The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
David Bock and Soundelux Condenser Microphones
Old 29th January 2018
David Bock and Soundelux

I don't normally go on the internet to sing praises. But, I gotta do it on this one.
I own a Soundelux U95S prototype. My mic has a different tube than the later manufactured model. The Saddle that holds the capsule had broke. I sent the mic to Dave to get it repaired and asked for him to take a look at the mic to see if it could be upgraded in any way from it's original form. I was happy with the mic before I sent it to them. I got it back and used it on Vocals and Acoustic Guitar. I will say this, I've owned Telefunken U47's etc. This mic is so smooth and not sibilant in any way. I truly feel it gives a bigger clearer smooth sonic picture than my U47 did.

Anyways, a lot of posts are about what' not going right these days. I thought I would say thanks here for David's craftsmanship and customer service. Thanks Dave! My Mic sounds perfect for me.
Old 30th January 2018
Definitely goes without saying. David is an amazingly talented designer. I’ve been using his mics (Soundelux and Bock) since 1998 and have always been more than impressed with sound and build.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Good to hear. I had a new Bock 241 and unfortunately sold it. That is something I truly regret. That microphone was a thing of beauty.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm pretty much married to my U87ai, but I had a Bock 195 a few years ago and it was, to my ear, a solid piece of microphone beauty. Slightly scooped in the mids and a beefier low end compared to an 87.

Last edited by VO Guy; 3rd February 2018 at 02:15 PM..
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Addict

Great guy, always willing to help. He can repair, tune your mic, do mods as requested. He cares about his craft, noticed I said craft not work. Very knowledgeable. Have his 251, 47, and soon his 67 I hope. The U99 is a great mic as well.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

"I got married" to the Bock Soundelux U195, at NAMM on Saturday.

I won it at the Bock booth drawing! I had already sung into their (wonderful)
microphones, earlier that day. Kirsten Bock has a beautiful Contralto voice BTW.

I spent over an hour last night singing through the U195, and am totally impressed. Although Dave and I didn't discuss what he was shooting for (as this model evolved over the years) my impression is this must sound very close to a (pre-1987) vintage U87.

One of the styles of singing I want to "get more into", is the multi-lead vocals of groups like the Tempts/Sly & the Family Stone. Dave was kind enough to give a detailed explanation, after I demonstrated singing in multiple keys... That rather than the current trend of depending on "processing" (compression etc.), it was MUCH better for me to buckle down and further refine my microphone technique.

In any event, the U195 is now my "lead" vocal microphone, and put my other
nice (but low end $$) vocal microphones into occasional "character" roles!

Chris
Old 30th January 2018
Can anyone explain why the Soundelux name was disbanded, it went under David Bock and now it seems they are reviving the name. Sort of confusing to me. Does it mean the Bock mics will also go back to Soundelux or is it i lying own for the solid state mics? I always love the sound of all their microphones and k own they are of high quality.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Soundelux was an enormous sound effects house that employed David as their technical guru and bankrolled the original line of mics. After a great deal of corporate upheaval, David left and founded his company under his own name. As I understand it (and, David, please correct me if I'm mistaken) the trademarked "Soundelux" brand became available and David obtained it to provide a banner under which to reissue and create mics that provide a different philosophy of design and intent while still maintaining the level of quality he puts into all his products.
Old 30th January 2018
I have a U195 and it also has some serious mojo. He is making classic mics right now. To me, it's the new Neumann/Telefunken of our time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
"I got married" to the Bock Soundelux U195, at NAMM on Saturday.

I won it at the Bock booth drawing! I had already sung into their (wonderful)
microphones, earlier that day. Kirsten Bock has a beautiful Contralto voice BTW.

I spent over an hour last night singing through the U195, and am totally impressed. Although Dave and I didn't discuss what he was shooting for (as this model evolved over the years) my impression is this must sound very close to a (pre-1987) vintage U87.

One of the styles of singing I want to "get more into", is the multi-lead vocals of groups like the Tempts/Sly & the Family Stone. Dave was kind enough to give a detailed explanation, after I demonstrated singing in multiple keys... That rather than the current trend of depending on "processing" (compression etc.), it was MUCH better for me to buckle down and further refine my microphone technique.

In any event, the U195 is now my "lead" vocal microphone, and put my other
nice (but low end $$) vocal microphones into occasional "character" roles!

Chris
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

I totally agree! Chris
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Dave is the man! I have an original U99 ser#20 that I still use over some of our really expensive mics. On female voices it's beautiful. Angelic. My buddy has ser#16. As a stereo pair on the 1932 Steinway B it's a moment.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

My old e49 from Soundeluxe was my prize possession for many, many moons. Dave is also a sweetheart, and a genius. I think his mics often sound better than the originals he's patterned himself after when it comes to his clones.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

I have a 251 and a 407 - love them!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search