The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road

I'm a bit of a muso and recording person, so a friend singled me out to help her get rid of some speakers she has that are "cluttering" up her bedroom.

And ... turns out I think they're a bit special!

She doesn't know very much about them but she inherited them from her Great Uncle who was Gilbert Dutton from EMI.

I've had a bit of a look on the interwebs for information and haven't found loads. They were used in cutting rooms and studios at Abbey Road. They were powered by internal amplifiers (Leak TL25's I think) but these have been removed.

Am going over there again at the weekend to take some internal pictures. Of the speakers! Steady ...

I'll post them on here. If anyone knows any information about these speakers, or knows someone who might I'd very much appreciate it. Also if anyone is interested ...
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-20170308_091534.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-20170308_093637.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-20170308_091218.jpg  
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yep that's just clutter for some. Tell her smugly that you can make them disappear - that's what girls really want when they've had enough of something.

And yes, steady......
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Could be one of these?

Behind Ringo ...
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-beatles.jpg  
Old 14th February 2018
Here for the gear

Attached (I hope) is a picture of an EMI Dutton speaker system. I remember them from the '50s and early '60s from the company's advertising campaign in the hifi magazines where they described their speakers as 'dangerous' (to the competition). Most of the Dutton models featured elliptical woofers and metal grills. Their best-known model in the United States was about the size and cost of an AR3, which was its principal compettion in these parts. I fondly remember owning a smaller pair that used an elliptical woofer with a cone tweeter mounted across it coaxially. They were very heavy for their size, with drivers of obviously high quality. Their sound quality was natural and non-fatiguing.
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-_1.jpg  
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Hi
I own a pair

Emi DLS -1 tower
1959 to about 1964
Do u still have them
I have some printed literature if you need it
They were in Abby road and know as the white elephants
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Emi dls -1

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-c859a059-bb18-45f5-8c13-8df88ac99d91.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-773984a3-37dd-40e7-8fb3-46b7e04d5c89.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-6a822f62-e09c-40b4-bfd5-aaacf3476669.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-e0e57426-e0aa-4d4e-98f1-7b2d6ed2f589.jpg  
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

SThe tube amps in these were often leak 25 but sometimes the amps were farmed out to other to make ... I could be wrong but mine have the STD 373 amps made by STD WHICH MAYNHAVE BEEN A subsidery of Emi. And may have been in the same area as the Emi facilities . They also went under the name of OTHOFON . I also found a picture in a Clarke and Smith search who may have been the builders or marketers of the product.

The magic of these speakers is the floating sound stage which was produced by the Leak and other amps having a build in equalizer set at the factory or (contoured ) as the literature states. The speakers simply disappear and you are left with a maybe 6 foot center sound in which you can almost see different sounds in their different space. They also have tight bass for any speaker of any age without being over the top which is often the case with many systems today.

Very refined and almost like having the singer in the room. I listen to mine up th 10 hours a week and worry often what I will do when they die.

You can use other amps with good results and the sound will come at you like a laser( in a good way) but you lose the separation of some of the instruments.

I have liturture if you need it that I can send
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-a04837f2-06a1-46c6-9637-ad99cf1c8425.jpg  
Old 19th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi.
Just to set the record straight,

Clarke & Smith (C&S) made audio kit for schools (mainly) in the 1950's through to the company folding in late 1990's , along with a range of products for the visually impaired marketplace.
For a period in the late 1950's / early 60's EMI had a 50% stake in the firm, and Frank Clarke (co founder & man on left in photo with the speaker and US distributor) was also running the EMI pressing plant at Hayes, middlesex, which he turned from loss to profit.
STD (Scientific & Technical Developements ltd) was a subsidiary of C&S and designed the "orthotone" range of separate pre / power amps that look a little like the Quad 22 preamp in design. I regret I didn't keep my copies of the original schematics drawn up by the STD team, as this clearly shows the "ownership" of the designs, as they were signed off by Alec Smith himself ( the Smith of C&S). As for the later range, they were also made at the C&S factory at Wellington, but Frank Clarke had by then bought out EMI's shareholding and couldn't use the emi trademark logo or "Emisonic" so they reappeared for a short while as "CSISOUND" in a black and silver livery.

The range was primarily for EMI to sell into the USA, as in the mid 50's there was still a drive to export post WW2. This didn't work out long term as the US distributor folded, and the marketing opportunity lost.
The slimline look of the later units (600 series) was achieved by tilting the EL84's over at about 45 degrees to reduce the cabinet height.

Although the 2" crt tube was unusual ( I think Scots had something similar, and Marantz), and the press reviews ok, the range never got selling in the UK until the decision was made to clear it out and the last few hundred went to the discount hifi shops ancestral London of the day (Lasky's and Smith's , mainly)

C&S / Orthotone and age whole operation went the way of many other names from the period, never making it to the "Big Time" of Leak, Quad or Wharfedale. (although all of these are now Chinese owned trademarks, along with other names such as Rogers and Ekco)

I worked for C&S in the 1990's as a sales manager, and knew Frank Clarke,who was chairman until his death and reported to his second wife who was C.O.O, and took over in the final years.
I have the 50th birthday book, and a copy (somewhere ) of the corporate brochure from early 1960's when EMI had sold their shares and the company restructured to include some old EMI subsidiaries they wanted to sell.

As far as the "REDD" version is concerned, this indicates the units had been modified by / approved by EMI's studio engineering folk , and met the stricter requirements to be used at Abbey Road. This process took a while and was hard to get through, as is shown by the fact that the lack of an 8 track recorder at abbey road , which was bought but waiting REDD modification, forced EMI's biggest starts, The Beatles, out to other London studios for the White Album sessions.

regards. Mark.
Old 19th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks Mark for that wonderful update and clarification and spelling corrections... if you do have any other photos and such it would be great to see.
Also if you ever know anyone selling any of the gear keep in touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-9583e8e5-7ef3-470d-8089-c11b7527b85b.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-4db71423-a930-47dd-8e3b-a65bebfc9fe7.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-323706f3-0f31-4ad3-8f7f-e32346c81630.jpg   Redd. 36 Column Speakers from Abbey Road-fefb9790-dc11-494d-8a71-06c5f7d2a3af.jpeg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search