The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
phaedrus ac701/v14 substitute
Old 21st January 2018
phaedrus ac701/v14 substitute

I just stumbled upon this company Online Shop
They sell newly produced plug n play ac701 tubes. Quite expensive for a newly produced clone, but heck I don't know anything about the costs of producing tubes in small quantities.

I was wondering if anyone tried them in their vintage mic's. They still only cost 1/3 of a NOS ac701 so the idea is quite intriguing of having replacement tubes available.

Thoughts?
Old 29th September 2018
Here for the gear

Has a nobody tried these tubes in km54 mic?
Old 19th January 2019
Me wonders tooo!

If they really live up to what they claim to be, this will answer aloooot of peoples prayers..
Mine included.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Hello, GS!

Just bumping up this thread to see if there are any users of the Phaedrus Audio's electronic tubes, particularly the AC701. I'm planning a mic build and was wondering if these could be an option. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!!
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac

I have their VF14M... It’s great-sounding, but definitely on the clean-side. I haven’t tried their AC701k but people seem to like them when they work with the circuit. I haven’t tried it though because people seem to like the 6S6B just as much. I’m really wanting to try their 6072M.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Nut

I have their VF14, which I bought to use in a U47 clone. But I never got around to building the mic. If anyone wants it, send me a message.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I haven’t tried ... but people seem to like them
Quote:
I haven’t tried it though because people seem to like the 6S6B just as much
Don't do that hear say thing! Why quote "people" you do not know or identify? How does that help anyone who is seeking solid information?
Or, if I also quote "people" but ones who do NOT like the solid state thing Phaedrus shamelessly calls "AC701", does that then mean we are back to square one?
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Well I had already found what most people were saying about them online (including those I highly respect) and I summed it up and generalized; take it or leave it. But if one wants to go to the extreme like that, it wouldn’t matter if I tried it myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

evening guys ..... i have a couple of old 47 48 in both i got Vf14 M from HE STUDIOTECHNIK means Andreas Grossar and after a few days i relize that im not a good engineer so why i have to play arround with the original Tubes and just make ****ty Music ... so i decide to put the Tubes out and put in one the Andreas Grossar Transistor Solution and i have to say ... if older i get ... and after 15 Years of Day by Day practise i can say i ****ing like the Clean fat super Big Sound with loads of LOW end from my U48 and now you will freak out ... i also like the Thin and less Bass Fat Fat booty buuuhm buuuhm sound from the U47 with Vf14 so i just use EF12 ) taht make my USI a realy Vintage Sound not to much Bass and its getting also a little bit Dark ... i just heard her on an shootout and she Sounds most Bad --- but i have to say -- thw world is full of clean super Rich boring Sound like hell !! so i realy like my thin Dirty USI so i can SAY the ANDREAS GROSSAR MOD is realy Working but i still search that for my KM54 because that microphone brings me so many times nearly to cry because the Sound from recording nearly everything sounded so ****ing RICH BIG --- BAD ASS !! super clean (but not 100%) ))... super warm .. i cannot even say how much i like it and hey .. every microphone who holds the AC 701 brings a Sound there is also that little little harmonic distortion you can push also to max... (sometimes) i usw the Km54 at a bass AMP with an old V100 listen to that Sound ... its JAMES JAMERSON ON STEROIDS !! but long story ...

the AC 701 is the total killer i every Shematic its in ... its so crazy good ... so simple question but i know the answer deep in my belly

WHY IS IT NOT POSSIBLE JUST BUILD AGAIN THAT FU+++++CKING GLAS TUBE WITH SOME WIRES INSIDE -- AND A METAL SHIELD --
BUT IF I SEE IN BERLIN THEY EVEN CANNOT BUILD AN AIRPORT IN 10 YEARS ... ITS MAYBE ALSO NOT MORE POSSIBLE TO BUILD SUCH A FINDE PEACE OF ELEKTRONIC ART

so i also looking forwar ti listen to the new TUBES they say we build the ac701 in transistor .. because the grossar solution realy works for the VF14 why not with the AC701 ...

but i heard on some dark whissle blowing the ac701 transistor solutions absoloutly dont sound like a ac701 !! --- and yes i guess they miss that funny harmonic distortion !!

so please world give us a real AC701 REPLICE TUBE ... i guess there should be a lot of microphone builders they could do some realy good stuff having that tube to run it ...

and in the End one last thought and sorry for my bad english

the ac701 was build to run at some places 50 Years without a change and had a god meassure after that time ... its a totaly ****ty idea for a company building something like a tube they holds so long :((((
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Honestly- why can't someone bring back the AC701 tube?

I understand the complexity of making a new VF14. But the AC701? Seems like it would be simpler.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
I just stumbled upon this company Online Shop
They sell newly produced plug n play ac701 tubes. Quite expensive for a newly produced clone, but heck I don't know anything about the costs of producing tubes in small quantities.

I was wondering if anyone tried them in their vintage mic's. They still only cost 1/3 of a NOS ac701 so the idea is quite intriguing of having replacement tubes available.

Thoughts?
I felt the same and bought spares from them in case my SM69 goes and I can't find good a NOS spare.
I'm afraid I haven't heard it installed yet.

I tried their original vf14 copy which was good. I look forward to hearing the new version too.

I have a couple of their pre amps which sound great against any others I have - tube or solid state.

They're good, passionate people. It's a labour of love and not exactly a get rich quick scheme.

Sorry I can't offer more help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I felt the same and bought spares from them in case my SM69 goes and I can't find good a NOS spare.
I'm afraid I haven't heard it installed yet.

I tried their original vf14 copy which was good. I look forward to hearing the new version too.

I have a couple of their pre amps which sound great against any others I have - tube or solid state.

They're good, passionate people. It's a labour of love and not exactly a get rich quick scheme.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

Please report back when you have

I have a friend who bought 3! Neumann u47s with nuvistors. He also bought his vf14 tube and got real vf14 incoming. Hopefully he he'll be doing some a/b tests
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Please report back when you have

I have a friend who bought 3! Neumann u47s with nuvistors. He also bought his vf14 tube and got real vf14 incoming. Hopefully he he'll be doing some a/b tests
I hope I don't have to. My SM69 is one of my favourite mics and I hope it lives longer than me.

3 47's with Nuvistors, jeez. I prefer a Voxorama or Horch personally.
Yes I'd like to hear some tests.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search