The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the compressor of the 6176? Dynamics Plugins
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Head

the compressor of the 6176?

hi
i wanted to know if the compressor of the ua 6176 is really worthit
the problem is that i already have a 610 solo from uad ; so i heard lately that the 6176 is a 610 + a compressor

so in the end if i keep the 6176 it will be only for its comp
so is it really worthit to keep it? , i have others compressors in my pc , wave the builtin comp on reason 10 and cubase 9.5 pro

1600$ for a compressor , i find it a little toooo much (the ua solo 610 is 1000$)

thanks in advance
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

It's a 1176 compressor; it can be patched in or out as desired. Classic unit, really.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Head

ok thanks for the reply

so i guess it's worthit to keep it vs a simple wave compressor (like cla 76 which is doing a great great job for my songs)???

1600$ is still a lot of money though ..

edit , there is friend of mine who opened up the 6176 and he saw that the electronic components of the compressor just worth about 500$ not more ?????

Last edited by darkmaster; 22nd January 2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

it is a wonderful tracking compressor. i we have a 2-1176 which is the stereo version of that compressor. we will never part ways.

ej
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru
I use a FMR Pbc6a with a 610 Solo and really like it. Not an 1176 or clone by any means....
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Head

did you try them both to see the differences?
i never tried this compressor , so i don't know , and i don't judge by the price (although sometimes it means something)
Old 23rd January 2018
The compressor in this unit is a beast! It is far superior to any 1176 emulation out there (CLA76) and is in constant use on my sessions. I love using the 1176 into an la2a for vocals and it kills on drums! Considering the price of an 1176 by itself; having it all contained in one unit is pretty awesome!
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Head

ok thanks for the reply
the problem when you have a compressor like that , you set it ; the eq the comp and when you sing or play the guitar etc.. then if something"s wrong , then you have to restart the recording again , that's a little boring ..
with the plugins you can change everything you want after the recording without having to restart anything, not mentionning the fact that with the plugins you have the presets which are not with the hardware...

but if the hardware is like you say , maybe it's worthit after all
so i planned to return it to the seller because i already have the ua solo 610 , now i'm questionning myself..
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Have you considered selling your 610? You can use the preamp and the compressor in the 6176 completely independently at the same time, or link them, so it's sort of like having two units.

I like the compressor better than plugin emulations. You will hear that it's somewhat different from a vintage 1176 and I suppose that's true - it's definitely less noisy - but it's very good.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Head

yes you're right i'll sell my 610 , this is the best thing to do instead of returning it from its seller (thomann)
stupid thing to keep them both (i don't know why some guys have them both in their studio though...)
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmaster View Post
(i don't know why some guys have them both in their studio though...)
haha - I do. I have a hard time selling anything - just can't let go
Old 23rd January 2018
Quote:
ok thanks for the reply
the problem when you have a compressor like that , you set it ; the eq the comp and when you sing or play the guitar etc.. then if something"s wrong , then you have to restart the recording again , that's a little boring ..
with the plugins you can change everything you want after the recording without having to restart anything, not mentionning the fact that with the plugins you have the presets which are not with the hardware...

but if the hardware is like you say , maybe it's worthit after all
so i planned to return it to the seller because i already have the ua solo 610 , now i'm questionning myself..
You dont need to record through the compressor section though. You can bypass it and record it uncompressed and then once you have done all your editing, comping etc. you can right it line level out of your interface into the 1176 section of the unit and adjust the compression levels at that point. That way you can ride the input so you dont get any sudden drastic GR levels. I usually ride the gain of the pre amp when I am recording singers; so its fine for me to record with compression going in but yeah if you are recording yourself; i'd just go uncompressed and then run it through the compressor afterwards.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Head

ok thanks for that , i didn't know that
on the other hand it seems a little tricky to make it work , i'm not a sound engineer like all of you guys ; just a stupid singer who try to make a good sound to put it on the internet , and i have to admit that most of the time i like the idea to push a button and play ,
well in the end if it's not so complicated then i will have one of the best compressors ,
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
yes you're right i'll sell my 610 , this is the best thing to do instead of returning it from its seller (thomann)
stupid thing to keep them both (i don't know why some guys have them both in their studio though...)
If you keep your 610 you obviously can preamp a stereo signal. I perhaps have an unusual way to track as I only have a 610 Solo and a dbx, and one comp. I record synths and stereo input through them and can favor one channel over another etc.

The contrast is actually not too huge and adds interest. Not perfect by any means, but I'm from the school of "make do with what you have". I work with pros to clean up my tracks, and really to my ears allows a certain weight to one channel with color and compression, with the other left clean. I'm sure this'll get flamed, but give it a try before you sell your 610. (I'm assuming you're not in a studio where you have outside clients)..... The results might surprise you and possibly work soundwise.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search