The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going OTB: £5000 comp budget - Good choices? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear
Will...which chain you prefer for hip hop vox?

That 3 module mobile setup of yours or the PAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
All this talk about killer $5K comps and nobody lists the Mercury M66, Fearn VT-7 or Requisite LM2?

I love you guys and I appreciate you helping keep the cost of used Fearn and Requisite gear low............ I just scored a VT-7 on Ebay for under 3.5K and my pair of Pal Plus's for around the same last fall, lol.

Keep it up!!!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Amber - what HW does that model again? Avalon? I've yet to try it.
Avalon 2055 EQ.

Quote:
I don't know anything about 6072's, I assume they have more girth/body?
6072 tubes were common in pro audio gear for years, as they have gotten harder to source the manufactures have gone to other tubes. As for the older NOS 6072's, they are getting expensive but just sound so good over the newer Soviet 6072's. Older 66072's are smooth with better depth over the new 6072's IMHO.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear
My first Idea after reading the first post was:

Audioscape LA2A
AND
Retro 176

But here is the problem, You want to EQ before you compress sometimes.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Will...which chain you prefer for hip hop vox?
I've had several favorite chains over the years and it would depend on the vocalist and what we want the finished vocal sound to be..... there are so many possibilities, but my top 4 would be:

1. Vintage type voiced mic into Pal Plus with a second comp, I've had many comps follow the Requisite and they all sound great. Requisite gear changed me after using it, too bad it's not more common as I believe if Danny advertised his gear would be one of the most coveted in all of Pro audio.

2. Modern type voiced mic's into real Neve 1084 or DW Fearn pre's followed by a CL1B or Retro 176 with an 1176 or similar as second comp.

3. Vintage type voiced mic into Neve 1084, Mercury M66 followed by an Atomic Squeeze box.

4. I cut a few hundred songs on a Neumann M149/Focusrite ISA 430 combo that still sound great to this day..... so good that if I was recording rappers daily I would have picked that combo up again.

I'm looking forward to my Horch Rm2J into a Pal Plus followed by a VT-7.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
- Not a fan of the Manley VM; too dark and pillowy
I owned a Vari-Mu for some years, I would NEVER describe it as "too dark", IMHO it's one of the most Hi-Fi sounding tube pieces of gear I've ever used. I sold it because it was too Hi-Fi sounding and smeared the low end a bit.

Also, I would never use a Vari-Mu as a tracking comp but I did love running real analogue synths into it, not compressing and just for the beautiful sheen it provided.

As always, to each their own.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What other HW comps do you have to compare it to?
Worked with the Manley and TC Phoenix, preferred the Variable Gm as it imparts a stunning 3D-ness to mixes.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I owned a Vari-Mu for some years, I would NEVER describe it as "too dark", IMHO it's one of the most Hi-Fi sounding tube pieces of gear I've ever used. I sold it because it was too Hi-Fi sounding and smeared the low end a bit.

Also, I would never use a Vari-Mu as a tracking comp but I did love running real analogue synths into it, not compressing and just for the beautiful sheen it provided.

As always, to each their own.
I've not used the unit myself, can only go from the compressor comparison threads (and Nebula). Thanks for the tube explanation btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inthemorning View Post
Worked with the Manley and TC Phoenix, preferred the Variable Gm as it imparts a stunning 3D-ness to mixes.
That's what I'm after. Do you use it for bus/stem processing too, or just the mixbus?

QES vs Knif VM II would be one hell of a shootout.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not used the unit myself, can only go from the compressor comparison threads (and Nebula).
That's why you always have to test for yourself, online tests rarely do equipment justice...... Paul's REDD examples being a recent exception.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, I try and get what I can here. Still never been blown away by the MVM samples. QES, VSC and MBP though - ears prick up!
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

The Manley Vari-Mu has a very distinct sound/action to it. You either like it or you don't. It's definitely not a versatile compressor in my opinion. It's more of a "mojo" and pillow+glue (in a slow way) thing. To be brutally honest every time I get a chance to work with one (never cared enough for it to purchase one) I usually end up with identical settings, every single time. To my ears it has a very clear sweet spot where it does it's thing when "it's thing" is desired.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
The Manley Vari-Mu has a very distinct sound/action to it. You either like it or you don't. It's definitely not a versatile compressor in my opinion. It's more of a "mojo" and pillow+glue (in a slow way) thing. To be brutally honest every time I get a chance to work with one (never cared enough for it to purchase one) I usually end up with identical settings, every single time. To my ears it has a very clear sweet spot where it does it's thing when "it's thing" is desired.
I agree, it's a one trick pony but it does a trick like no other..... as to weather you need that trick is a very subjective decision. I could not justify a $3.5 compressor for just that one trick, but I do miss what it can do from time to time.
Old 18th January 2018
SEED78
Ken Lewis was saying a similar thing about the Manley on these forums a while back.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Ken Lewis was saying a similar thing about the Manley on these forums a while back.
Ken knows a thing or two about gear.
Old 19th January 2018
Geariophile

Seem to recall him saying he leans into the Manley quite hard when others were saying they are just kissing it on mix bus.
Old 19th January 2018
SEED78
He was also saying it was a one trick box, but that he hadn't found anything to replace it with.

Is it a good tone box for hip hop?
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Update - I randomly renamed all the level matched files in the Mastering Comp thread so I had no idea what was what. After going through an (arduous) elimination process I ended up with 3. Turns out they were:

POMChild
Varis (latest Blueface version)
Pure Mu

The latter two were particularly nice on the EDM track (I produce rap and EDM).

Just bought a used Blueface Varis (FF/FB, MS, Triode/Pentode - super versatile), should be with me this week. With the 'spare' cash I've also bought a pair of Miad 4040 EQ's. With the Silver Bullet that should be a nice chain for tracking, mixing and mastering.

Although I'm a plugin maniac, there is something magical about using HW. Just bought a Kensington Expert Trackball and nOb (amazing) controller for making ITB stuff more tactile (eyes closed). If you've not seen the nOb (and nAc software), it's well worth checking out.

Welcome | NOB CONTROL

Thanks everyone for all of the help and suggestions!
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just bought a used Blueface Varis (FF/FB, MS, Triode/Pentode - super versatile), should be with me this week. With the 'spare' cash I've also bought a pair of Miad 4040 EQ's. With the Silver Bullet that should be a nice chain for tracking, mixing and mastering.
While this chain will be fantastic chain for tracking and mixing, using it for mastering would not be my first choice.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
While this chain will be fantastic chain for tracking and mixing, using it for mastering would not be my first choice.
Agreed, mastering is something I'm just playing with, I hire professionals for releases. Happy with ITB stuff for mastering practice at the moment (Azure, Kotelnikov, Slick M, Equilibrium etc).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search