The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JCF Audio DA8-T anyone? Digital Converters
Old 5th February 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
JCF Audio DA8-T anyone?

I have two JCF Audio AD-8s that are sublime but I am curious if any Slutz have the new DA8-T?
I am waiting with hi Hopes for your experiences......
Old 7th February 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
I have my eye on these converters, so I am curious to hear any responses myself. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 18th February 2018
  #3
CEB
Gear Head
 

Curious as well.
Old 6th April 2018
  #4
Gear Nut
Bump... come on gearslutz, the maker of one of the most highly regarded AD's puts out a new 8 channel DA with a similarly unique and "musically" oriented design with custom transformers. Somebody has to have heard it and we want to know all about it...

BTW: Nomatic, do you have links to any albums that were tracked on your AD8's?
Old 9th May 2018
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Zoot's Avatar
Currently selling a ton of gear to upgrade my HDX system from 2x HDIO 16x16 Analogs to 1x JCF AD8 DA8-T via HDIO digital. I am going to have to majorly reconfigure how I work, as I have become accustomed to using high channel counts for fifteen years... but I know that it will be a far superior sounding system and I will have to spend less time mixing. I'm really looking forward to it.

I will be sure to update this thread when I've made some recordings with the new system.
Old 9th May 2018
  #6
Gear Nut
 

I have one. Super clear, high output. It's phenomenal, end of story.

Probably not a fair comparison but it eats the Burl Mothership for breakfast.
Old 9th May 2018
  #7
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin View Post
I have one. Super clear, high output. It's phenomenal, end of story.

Probably not a fair comparison but it eats the Burl Mothership for breakfast.
That's good to know. Yes "high output" is usually something I notice about high-end converters. For the same digital level, I noticed my Symphony was just much louder than my blackface Apollo 8 and the Symphony could go much louder without distorting via its calibration options. Same thing with the JCF DA8-V versus my Symphony or Revive modded Lucid 88192. The DA8-V is louder at the stock calibration for the same digital level and the DA8-V can go MUCH louder via its calibration knobs. Its a problem for me mainly because it makes it tricky to use the weaker converters together with the stronger ones for summing. You end up turning up the digital level on the weak ones or turning down the strong ones. So the problem ends up reinforcing my opinion that the analog line level drivers are usually inadequate on the mid-grade converters which leads to less than ideal gain staging and this is mainly why the end result is worse with mid-grade converters. That's not even going into the more esoteric design features of the JCF AD8's or DA8's which lead to that magical end result. The AD8's are so good it almost makes up for cheap DA's. I really want to add a DA8-T to my setup for clean summing channels and monitoring.
Old 9th May 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
Thanks Dubbin for chiming in!


Can't wait to get the DA8-Ts for the new summing rig with the CAPI Sum Buss.....

I also think the AD-8s eat the Burl for lunch (or for that matter any other digital
system I have used)

Mixing simply takes less work.

Josh is a Magician ......
Old 11th May 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin View Post
.. it eats the Burl Mothership for breakfast.
I doubt that statement a fair bit actually.

Last edited by ray_subsonic; 12th May 2018 at 07:14 AM..
Old 11th May 2018
  #10
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
I doubt that statement.
Fair enough. Given that the JCF is significantly more expensive per channel and about twice the footprint it isn't hard to believe it would be at least a little better but I have not compared them head to head myself.
Old 11th May 2018
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
I doubt that statement.
I often work in a big studio with 64 channels of the Mothership DA between two rooms. For the record, I think the Burl stuff sounds great as well.

That being said, the JCF has more drive on the output and is clearer and punchier with deeper low end. As has been mentioned, it is way more expensive.

Not a subtle difference.
Old 11th May 2018
  #12
Gear Nut
I'm sure the Burl sounds great too. I have 2 JCF AD8's and a JCF DA8-V and the sound when summed in my Fat Bustard LE II is very deep, 3d and holographic. Maybe there is something better out there but I'm pretty happy with it. Finally not thinking about going back to a tape machine anymore.

