad scientist - this thing is so much fun im getting a second!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
With all these extatic reviews I may buy an Overstayer 8755DS. I need something flexible, to be used on the master bus, on single tracks, etc. The channel may offer such an opportunity but...From my own experience on Gearslutz if you want to have a good overview of a device you should't only ask people's opinion, not only what they like about the device but...

Is there something you dislike about the device? What are the drawbacks? Limitations?

I could not find a single persons who think it is a piece of junk. With 10 pages of comments this is unusual!! Likely not the best tools for mastering, but some on Gesrslutz use the channel that way.

Thank,

Dan
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
With all these extatic reviews I may buy an Overstayer 8755DS. I need something flexible, to be used on the master bus, on single tracks, etc. The channel may offer such an opportunity but...From my own experience on Gearslutz if you want to have a good overview of a device you should't only ask people's opinion, not only what they like about the device but...

Is there something you dislike about the device? What are the drawbacks? Limitations?

I could not find a single persons who think it is a piece of junk. With 10 pages of comments this is unusual!! Likely not the best tools for mastering, but some on Gesrslutz use the channel that way.

Thank,

Dan
Yeah—I rly want to be excited about it and for it to be as good as everyone says, but none of the sound samples here or elsewhere have appealed to me (ie sound better than the unaffected material). The distortion just doesn’t sound like it has any magic to it. It sounds like a pedal, or a boring synth-y kind of distortion. I love the effects of very subtle distortion in a lot of vintage equipment whose main purpose is of course not distortion. The Overstayer to me sounds very—applied. That said, I would love to hear more examples of it and the Imperial Channel. I did recently hear one example of the SFE that maybe had that almost ineffable kind of magic to it. That piece doesn’t seem to arouse much comment now though.

Last edited by plainofjars; 3 weeks ago at 06:03 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Thank,

Dan
No there is nothing wrong with it, it is incredible value in the right hands and ears.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
The distortion just doesn’t sound like it has any magic to it... I love the effects of very subtle distortion in a lot of vintage equipment whose main purpose is of course not distortion.
For context, what are a few examples of gear that you consider to have that subtle magical distortion?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
For context, what are a few examples of gear that you consider to have that subtle magical distortion?
I don’t have anything esoteric in mind. Many of the most vaunted classics—the old 15xx altec stuff (tube and ss), a blue stripe, a 10xx neve eq, an la2a, the old Telefunken/Siemens/tab stuff, even some of the old big tascam mixers. As far as new stuff, the md7 (though I wish it would get perhaps just sliiightly fuzzier).

Obviously none of these things will give you *as much* distortion as the overstayer. There’s a clear quantitative difference. But I’m making a qualitative point about the flavor I hear (or don’t) in the overstayer.

I want it to have distortion *with a personality.*
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I don’t have anything esoteric in mind. Many of the most vaunted classics—the old 15xx altec stuff (tube and ss), a blue stripe, a 10xx neve eq, an la2a, the old Telefunken/Siemens/tab stuff, even some of the old big tascam mixers. As far as new stuff, the md7 (though I wish it would get perhaps just sliiightly fuzzier).

Obviously none of these things will give you *as much* distortion as the overstayer. There’s a clear quantitative difference. But I’m making a qualitative point about the flavor I hear (or don’t) in the overstayer.

In which case The Silver Bullet or the Black Box HG2 is more in line with that kind of distortion.
They're all great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
In which case The Silver Bullet or the Black Box HG2 is more in line with that kind of distortion.
They're all great!
Yeah agreed about the SB—I’m generally more into the recorded examples of that that ppl have shared. But i would love a “Dave Fridmann in a box” unit, but the sound of the overstayer just sounds too bland to my ears for that sort of thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Overstayer to me sounds very—applied.
Well that is most certainly decision based. It doesn’t have to be.

I’ll be honest, for me there’s so many options that it can lead you down a rabbit hole of tweaking. Especially if it’s just an instrument by itself. However when I’m tweaking something that’s already in a mix is when the magic of this unit comes to life.

