The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Locker Climate Condenser Microphones
Old 8th February 2018
Here for the gear
Mic Locker Climate

I am the new owner of a couple of high-end mics that I'd like to treat well. There's a lot of talk about "climate controlled mic lockers", but I've never heard to what values the climate is being controlled. Specifically, ideal temp and humidity values (what else is there?), and what kind of deviation is still within an acceptable range.

My best guess is that a target temp of around 60F, and a target humidity of 50%, are both reasonable targets. Those numbers are bound to vary somewhat even in the most controlled environments, but how much is ok?

Does anyone have a more scientific understanding of the ideal numbers, and what tolerance mics have for deviation? A second question might be, is this also applicable to other electronic (audio) gear? And a third question might be, am I being to anal?(!) In other words, is "keep 'em dry, and don't let 'em freeze" good enough? Thanks for the input.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a small anecdote to illustrate how well "high end" microphones can deal with extreme temperatures and humidity:

When AKG designed the C1, which turned into the C2, and which, in 1953, was refined enough to become the C12, the company already had sizable business with South America. So it made sure that its new studio condenser would work flawlessly in temperatures as high as 100º and humidity in excess of 90% - both conditions not unusual in Rio De Janeiro and other hubs of the sub-continent.

So, don't worry. Though some Neumann LD capsules may be a bit more comfortable with lower humidity than AKG's famous CK12 as used in the C12, high end mics (if they truly deserve the term!) will be fine in most studio environs encountered today, no extraordinary climate controls required.

Just don't transport these mics in a car's trunk in the summer. And, should they have been super-cold for a while, give them a few hours to acclimate and lose capsule condensation.
Old 8th February 2018
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Here is a small anecdote to illustrate how well "high end" microphones can deal with extreme temperatures and humidity:

When AKG designed the C1, which turned into the C2, and which, in 1953, was refined enough to become the C12, the company already had sizable business with South America. So it made sure that its new studio condenser would work flawlessly in temperatures as high as 100º and humidity in excess of 90% - both conditions not unusual in Rio De Janeiro and other hubs of the sub-continent.

So, don't worry. Though some Neumann LD capsules may be a bit more comfortable with lower humidity than AKG's famous CK12 as used in the C12, high end mics (if they truly deserve the term!) will be fine in most studio environs encountered today, no extraordinary climate controls required.

Just don't transport these mics in a car's trunk in the summer. And, should they have been super-cold for a while, give them a few hours to acclimate and lose capsule condensation.
In simpler terms, northern Germany gets bloody cold in winter. Southern Germany gets pretty damn hot in summer. Climate controlled boxes were certainly not the norm in the 1950s and they are not the norm in Europe now. Be sensible with them and they will be fine.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

ask our friends from location recording: they've been using mics under most any extreme conditions!

(my schoeps performe well anywhere from warm african rainforests to cold european mountains)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search