The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anybody heard both the QES PAD-2 and Acousence arfi-adc2? Audio Interfaces
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Has anybody heard both the QES PAD-2 and Acousence arfi-adc2?

Realizing that these are both pretty obscure converters at the moment, but I'm interested given that they have very similar topologies, how they compare with each other. As I understand both have passive transformer front ends, use the transformers for filtering, the same PCM4220 chip, and large power supplies.

I'm pretty excited about the new generation of converters, the passive designs like QES and Acousence, and the 32 bit/femto clock designs like the Mytek and Cranesong. I'm currently using the Brooklyn ADC and find that has way less fuzzy "digital" sound than older stuff, and the Manhattan II is just ridiculous in how solid, detailed and smooth it is. Wish I could try all of them out and do a comparison/shootout with the previous-Gen stuff.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

After hearing Acousence, I have become their Swiss distributor. I am very impressed by those converters. While being extremely transparent, they also seem to let the musical content come through like no other converters I know.

I currently have a Symphony Mk II and an ULN-8 in my studio (along with Euphonix, which you might be less interested in), and could do a comparison loopback test. Would that be of interest to you?

Daniel Dettwiler from the renowned Swiss studio "Idee und Klang" has posted a great review of his new Acousence arfi-adc2pro here: Lavry Gold still the gold standard?
The price is around 3000 Euros for 2 channels.

I haven't heard the QES, but would of course be interested in a comparison.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search