The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Biamping proac studio100’s? Monitor Controllers
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Biamping proac studio100’s?

Has anyone taken the time to biamp the proac studio 100’s?

Is it worth it and how would you describe the difference?

Thanks,

Ej
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

In my experience, there is very little benefit to bi-amping in general with most speakers. I've done listening tests of my own (admittedly not with ProAcs), and found there to be hardly any difference. Bear in mind the tweeter amp is still having to amplify LF content too, so you need an equally powerful amp for tweeter and midwoofer if you do want to have a go at doing it...
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
In my experience, there is very little benefit to bi-amping in general with most speakers. I've done listening tests of my own (admittedly not with ProAcs), and found there to be hardly any difference. Bear in mind the tweeter amp is still having to amplify LF content too, so you need an equally powerful amp for tweeter and midwoofer if you do want to have a go at doing it...
i have never knowingly heard biamped monitors either…i guess mains at some studio. I get it in theory but not even sure How i would wire it. I cost pick up a pair of bryston mono blocks as they have 1 xlr in and 4 speaker terminals out but I am not sure the extra $1k+ or so to do this would give me a $1k worth of difference over running them with a bryston 4bsst is stereo.

The gearslut in me is curious though

ej
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Maniac
i've used proac 100's for about 15 years.

i think i biamped them once...never did it again.

i liked them just fine running full range. i also use ns10's and i always had an m&k powered sub that i could pop on now and then if i wanted/needed more low end.

i've always had 2 mono acurus amps on them or at times i've used my dynaco st70 tube amp, and both sounded fantastic.
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

There is actually very little benefit to bi-amping. It doesn't give you any more headroom or level - both amps are still running full range and will clip/distort at the same time, regardless of whether they're driving the tweeter or the woofer. I suppose there could be some benefit in terms of reduced IM distortion, but that's only if your amplifier isn't really doing it's job properly, I think even then the benefits would be minimal.

Although many hifi stores would have you believe otherwise...
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

A little heresy

Biamping does little if anything at the loud end, but can clear up low-level detail and harmonics quite a bit. Biwiring can do the same, but only if the 2 wire pairs to each speaker are kept an inch or more apart for their run, except at the ends where they have to come together. That's hard to implement in most studios, but if you get the chance to experiment, try it.

Some years back Richard Vandersteen, who makes hifi speakers, wrote a paper on biamping and biwiring. It has apparently disappeared into the internet fog somewhere. He tried biamping, then made up amps for each channel consisting of two amps on a common chassis, ganged together at the outputs. Finally, he tried biwiring, both with wire pairs in a common sheath, and then with them separated. He heard improvements with biamping and biwiring, but only when the wire pairs to each speaker were kept apart for most of their run.

He measured the Hall-effect field strength of the relatively high-current woofer wire pair vs the much weaker field around the tweeter pair, and suggested that strong field caused by the woofer wires could affect the current in the tweeter pair enough to be audible. I think he may have got it right.

Cheers,
WW
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Way View Post
Biamping does little if anything at the loud end, but can clear up low-level detail and harmonics quite a bit. Biwiring can do the same, but only if the 2 wire pairs to each speaker are kept an inch or more apart for their run, except at the ends where they have to come together. That's hard to implement in most studios, but if you get the chance to experiment, try it.

Some years back Richard Vandersteen, who makes hifi speakers, wrote a paper on biamping and biwiring. It has apparently disappeared into the internet fog somewhere. He tried biamping, then made up amps for each channel consisting of two amps on a common chassis, ganged together at the outputs. Finally, he tried biwiring, both with wire pairs in a common sheath, and then with them separated. He heard improvements with biamping and biwiring, but only when the wire pairs to each speaker were kept apart for most of their run.

He measured the Hall-effect field strength of the relatively high-current woofer wire pair vs the much weaker field around the tweeter pair, and suggested that strong field caused by the woofer wires could affect the current in the tweeter pair enough to be audible. I think he may have got it right.

Cheers,
WW
so if i got 2 bryston mono blocks…each block has 4 outputs..2 for out a and 2 for out b and matching cables (straight wire), would this do the trick?

I am using a monitor st.

I might be willing to try this if it gets more detail out of the pro acs.

just a thought...
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Two sets of outputs makes things a little easier, but you only need one set. Pics show both wire pairs attached to the amp's outputs; I only have one set of binding posts on each amp. At the speaker end, one wire pair goes to the +/- high-frequency binding posts, and the other wire pair goes to the low-frequency binding posts. (The bottom-right speaker binding post is a separate earth connection Tannoy provides that I haven't used yet.) My wires, btw, are the stiff "anti-cables" which used to be cheap, now (ahem) "reasonable" by audiophile standards.

Let us know what, if anything, you hear.

Cheers,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Biamping proac studio100’s?-manley.jpg   Biamping proac studio100’s?-tannoy.jpg   Biamping proac studio100’s?-biwire3.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search