The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones for accurate clean electric guitar Studio Headphones
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Headphones for accurate clean electric guitar

I've currently got Sennheiser HD600 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (custom fit). I'm using them with the headphone-out of a Prism Lyra. I play mainly guitar-based old-style country, and I'm really looking for something which will let me hear an accurate tone when recording. The HD600 always sounds a bit too warm and woolly. They're okay for general listening, but I find them too rich for tweaking a tone which then sounds good on other systems. The UERMs might be a little more accurate (and are certainly better for balancing drum/guitar levels etc. when mixing), but I'm not sure that they actually fit me and are firing into the correct parts of my ear- perhaps I just don't like the muffling effect of in-ear phones.

I've been thinking that I need a dedicated headphone amp, but without trying one (or a load of them) I'm not sure it's really going to make much difference compared to the Prism.

Today's thinking is that perhaps a differently voiced pair of headphones might be a better thing to chase. I'm curious about Grados. They seem to get wildly varying reviews, so I'm not sure how they would reproduce clean electric guitar. Do you think they'd be a good option? I've read that all the Grados have a similar sound, so if they're likely to work for me I'd be tempted to buy a pair of the SR80e first to see how I get on with them.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Head

Before buying a new headphone try demoing the sonarworks headphone plugin. it corrects or rather flattens the response of the headphone. i have hd650 which i find too wooly as well, and use the plugin with it and i think it works pretty well. the plugin has settings for many popular hp’s including the 600.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for reminding me about Sonarworks. I'll download the trial and see what difference it makes with the HD600.
Old 8th February 2018
Hd600 sound OK for general listening.... hmmmm maybe all those years of loud guitar has damaged your hearing?
Try beyer dt770 or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x you should be fine w either of those for your guitar
Cheers
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the recommendations. There are so many headphones out there which are supposedly voiced for mixing, but it's not difficult to find a wide range of reviews on them.

I don't think my ears are damaged - I don't play loud, and I've tried to protect my hearing over the years. I've owned HD600 headphones since shortly after they were launched (probably 20 years) and there's just something about them - I still can't decide whether or not I like them! However, for whatever reason, they don't seem to work for me as recording phones, but I don't have much experience with other recording headphones. I've been considering others such as the Shure SH1840, AKGs, and even an electrostatic etc etc, but reviews are all over the place, and it's really difficult to make a decision without being able to try them!
Old 9th February 2018
you might want to look into isolated headphones....
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I downloaded and had a quick play with Sonarworks, and I think that might do the trick. I'll need to experiment more, and I have a few questions about it, but if it works out I'll send my headphones off for calibration.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I downloaded and had a quick play with Sonarworks, and I think that might do the trick. I'll need to experiment more, and I have a few questions about it, but if it works out I'll send my headphones off for calibration.
yeah i didn’t even bother with the calibration since they already have a preset calibration for the sennheisers in the plugin. also, i do second the above suggestion for isolated headphones. when tracking or dialing in guitar sounds i actually use sennheiser momentums, which are closed over the ear and noise cancelling. i also have my amp in my own ****ty home made isolation box. i assume you are recording and playing your amp in the same room? the downside is of course you dont get the room sound when using an iso box but my room has crappy acoustics anyhow. the big plus here is that between the iso box and the closed headphones i can hear exactly the sound being recorded, with less bleed if you will from the amp to my ears distorting what i hear. i then use the hd 650’s with sonarworks for mixing/referencing.
Old 10th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by efernando View Post
Before buying a new headphone try demoing the sonarworks headphone plugin.
It is remarkable!
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Head

thats the best avatar ever! i swear i was tryin to crush it on my phone i though it was stuck under the case
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search