The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone know the best type of mic cable from Van Damme and Canare?
Old 3rd February 2018
Anyone know the best type of mic cable from Van Damme and Canare?

Hey gang,

I emailed Van Damme, but nothing back yet.

I'm looking for the best offerings from these companies to make cables with. Both companies make many different types.

I'm not looking for star quad unless that really is what people feel is "best" right off the bat.

Just wondering if people have tested these. If Van Damme is good enough for Abbey Road then it has to have something to it. And I know Canare was a standard in major NYC and LA studios for decades.

I'm trying to do an exhaustive test to see what's what. And I'm thinking about doing a Youtube video with a wide range of cable types used in a loopback test.
Old 3rd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Hey gang,

I emailed Van Damme, but nothing back yet.

I'm looking for the best offerings from these companies to make cables with. Both companies make many different types.

I'm not looking for star quad unless that really is what people feel is "best" right off the bat.

Just wondering if people have tested these. If Van Damme is good enough for Abbey Road then it has to have something to it. And I know Canare was a standard in major NYC and LA studios for decades.

I'm trying to do an exhaustive test to see what's what. And I'm thinking about doing a Youtube video with a wide range of cable types used in a loopback test.
Blue is the van damme studio install cable. Black is for live stuff.
Old 3rd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Blue is the van damme studio install cable. Black is for live stuff.
Thanks!
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Interested I’ll be wiring up my four room studio soon and need to get down to brass tacks and buy all the cable soon.
Old 3rd February 2018
By no means an expert, but I've built a good number of balanced xlr & trs cable using mostly Mogami 2549 with some Canare L-4E6S. The braided shielding on the Canare was no fun to work with.
Old 3rd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
By no means an expert, but I've built a good number of balanced xlr & trs cable using mostly Mogami 2549 with some Canare L-4E6S. The braided shielding on the Canare was no fun to work with.
Was the Canare L-4E65 basically the equivalent to Mogami 2549? I'm just asking to narrow things down. That's what I couldn't seem to find googling around and searching on here the last few days. I know e2549 is generally considered to be of the best audio quality for Mogami, though there's also an AES level cable they make that some prefer.
Old 4th February 2018
I've used Canare mic cable since 1983. I still have those original cables in my inventory and use them all the time. The cable sounds great and is extremely flexible. The braided shield is not that difficult to terminate for XLR, but the cable will last forever.

You should really consider Star-Quad style cable. The hum/noise/EMI/RFI rejection is an audible improvement. The same principles apply to CAT-6 cable.

I don't have a lot of experience with Mogami, but the cable jacket doesn't seem as tough as Canare. I've seen Mogami multi-pair cable get curlicue kinks over time.
Old 4th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Was the Canare L-4E65 basically the equivalent to Mogami 2549? I'm just asking to narrow things down. That's what I couldn't seem to find googling around and searching on here the last few days. I know e2549 is generally considered to be of the best audio quality for Mogami, though there's also an AES level cable they make that some prefer.

I don't think so.

Canare L-4E65 is Quad Core.
(two wires each carrying hot and cold signal)

Mogami 2549 is Mogami's standard balanced mic cable
(one wire for hot, one wire for cold)
MOGAMI® - High Quality Balanced Microphone Cables

Mogami's quad core balanced cable is the 2534
MOGAMI® - Neglex Quad Cables

I didn't get quad mogami because I was mostly building patch cables (1.5ft - 3 feet) and short run mic cables (<10 feet) and made the call to save a bit of extra labor and money.. I might use quad for longer runs though.

For studio installation I went with the Neutrik Gold connectors across the board. TRS is a pretty big pain in the ass. Bought a few additional Switchcraft TRS connectors and a bit of the Canare L-4E65 wire to see how the build and sound quality compared. Prefer the Mogami with the Neutrik in all cases, but at the end of the day you're paying $5-6 per connection and nearly $1 a foot for wire.. and let's be honest, building cables isn't that much fun
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search