The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTQC x2 vs Manley, Avalon, etc. for Mastering Channel Strips
Old 24th January 2018
Here for the gear

Aurora GTQC x2 vs Manley, Avalon, etc. for Mastering

I don’t think this has yet been asked:

Are people loving the Aurora GTC2 or 2 x GTQC for mastering? My focus is compression and tone/flavor/harmonics adding but some EQ shaping capabilities would be welcome, hence the second channel strip version of Aurora. I am considering using it the way I’d use an Avalon 747 - gentle compression to sweeten and “finish” the master.

Also, is it fair to say Neve-ish sounds are not as common for mastering? Are they not typically hi-fi enough?

This isn’t a “what should I buy” question as much as a survey of opinions on using something like the Aurora for mild compression, coloring at the mastering stage. I only have one channel of Aurora GTQC right now and it is spectacular for recording/mixing... Considering a second rather than adding a stereo compressor from one of the usual suspects like Manley, API, etc.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCheers View Post
I don’t think this has yet been asked:

Are people loving the Aurora GTC2 or 2 x GTQC for mastering? My focus is compression and tone/flavor/harmonics adding but some EQ shaping capabilities would be welcome, hence the second channel strip version of Aurora. I am considering using it the way I’d use an Avalon 747 - gentle compression to sweeten and “finish” the master.

Also, is it fair to say Neve-ish sounds are not as common for mastering? Are they not typically hi-fi enough?

This isn’t a “what should I buy” question as much as a survey of opinions on using something like the Aurora for mild compression, coloring at the mastering stage. I only have one channel of Aurora GTQC right now and it is spectacular for recording/mixing... Considering a second rather than adding a stereo compressor from one of the usual suspects like Manley, API, etc.
I have never heard the Aurora, but I always hear great things about the company, and the people from that company have never been anything but nice and helpful, while directly communicating to people on this board over the years.

I would say if you like the tone and want to try using two, think about maybe getting a TK-Audio Miniblender or something so you have WET/DRY (stepped) on tap if the sound is too colorful. Then you can mix in small amounts to taste, or back off of a saturated sound just enough to keep the image where you want it. There are no rules with mastering really, save for endlessly testing your ears to their limits in search of what sounds and feels "right".
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

The EQ on the GTQC is going to be pretty limited, and I wouldn't say they are the best frequencies for mastering. Both will have a good bit of coloration and warmth for sure. I found that the GTC2 is really nice particularly on cold sounding ITB mixes, but you definitely do trade the extra harmonics and euphonic sound for some detail. I wouldn't use it for every project. Aurora is a little bit more hifi than Neve, but yeah, the color could be heavy handed for some things. The optical compressor is really good for mixes and mastering, and despite the color of the signal path, it is fairly transparent.

The newest versions have mix controls which are very useful.
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Good thoughts so far, thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search