The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunkin Condenser Microphones
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Telefunkin

Can anyone suggest a (less expensive) mic that's comparable to the sound offered by the telefunkin 251.. Or am I looking for a unicorn here?

Edit: The more and more I read/hear of the telefunkin.. the less likely it seems that much will compare.. but if anyone could recommend any vintage mics under $2000 that offer similarities, please don't hesitate to share!

Thanks in advance if anyone responds
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
There is the Telefunken AR-51 at < $2k, it might be close in sound, but you can check that.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Guru

The Advanced Audio CM251 is a lovely sounding mic. I've never done more than touched a real 251 in Blackbird's mic locker, so I can't speak to its direct comparison. I really dig this mic, and plan to probably buy one in time.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Lauten 320, then swap the tube.... under $500.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
There is the Telefunken AR-51 at < $2k, it might be close in sound, but you can check that.
The "TelefunkenUSA / Telefunken Elektroakustik " (distinct from the actual, original Telefunken company)...is really one of the better choices in the price range. The thing is to make sure to catch the one with the edge terminated C12-esque capsule, not the earlier k67 derived.

It will not be an ELAM, but it will have the ballpark signature, and be made by a company that is cranking out a lot of product, so it will tend to be easy to get parts should it ever be needed.

Mics like the Tab Funkenwerk UM25, Cathedral Guitars OA-1, Lucas CS 1, Bock 241 and 251 are all WELL worth looking at too, though may not all be available at the moment... and eek a bit closer towards the goal to varying extents.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict

Newman's are nice.

Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

All fantastic suggestions. Thank you, again for your time!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search