The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sterling Modular-Out of Business??? What Happened???
Old 27th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
You damaged someone’s business.

Then I used the English language to describe what you did.
You have it backwards. Sterling damaged themselves by not delivering as promised and, even more so, by not communicating properly. Your indignation is misplaced.

This is the age of transparency. Customers can always give feedback and potential customers can look up reviews and feedback by others. It behoves any business to be aware of that and always communicate properly with customers regardless of anything else.

And if you are really worried about Sterling's reputation, why bump up this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGP View Post
This thread should be deleted. Quickly. There are companies out there that deserve to be shamed and receive bad press. Sterling Modular is not one of them.

In today's society, the internet and social media can do more damage to a company than the best of lawyers.
In today's world, businesses can do more damage to themselves than the best of lawyers by not communicating properly.

Alistair
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I again chastise SRS for even starting with his heavy handed and panicked approach. So amateurish and unnecessary.

In internet searches, his post hints at Sterling being out of business.

It’s hard enough in Pro Audio without this totally unendorsed approach.

I don’t care whether he apologized or not. Oh wait, he didn’t apologize. Shameful.
Agreed. Shameful for a thread like this to even be started damaging an honest, hard working company. People are so selfish and impatient these days. Building studio furniture takes time. When I built my studio I used another reputable company. The wait was about the same, and that is completely reasonable. Sterling is a great company. It’s not right for someone’s impatience and selfishness to impact a reputable company. Mods should delete this thread out of fairness towards Sterling. And customers should be patient and wait for their studio desks. Quality takes time. If you want it now - then you’ll have to settle for garbage and go to Ikea
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

To me it’s all about communication and Sterling owned up to it. It’s not always going to be the right answer, but you need to communicate. I think the OP tried and got frustrated. Fortunately we have the forum as a resource.

I hope this turns out well for everyone but I also hope it’s a learning situation for Sterling.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

I love the transparency the net gives us. Why should this thread be deleted? Did the op make things up to cause harm or did he report missed deadlines and poor communication. I appreciate all the feedback I read on gs good or bad if its accurate.
Old 28th February 2018
UGP
Gear Nut

I'll tell you why this thread should be deleted.

(1) If you google search "Sterling Modular gearslutz", as I do with any product I am researching, the second link that pops up states "Sterling Modular - Out Of Business??? What Happened???". The thread title by itself is misleading, inaccurate, unfair, and could cost the company sales.

(2) The story is unclear as the OP deleted all of his posts.

I'd hate to see this company unnecessarilly impacted as a result of this thread; they produce great products.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru

As you guys insist....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
People are so selfish and impatient these days.
If the company gives a delivery date and nothing shows up and there is no communication then people are being selfish and impatient?

Sounds more to me like a bunch of fans can't handle legitimate criticism against a company not communicating adequately.

Quote:
Building studio furniture takes time.
Answering email doesn't. And if the company is swamped with orders, writing a simple auto-responder hardly takes time either. (Same for a standard voice mail message).

Quote:
It’s not right for someone’s impatience and selfishness to impact a reputable company.
The only person damaging the company was the company itself by not communicating adequately.

Quote:
Mods should delete this thread out of fairness towards Sterling.
Why? Anyone reading the thread can see what happened and that Rick sorted things out in the end. And, again, if companies don't want to be criticised, they have to be above criticism. In this case, simple communication is all that was needed.

Quote:
And customers should be patient and wait for their studio desks.
So when a delivery date is given but there is no desk (and no tracking number if I recall correctly) and they can't contact the manufacturer then people should just do nothing? You guys really are nuts.

Quote:
Quality takes time. If you want it now - then you’ll have to settle for garbage and go to Ikea
You, Plush and UGP are missing the point completely. The OP was not impatient. The OP was seriously worried about the money he paid to a company that did not deliver and was unreachable!

Alistair
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGP View Post
I'll tell you why this thread should be deleted.

(1) If you google search "Sterling Modular gearslutz", as I do with any product I am researching, the second link that pops up states "Sterling Modular - Out Of Business??? What Happened???". The thread title by itself is misleading, inaccurate, unfair, and could cost the company sales.
The thread title is 100% accurate. That is exactly what the OP was wondering when Sterling did not deliver when promised and were unreachable both by phone and by email for an extended period of time.

Obviously you don't understand the most fundamental aspects of running a business but hopefully even someone like you understands the concept of a question mark, right? You understand that the thread title is a question, not a statement, right?

So what happens when someone clicks on that link to see the answer to the question? What will they find? Besides a bunch of people that insist on increasing the Google Page Rank value of this thread for entirely misguided reasons, they will find that Sterling are not out of business, that the problem was resolved and that the OP is now the happy owner of a Sterling Modular desk.

Quote:
(2) The story is unclear as the OP deleted all of his posts.
So it looks even better for Sterling unless some fool insists the story get retold, yet again, by bumping up this thread.

Quote:
I'd hate to see this company unnecessarilly impacted as a result of this thread; they produce great products.
This thread is not what impacts Sterling, the only thing that could is that Sterling themselves failed at the most basic aspect of business: Communication.

If someone is having difficulty communicating with Sterling and they google them, yes this thread will show up and yes people will draw their conclusions but those conclusions will, just like the thread title, be accurate as they will be experiencing what the OP experienced and will know that this is a trend with Sterling and they should be allowed to know that! On the othjer hand, if Rick makes sure that his company is always good at communicating, that is the end of the story regardless of this thread.

Alistair
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

I don't believe that the story needs re-told. And some on the GS boards "get it" and some clearly do not. UnderTow has it 100% right, and obviously followed the thread when all of the information was present before I deleted some of my posts. I deleted them, not because I felt guilty, wrong, or otherwise, but to be as professional and fair as I could to all readers and Sterling in hopes that they (Sterling) continue to live up to what they promised in their response on this thread. There is more to it than a 2 week absence, but I will not get into it further.

Long story short, the business initially (for a significant time) did not perform as even the most patient and open-minded of persons/customers/clients/etc. would expect. My dealer wanted to cancel the order at one point and start a dispute with Sterling over the money they were paid and I insisted that they not, and allowed even more time and put forth more effort to get the situation straight, which it eventually did. Thankfully for all.

As far as the name calling on this thread about me and Sterling google search fears, I am pretty sure even the most uninformed (or informed) of googlers will be able to clearly see what occurred and make their own fact-based decision on whether or not they wish to do business with this company. I made my decision, and stood by it. I have the desk (over $4,000 worth... and it appears fine as I expected). Also, I have made the informed decision to advise others that if they want a Sterling Modular product, that they do not need to hesitate to purchase one. And, on a final note, I acknowledged Rick (after he was advised by another that there was a GS thread about his company) for coming on here and addressing some of the shortcomings that occurred. I spoke to a number of people that were having significant trouble with communication as well, so it was not just me and my authorized dealer. If this single thread can hurt an established business with well-over 25 years in the industry, then the power of the internet has owned us. Once again, I never intended to harm Sterling's business, and stick to that statement 100%. Communication, in a timely and professional manner for any business (or common person for that matter) is the key to success. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited by SRS; 1st March 2018 at 06:18 PM..
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

After figuring out that my order was lost to the new website Rick got my desk out door quick. funny thing, their website still says my order is in "processing"....

Got it a couple of weeks ago but finally got time to finish setting it up. Looks great and well built and designed.
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Modular-Out of Business??? What Happened???-sm_side.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search