The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
12,000 $ monitors suggestion ? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Personally I'm not sure I'd say there are 'no bad choices' - although there are plenty of good options, I've also used plenty of really quite poor monitors around this price (including some very well known and popular names). Just because you see monitor X or Y in a lot of places on console meter bridges or soffits does not mean it's a particularly good speaker - a lot of the time it's to do with who ran a deal with who at the right time.

Most engineers I know still take their own monitors to studios here in London, hence I don't think most studio owners are that fussed about the monitoring as long as it looks good on the website/looks flashy for clients.

Use your ears and for ABSOLUTELY make sure you do some direct comparisons in your own room - this will sort the chalk from the cheese, and tell you precisely which kind of cheese you actually want to eat...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=AlexK;13134910]Personally I'm not sure I'd say there are 'no bad choices' - although there are plenty of good options, I've also used plenty of really quite poor monitors around this price (including some very well known and popular names).[/sQUOTE]

The OP listed four manufacturers and included five models total. If you think any of them are “really quite poor” monitors, please identify them. That would be of some value.
I have not used “plenty of monitors around this price”. I was not aware that there ARE plenty of studio monitors above $10,000. Maybe “plenty” could denote a far smaller number for you than most of us would expect.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If you've got a large budget like 12K to spend on monitors then I can only think of three letters where my money would go.

ATC.

Probably the 25's unless your room can take the 45's - both are utterly fantastic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Dutch & Dutch 8C......

I much prefer to ATC or anything else I have used over the last 25 Years.
I your price range I would Definitely audition.
The Translation is remarkable and I am working quicker.
Old 1 week ago
7+1
Lives for gear

I've said it before and ill say it again...

ATC SCM45A Pro..

Best money ive spent..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have to chime in at this point.
And I am positively surprised that people suggest the right speakers and not all the KRK, Adam, HEDD bullsh***.
Even Barefoot, in my humble opinion, is hugely overrated.

So yes, with 12k$ you should look and hear into these: ATC, PMC, D&D, Kii
Forget everything else.
With all the mentioned above you can't go wrong.. and in the end it comes down to personal taste and preferences.

my 0.25 cents

Last edited by midmost; 1 week ago at 10:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
... So yes, with 12k$ you should look and hear into these: ATC, PMC, D&D, Kii
Forget everything else ...
Agree but do they have to rhyme (atC, pmC, d&D, kiI) or can we add Amphion, Focal & Genelec?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I am positively surprised that people suggest the right speakers and not all the KRK, Adam, HEDD ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
do they have to rhyme
Yes.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Bushman;13134984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Personally I'm not sure I'd say there are 'no bad choices' - although there are plenty of good options, I've also used plenty of really quite poor monitors around this price (including some very well known and popular names).[/sQUOTE]

The OP listed four manufacturers and included five models total. If you think any of them are “really quite poor” monitors, please identify them. That would be of some value.
I have not used “plenty of monitors around this price”. I was not aware that there ARE plenty of studio monitors above $10,000. Maybe “plenty” could denote a far smaller number for you than most of us would expect.
I'm sorry my post was not of any value to you, but unfortunately I don't wish to elaborate any more than in my previous post.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=AlexK;13138779]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post

I'm sorry my post was not of any value to you, but unfortunately I don't wish to elaborate any more than in my previous post.
I will try to deal with my resulting sharp sense of loss. Thanks for replying, however enigmatically.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Strauss .....? there is no problem ....just do that !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSField View Post
Strauss .....? there is no problem ....just do that !
Pics or didnt happen ..
Old 1 week ago
t_d
Lives for gear

i'll add ++ that the room needs to be right. after i had my room re-designed by a professional and the Euro fell against the USD, i could afford a pair of Geithain RL901k which i had wanted for so long having worked on them before.. so that's what i went for and they've been wonderful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Old 1 week ago
mymixisbetterthanyours!

There's different ways to tackle this.

All assuming your room is already quite good:

Speakers for you max amount of money
Speakers + optimizer box for your max amount of money.

All the usual suspects have already been named. I'm a personal fan of PMCs, especially the IB2 and MB2XBD (out of your budget). I own B&W N802 myself, also a valid speaker.

I'm also a big fan of the Trinnov optimizer boxes. Even with high-end monitors in professionally designed rooms.
At work we have several studios with 5.1/7.1/stereo sets of different Neumann monitors all going trough the Trinnovs. The difference is just astonishing!

Give them a try!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you all for the replies ! I appreciate it !

I went with the Kii Three's , next week i'll place an order for them !!!

Thank you once again !
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
Thank you all for the replies ! I appreciate it !

I went with the Kii Three's , next week i'll place an order for them !!!

Thank you once again !

before putting down your final order, at least listen to D&D 8C !
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
before putting down your final order, at least listen to D&D 8C !
i can't do that, i dont have a place were to listent !
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i can't do that, i dont have a place were to listent !
How about your own place? Normally you don't buy high end monitors without listening to them in your own room.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
How about your own place? Normally you don't buy high end monitors without listening to them in your own room.
Yeah , normally ....

my situation was : choose from the 4 options above !! that's it !
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah , normally ....

my situation was : choose from the 4 options above !! that's it !
I believe the point raised by earcatcher is that you choose to get these monitors without even listen to the monitors on the list, and when you're doing that kind of investement I'd usually at least go in other rooms/studio and listen to them (would be better to mix but at least listen).

Like this is really a shot in the dark..
Although every monitor on the list is for sure good enough to provide professional results, you still don't know what is YOUR preferred monitor between them, and reading my or other comments/opinion on a forum will not change that.

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search