The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67 just arrived from Klaus
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

U67 just arrived from Klaus

Not a reissue of course.

An old 67 I bought 4th qtr of last year and had sent to Klaus Heyne to give it a full restoration/clean bill of health.

he brought it up to spec, cleaned everything, replaced components where necessary and then optimized the thing.

this Mic sounds extremely beautiful and opulent. What a gorgeous sound! I’ve just done some speaking tests and some instrumental test recordings. I have an excellent soul singer coming in two weeks and I’ll try it on him. But Klaus really knows what he is doing. and I’ve used 67’s before and they always sound terrific, but this one really sounds special. It’s also the quietest tube mic I’ve ever used. He really did a fantastic job.

I have had a Klaus modified u87 for about a year now and the 67 is a great addition to the locker.

Last edited by nnajar; 28th January 2018 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear
How do the KH87 and restored 67 compare?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
How do the KH87 and restored 67 compare?
In some ways fairly similar, and in some ways drastically different. Of course they use the same capsule, but it must be remembered that the official Neumann tolerance for manufacture of the capsule is +-2db for any frequency. So any two capsules can have a 4db variance between them!

This 67 has more output than the 87. The 87's highs extend much higher. At certain frequencies, at lower source levels, they are nearly indistinguishable. At clipping levels the 87 gets ugly and the 67 gently pushes back. The best way I can put it if this makes any sense is the 87 is like a gorgeous hi resolution photo and the 67 is the most stunning oil painting your ever saw.

It’s really difficult to put the actual sounds into words without resorting to cliched terms that still don’t actually tell you what’s going on.
Old 28th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
. The best way I can put it if this makes any sense is the 87 is like a gorgeous hi resolution photo and the 67 is the most stunning oil painting your ever saw.
That is a very good description!

They really do share the same qualitys but like you said the 67 is much more flattering. 87's like many said before is a what you hear is what you get kind of mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search