Last edited by veggieryan; 11th May 2018 at 06:07 AM..
Old 11th May 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
I have a JCF DA8-V arriving next week. I'll be able to A/B it with the Burl B80 Mothership, should be interesting. Next item on the GAS list is the AD8. The DA8-T is most likely another killer piece, but I just couldn't resist those transformers on the DA8-V.
Old 11th May 2018
  #14
Gear Nut
Be sure and invite a friend to help you lift it up into the rack while you screw it in... or two friends.. or even better, three...
Old 12th May 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
Yeah the Dav is heavy as hell I lifted it myself and almost broke my wrist putting on the rack when I had it. I will be looking at the new jcf eventually.
Old 13th May 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Yeah the Dav is heavy as hell I lifted it myself and almost broke my wrist putting on the rack when I had it. I will be looking at the new jcf eventually.
Spektor, what AD do you have besides the Qes? Im probably gonna get a BLA modded HD I/O myself.
Old 13th May 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
Qes and mytek x8 that's all. I had the mytek Brooklyn I kinda miss that one only had it a week then sold it to afford the Qes. I would like a tracking ad. Something with more bite. I was driving the mixmaster in to the Qes. And after j heard the mix on my stereo I thought it sounded like I mixed in the box means that the conversion felt like it did not happen. It is so clean anyway Blk modded that's that?
Old 15th May 2018
  #18
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead57 View Post
I have a JCF DA8-V arriving next week. I'll be able to A/B it with the Burl B80 Mothership, should be interesting. Next item on the GAS list is the AD8. The DA8-T is most likely another killer piece, but I just couldn't resist those transformers on the DA8-V.
I'd really appreciate your first impressions.

Do you think that DA8-V would fit for any kind of music ?
Old 16th May 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by esencia View Post
I'd really appreciate your first impressions.

Do you think that DA8-V would fit for any kind of music ?
I'm just getting started with it. So far the sound is HUGE, very thick and 3D and all that. Much like what was described by others on this forum. It's all true.

Is it fit for any kind of music? Sure, I think it will be fit for anything, any genre or style. That's just off the top of my head at the moment, but I don't think this system has any limitations. In fact, I'd say it will most likely open up new avenues that I have yet to discover.
Old 16th May 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Qes and mytek x8 that's all. I had the mytek Brooklyn I kinda miss that one only had it a week then sold it to afford the Qes. I would like a tracking ad. Something with more bite. I was driving the mixmaster in to the Qes. And after j heard the mix on my stereo I thought it sounded like I mixed in the box means that the conversion felt like it did not happen. It is so clean anyway Blk modded that's that?
The BLA mod of the avid HD I/O is supposed to improve things significantly so ive got my fingers crossed its all I expect it to be even though another member here confirmed it is extremely worth it. Im getting the 8x8 XB mod probably monday or as soon as sweetwater sends me a RA. Im getting the HD I/O this friday so im gonna connect it to the HDX and make sure everything is working correctly then disconnect it and send it off to get modded. Wish me luckl
Old 16th May 2018
  #21
Gear Addict
 
Zoot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
The BLA mod of the avid HD I/O is supposed to improve things significantly so ive got my fingers crossed its all I expect it to be even though another member here confirmed it is extremely worth it. Im getting the 8x8 XB mod probably monday or as soon as sweetwater sends me a RA. Im getting the HD I/O this friday so im gonna connect it to the HDX and make sure everything is working correctly then disconnect it and send it off to get modded. Wish me luckl
HDIO 16x16 Analog = ~$300 per I/O
JCF AD8 & DA8T = ~1,000 per I/O

I would not waste any money on the BLA mod... and while I wish you luck, I have no idea why this post is on a JCF DA8-T thread.

Apples to diamond encrusted oranges.
Old 16th May 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
HDIO 16x16 Analog = ~$300 per I/O
JCF AD8 & DA8T = ~1,000 per I/O

I would not waste any money on the BLA mod... and while I wish you luck, I have no idea why this post is on a JCF DA8-T thread.

Apples to diamond encrusted oranges.
Seems like Spektor asked, sorry didnt mean to pollute your thread.
Old 20th May 2018
  #23
Gear Addict
 

I want some of these. I do use a latte for mix out capture.. i can tell you next to a Studer A80RC I don't hear a huge difference in what it does, oh and doesnt hiss
Old 19th January 2019
  #24
Gear Nut
How are most of you getting in and out of the computer with your JCF converters?
Are you using an Avid 192 digital I/O?
Old 19th January 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
RME HDSPe AES card (Sonnet chassis) via Thunderbolt.
Old 19th January 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
nomatic's Avatar
Lynx AES 16
Old 25th January 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 
Zoot's Avatar
HDIO digital in 1-16 (analog out 1-16) via HDX/Mac Pro

It's an AES/EBU output. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use a 192 digital.

Clock it off the bi-phase signal.
Old 25th January 2019
  #28
Gear Nut
Metric Halo ULN-8 3D via AES. Nice interface BTW... lets you use the respectable built-in preamps with direct analog outs to my JCF AD8 also on the AES.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Here for the gear
 

Whats the price for this ?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoomran View Post
Whats the price for this ?
$4312

PEP option adds $529
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump