The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam m520 quality
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Tascam m520 quality

Sup fellas.
Not sure what to name this thread..

My ex industry friend and mentor recently picked up a used tascam m520 online. Beautiful board.. warm preamps.. big faders and knobs.. sweepable eq.. numerous routing options.. etc.. just.. really nice in general.. I'm sure many of you are familiar.

I'm shopping for the board that's gonna occupy my studio once my fiance and I purchase a house in the next 2 years tops.

Can anyone make some suggestions as to where I should start looking considering I really like the overall design of the m520? I'm not opposed to suggestions related to any brand.

I've been giving neve modular series a hard look. I don't intend to spend more than 10k on this purchase and from what I've read online, that's gonna be pushing it even for a used neve in great condition.

Obviously, I'd like to save money where possible.. but not at the expense of quality.

I do want something analogue that will add color, and I'd prefer to get something that I'll be happy recording with for the rest of my life. With that being said, by all means, anything that comes to your mind.. please share! This is not a small purchase for me, and I will most likely research any and all boards recommended in this thread.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered! ^^
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam m520 quality-20180124_212805.jpg   Tascam m520 quality-20180124_212814.jpg  

Last edited by FreshProduce; 9th February 2018 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Sorry for the sideways pics
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I just gave away my Tascam M50. I believe it's in the same sonic territory as the 520. Yep, liked the layout (split config so limited but easy) and the warmth. Didn't think it was up to digital noise specs though so I upgraded.

These old Tascam boards show up on Craigslist here in L.A. on occasion if you're patient, and usually quite cheap (hundreds). If you have the money, and it sounds like you do... there's a Tascam M-600 on there now for $5k (not affiliated) which would be a step up from a 520. Happy hunting.
Old 10th February 2018
Gear Nut

Personally I much preferred the Soundcraft 6000 I bought after owning a 520. Those 80's mixes hold up even today. The 520 didn't last long with me. Dimensionally flat sounding regardless of my efforts to squeeze some real performance out of it.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
The 520 didn't last long with me. Dimensionally flat sounding regardless of my efforts to squeeze some real performance out of it.
I bought a M520 brand new, and had it hooked up to an Otari 2" 24 track machine at one point. Agree with the comment above: low headroom, one-dimensional sound.

I upgraded to a Neotek console (this was in 1990 or so) and never looked back. Anything modern would be worlds better than an M520 sound-wise if you ask me.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Great stuff guys, please keep it coming!
This is exactly what I need to hear
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
Personally I much preferred the Soundcraft 6000 I bought after owning a 520. Those 80's mixes hold up even today. The 520 didn't last long with me. Dimensionally flat sounding regardless of my efforts to squeeze some real performance out of it.
Isn't the soundcraft really more of a live board than a recording board?

I definitely could use direct outputs on whatever I end up getting
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

No, the 6000 was mainly a recording board. Here is the manual https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634...G_original.pdf
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

After having researched extensively for the last year and change, I have recently been extremely interested in the Yamaha MGP32X for my home studio once my wife and I purchase a house. The LS9-32 is looking real good to me as well.

My interest went from Tascam M520, to Neotek, to Trident, back to tascam, soundcraft, then API and the list went on.
I've already been producing on Yamaha units for 10 years. I trust and respect them as a company. I appreciate their understanding of functionality, and I think many of their products are well rounded. I was considering HS8 for my spot as well, but have since been leaning towards Adam

The prospect of being able to transport the unit if need be, is admittedly nice. I will say that the only drawback that I can foresee, is only having 2 FX busses
I can always weasel my way around it.. but I'd personally prefer at least 4 for a stationary unit. I feel that this is the 'roadtrip' selling point, honestly

Is anyone able to make an updated recommendation?

What console is essentially the Yamaha MGP32X with extra FX sends???

Am I being greedy?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

can you argue with success?

most of the Alias album was recorded through a tascam m520 onto a 1 inch 85-16b tape recorder, notably the big hit "more than words can say" which went on to number 1 on billboard in the 90's
so is the tascam good enough?
i was fortunate to have engineered, co-produced and played on the record.
i would agree that there will be times you will want to use outboard eq.... each channel has insert points.
and mixing the recordings on another platform would be a worthwhile exercise (we remixed it on an ssl)
if your expectations are to get good value from a very flexible low cost writing tracking workshop type board... it's worth looking at. but yes, these days there are great many consoles for bargain prices also worth looking at
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm seriously leaning towards a 2013 revision of the Toft atb32
Only thing I dislike about it is how close together the knobs are.. I've never seen a board that I was this interested in with such.. uncomfortable looking EQ
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search