As it was said earlier it depends on the right hands and ears. I was at Jeff’s House when I bought it and he ran different things through it and started turning knobs like crazy and he was able to hit one unbelievable sweet spot after another. I haven’t heard one demo or even myself hit the sweet spots Jeff managed to effortlessly find.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I haven’t heard one demo or even myself hit the sweet spots Jeff managed to effortlessly find.
Yeah, that's a turn-off for me :\
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Distorsion is one thing but you have also a preamp, filters, EQ, Compressor on this unit. Any opinion on he other features??

Thank,

Dan
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well if you don’t like having to spend some time on a piece of gear before you can find its gold then this piece isn’t the one for you. This certainly wasn’t instantly gratifying. Not for me but maybe for more experienced people.

Last edited by Gringo Starr; 3 weeks ago at 04:34 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Distorsion is one thing but you have also a preamp, filters, EQ, Compressor on this unit. Any opinion on he other features??

Thank,

Dan
Yes you have all that for the price of a compressor or eq. You also have MAS.

It is a great box otherwise it wouldn’t be so popular!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

OMG... Finally found a blackface unit available in Europe... Ordered tonight :-)

Can't wait to work with it !!!
Old 4 days ago
Been loving my Modular Channel. Got it a few months ago. Still getting into using it. This thing is DEEP. But so far, it's been awesome. Recorded a few guitar direct tracks that sound great and sit in the mix perfectly. Ran some drums thru it too. The MC just ****ing rules. Can't recommend Overstayer gear enough.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I got mine a few weeks ago, love it. Awesome for mangling and finding new unique moments (don’t forget to hit record!) love it on drum machine, instruments, really tasty on master bus, can be subtle and sweet. Nothing bad about this box, it will only aid you on your quest for sonic glory
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Thats fine
You re on a steady roll of one negative comment after the other, without even having used the unit.
I use it everyday and its the exact opposite on all your assumptions

Best
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiaris View Post
Thats fine
You re on a steady roll of one negative comment after the other, without even having used the unit.
I use it everyday and its the exact opposite on all your assumptions

Best
A truly bizarre comment. No one is allowed to express their underwhelmed or negative impressions of a piece of gear on these forums? No one is allowed to let other potential GSers who feel like they don’t hear what others think is so great, that they’re not alone? Good lord.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
A truly bizarre comment. No one is allowed to express their underwhelmed or negative impressions of a piece of gear on these forums? No one is allowed to let other potential GSers who feel like they don’t hear what others think is so great, that they’re not alone? Good lord.
Of course they are, and they should.
It's just this particular zeal of stamina and perseverance in ditching everything about it that makes this one stand out so much.
At least thats how it looks on my side
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Dan
The HPF doesn't get talked about much, but it's one of my fave features on the MC. When you push it just under self-resonance and pass loops or soft synths through it, it sounds incredibly alive, especially compared to plugins. And it's stereo

Quote:
The distortion just doesn’t sound like it has any magic to it. It sounds like a pedal, or a boring synth-y kind of distortion.
The HPF is good by itself but combined with MAS and some extra drive from the compressor and it all starts dancing in a really appealing way. Pretty much every module can be driven into distortion/saturation and the interaction between them is a big part of the MC, it's where the magic happens for me. Maybe the examples you heard were just a bit overcooked for your taste.

In the manual Jeff describes it as an instrument, and that really matches with my experience of it. I often track soft synths and real synths through it while 'performing' the HPF, or do live automation takes back through it. Omnisphere, prob my fave soft synth ever, has gained a massive new lease of life through this thing. It takes the digital edge off my Seaboard's MPE synths. Also I now have a HPF for my Sub37

My one big feature request for the MC would be to have CV jacks linked to the filter frequencies as standard, it'd be way more useful in a synth setup.

I mentioned in a previous post I'm not crazy about the EQ - it's perfectly good but not as euphonic as some my analogue faves (Silver Bullet, Freebird, Hammer). Still useful to have in the box though and definitely gets used.

Cheers, T
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search