The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tell me all about Daking preamps! Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrobins View Post
Good question. I'd like to know about the Fet lll.

Btw, daking on drums is great. Particularly OH and kick.
Hey Ty. Agreed. Pretty awesome on the whole kit Id say. I got a chance to beta the new 500 series fet comp from Daking and it is a no brainer.

BTW you know there is a fet III in the grey room right? give it a shot. Its really cool. The variable mono stereo mix knob to the detection circuit is freakin sweet.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear
Daking on Drums

Always thought it was quite nice on drums. Very punchy, and the Eq is a killer.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

i wasnt interested in the 3 as it has no output transformers
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoZo View Post
Have you heard one along side a two (w/transformers)?
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't think too much of this. Daking has stated plenty of times that he doesn't use transformers for color, instead he uses them for their intended purpose. I would guess there's little to no difference between his gear having transformers and not.

Regards,
Frank
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyclee View Post
I believe Dave weckl uses them on all channels.
In that case, having mixed a few tunes that Mr Weckl played and recorded, I can attest to their very fine quality.
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I wouldn't think too much of this. Daking has stated plenty of times that he doesn't use transformers for color, instead he uses them for their intended purpose. I would guess there's little to no difference between his gear having transformers and not.

Regards,
Frank
Ya, I'd say that is generally true. What I asked for and Geoff delivered was FET2 behavior but add stereo for mix work and not lose the tracking performance (mono). Geoff decided to add variable stereo linking for a some depth of function in between which uses audio summing for precise stereo image control. Then we added the variable HPF out of the Mic Pre One to the side chain so you'd have the widest options on tuning compression behavior. I was adamant to keep the price in the "are you kidding?" category, so we left off the switches used in the FET2's. I don't think there anything like it -built 100% in California.

The new 500 comp/limiter went for trying to solve the work flow problem we see with other 500 compressors: they all seem to have such tiny writing and a bunch of tiny knobs packed together-not easy to use on the fly in busy studio with a million other things going on. So the product goal was: how do you get great (dynamic control) results with a simpler control set? Especially if you are from the "use some light compression on tracking" camp.

Geoff always talks about "get home early" and his ideal for gear is making it a better/faster/easier tool to work with. When I quiz him, he never talks about one trick ponies being his favorites in his studio. He preferred gear that sounds great all the time under a very wide variety of situations. "You never know who's coming through the door and when you are tracking an artist, you can't lose the best take of the night cause you didn't have enough time to set up that limiter. Clients remember how long you keep them sitting around while you fiddle with stuff and how many takes are not used because the gear wasn't set up right."

Brad
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wow... nice sounds! Is that a TLM102 or TLM103 on snare? I ask because after hearing this I have this incredible urge to obtain whichever mic it is in this video and put it on my snare

Is that CAD M179 in the middle of the room set to OMNI!?

This is what I remember my Daking's sounding like on my drums. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexon View Post
I have 2 mic pre IVs that i use on Drums all the time. I had a Fet II for a while on lone and found it to not supply nearly as much low mid distortion as say an 1176 but still had a very nice grab to it. Here is a song my students tracked and mixed using the dakings exclusively on the drums

ish goes pretty hard at 5:35
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Wow... nice sounds! Is that a TLM102 or TLM103 on snare? I ask because after hearing this I have this incredible urge to obtain whichever mic it is in this video and put it on my snare

Is that CAD M179 in the middle of the room set to OMNI!?

This is what I remember my Daking's sounding like on my drums. Love it!
The snare mic is a gefell M930(its small size makes it easy to sneak in there). The CAD in the Middle is for talkback (yes its in omni) but we used it a little in the mix. The room mics are a MS pair mounted on the ceiling opposite the drummer. Thanks for the kind words.

Kick-EV ND868
SN T-Gefell M930
SN B 57
Toms CAD M179s
OH Beyerdynamic MC930s
Room-cheap cad mic and AT boundary mic in MS mounted to an acrylic panel on the ceiling.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Reflexon, the recording in that video sounds great, also thanks for turning me on to that band. I love the epic math rock.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
Reflexon, the recording in that video sounds great, also thanks for turning me on to that band. I love the epic math rock.
Thank you very much. Glad you like them, they are really cool dudes.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeh, great musicians.

And as for the Gefell... you get what you pay for, in this instance it's a sweet sweet snare sound. Haha, a little rich for my blood but definitely want to try that mic out now.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny, I just talked to someone the other day who wanted a FET3 because it did NOT have transformers (to "change things" as he put it-but then he was a sontec kind of guy).

Brad
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Funny, I just talked to someone the other day who wanted a FET3 because it did NOT have transformers
is his hearing aid transformerless?

... <g>
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
is his hearing aid transformerless?

... <g>
William:
He was a mastering engineer....so I think he his hearing aids were 15 inch three ways. ATC 150s to be exact. ;-)
Brad
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear
wow,
every mastering engineer I know particularly wants stepped, repeatable, controls
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
wow,
every mastering engineer I know particularly wants stepped, repeatable, controls
And me as well.....
Brad
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
And me as well.....
Brad
every mastering engineer wants you as well?

lucky you!
Old 25th February 2018
Here for the gear

Dude I love your music. Are you still playing and recording???
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

:o

Wow, this is probably one of my favorite drum sounds and overall recordings I've heard on Youtube not from some sort of major album etc.

Really good work, those drums sound amazing! I like the guitar tone a lot as well. They are great players too, good song I really enjoyed this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search