The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH 80DSP vs JBL 705P Studio Monitors
Old 14th January 2018
Neumann KH 80DSP vs JBL 705P

I am wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to listen to or use both of these and can comment on perceived differences, particularly in tonality and evenness of response through the midrange and quality of the bass end.
I see the JBLs although having larger woofers are smaller in dimension and they advertise greater bass extension and I presume they will play louder, but there is only so much that can be deduced from published specs, so I'm looking for some real impressions.
I am looking for a top grade miniature monitor for a small studio and to take to remote recording sessions for client playback.
Thanks.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm biased as we own the KH80 and KH120, and I have never heard the JBL. The KH80 is certainly a legitimate monitor, but with limited LF extension. Great mounting options are available for remote use, and the yet to come DSP functionality may offer added value.

John Caldwell
Old 24th January 2018
Thanks, John, and bumping to attract more attention!

Do you know what the rate of low cut on the 80 DSP is? I presume it's steep to allow maximum extension, and because steep is easy with DSP. In the factory specs they state 48 dB/oct 8th order between drivers and although they mention a 12 dB/oct infrasonic filter at 61 Hz it looks like 36 dB/oct 6 th order on the frequency response graph.

I ask because I believe integration with a sub is much easier with a steep bass rolloff.

Last edited by Russell Dawkins; 24th January 2018 at 10:44 AM..
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I believe integration with a sub is much easier with a steep bass rolloff.
dunno the filter design, but heard the kh's in two different rooms (one with a kh sub, the other without) and the jbl's in another room (with a krk sub): since the rooms were quite different by dimensions and acoustic room treatment, i cannot really compare - i liked the kh better.

as the x-over slope is concerned: i agree on your thoughts, yet reality sometimes lead me to using other approches - i can switch between various slopes as i'm using either a yamaha dme24n or lake lm44 (so i can integrate my 'portable' system into different rooms or do adjustements to existing systems if i feel the need). i experienced situations when slopes and filters looked weird, but hearing and measuring felt/looked good...
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know what the rate of low cut on the 80 DSP is? I presume it's steep to allow maximum extension, and because steep is easy with DSP. In the factory specs they state 48 dB/oct 8th order between drivers and although they mention a 12 dB/oct infrasonic filter at 61 Hz it looks like 36 dB/oct 6 th order on the frequency response graph.

I ask because I believe integration with a sub is much easier with a steep bass rolloff.
I don't know. The DSP function is not yet available for the KH80, but it's to be shipping soon according to Neuman. So the KH80 listening I've done is a property of the crossovers and filters that are hardwired in the loudspeaker.

There is no special reason that a sub won't integrate with the unit, but there is no DSP-capable sub that I know of from Neumann. So I'm not sure how those factors would play out.

The KH80 sounds very good as is, just like the KH120. The two models do differ in LF response, with the 120 going noticeably deeper than the 80. Depending on the style of what your doing, the 80 might be fine as is; the 120 might be better than the 80; or maybe neither will suffice without a subwoofer. Recall the we are talking about 4 & 5" drivers here.

I've done the enormous majority of my mixing on the Neuman KH120 with no sub, and the K&H 0100 before that. Recently I've made a big investment in a calibrated Genelec system, but I doubt I'd no longer find the small Neumann monitors valuable.

John Caldwell
Old 9th February 2018
I've just read the review by Phil Ward on the 705/708Ps in the Feb 2018 Sound on Sound and have lost considerable interest in the 705 as a result. It seems they may be deficient in the very way I want them to excel: mid range tonality.
I think I'll bring in a pair of the KH 80 DSPs to check out with subs.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think I'll bring in a pair of the KH 80 DSPs to check out with subs.
Did you ever get them? I’m curious to know your thoughts. I have the 708Ps as my mains (which I love and use daily) but was thinking of getting the KH80 as smaller nearfield references.
Old 2nd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
Did you ever get them? I’m curious to know your thoughts. I have the 708Ps as my mains (which I love and use daily) but was thinking of getting the KH80 as smaller nearfield references.
I tried them but didn't feel they were worth the coin, so I bought a pair of B-stock 705s and love them. I guess Phil Ward's judgement and mine do not mesh, and there is some significance to the fact that he valued the KEFs so highly and made his comparison with them.
I recently bought a pair of Eve SC203s which I use as a second reference and to take on remote gigs as a convenient monitor. I find them surprisingly good, with more believable bass than the iLoud micromintors I replaced with them. All Eves I have heard sound very good, and I would be inclined to look at the SC 204 and try to get a comparison with the KH80, if possible.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I tried them but didn't feel they were worth the coin, so I bought a pair of B-stock 705s and love them.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m really not even sure if I need a small second nearfield reference as the 708Ps have served me well and translate really greatly. I’m glad you’re liking the smaller 705Ps, I’ve even thought about getting them as they could also be useful for setting up surround applications when needed with the 708s.

I’m still a bit hesitatnt about the Eves, never been the biggest fan of ribbon tweeters compared to regular domes, though I’ve heard good things about the newer designs on the newer Eves, and Adams. Did use the Hedds for a while and they were great but had to part with them eventually for financial reasons.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search