The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 8200a Stereo Out question Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Head

API 8200a Stereo Out question

Hi 'slutz

Probably a basic newbie question, but I picked up an 8200a recently (very excited) and was wondering about the stereo out options.

I have 3 possible summed stereo output scenarios:

- Headphone whilst tracking
- Monitors whilst Mixing
- Output to Bus Compressor (and returned then to 2 AD converter inputs)

As I understand from the manual, I have 2 stereo outs -

- XLR main outs
- AUX output Stereo out via D-Sub chanels 1+2

I beleive both outputs come from the 2520 opamps and AP2623 transformer.

I also have a patchbay AND a Mackie Big Knob...

I guess my first question is - can I safely use the main output and AUX at the same time? Is there any downside to this?

The second question would be, any recomendations for hooking this up?

I have had a good snoop around for other threads on this, but haven't found the answer - if a thread already exists on this, apologies for looking with my eyes shut!!

Cheers

Thom

Last edited by Thom b; 1st February 2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

The answer to your question is yes you can use your master outs and aux sends, there are many I/O on that unit and beside the master outs being Xlr the rest break out via Dsub. I owned the the 8200a and the entire dsm set up with the master section.

From memory I believe there is 2 stereo master outs one on the xlr and another mult coming off the Dsub I remember using one to monitor and one to print, while using the aux for headphone cue.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Head

Brilliant - thanks!!
Old 1st February 2018
As above. Best set up after that would include getting shot of the big knob and getting something that allows you to actually hear your mix (the big knob is VERY coloured)
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As above. Best set up after that would include getting shot of the big knob and getting something that allows you to actually hear your mix (the big knob is VERY coloured)
I totally agree but didn't want to down his monitoring device which is one of the most important pieces in the studio. The 8200a is great but I feel like the big knob would do more harm then good. Use what ya got and when possible upgrade. The most important thing is to make music you like.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Head

Thanks guys - yeah, I'll get looking for a more transparent monitor controller!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search