The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Silent fan for Lexicon 480L Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Silent fan for Lexicon 480L

Hi,

I've just got a 480L and wanted to know if someone who've swaped the fan can point me exact reference of a silent replacement fan that have the same airflow specs?

Thanks!
Old 6th January 2018
Engagement Manager

Is your 480L currently noisier than you can live with?
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Maniac

It's not that extreme but I'm working in a very quiet environment. I've put silent fan in my custom made PC and can't put the Lexi in an other room.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I had the fan of my ex-480 replaced by the german Lexicon distributor. They have a very good service department and try to repair everything they get in. Here´s the link: Professionelle Audio- und Medientechnik * Audio Pro
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
I had the fan of my ex-480 replaced by the german Lexicon distributor. They have a very good service department and try to repair everything they get in. Here´s the link: Professionelle Audio- und Medientechnik * Audio Pro
Thanks will check but I want to do it myself. Are you satisfied with the noise level now?

I think I’ll go with a Noctua 92mm silent fan.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

It was an improvement though still audible. The old fan had a defective bearing hence became too loud.
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
I think I’ll go with a Noctua 92mm silent fan.
My suggestion too, if the voltage matches and the m³/h is equal or better. I would pick the NF-A9 PWM, with its 25mm depth, good m³/h specs and rubber suspension, the latter being pretty important for avoiding cabinet resonance.

Last edited by Henrik Hjortnaes; 7th January 2018 at 01:36 PM..
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

See also here:
Lexicon 480L fan it too loud

I'll reply there.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
My suggestion too, if the voltage matches and the m³/h is equal or better. I would pick the NF-A9 PWM, with its 25mm depth, good m³/h specs and rubber suspension, the latter being pretty important for avoiding cabinet resonance.
the NF-A9 PWM seems to be 12V only :/
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
the NF-A9 PWM seems to be 12V only :/
What is the voltage being fed to the fan in the unit? And is it DC?
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is the voltage being fed to the fan in the unit? And is it DC?
Its 24V DC
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Its 24V DC
Sorry I didn't ask this before: is the fan actually 24V or is there a voltage divider involved?
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replys!

It’s interesting so I can’t put directly a Noctua in there. I have to put something in between to adjust the voltage. Any reference/ link?
Old 7th January 2018
@ rectape , putting in a voltage divider to feed a new fan with 12 volt should be possible, but you may not have enough airflow from the Noctua 12 volt. It delivers 78,9 m³/h. And I bet noone knows what the original fan in the Lex delivers.

If there is room for two fans, I would personally just mount two identical 12 volt fans in series across the 24 volt supply. Problem solved. But I can't recommend that if you're not... you know, experienced in that field
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
@ rectape , putting in a voltage divider to feed a new fan with 12 volt should be possible, but you may not have enough airflow from the Noctua 12 volt. It delivers 78,9 m³/h. And I bet noone knows what the original fan in the Lex delivers.

If there is room for two fans, I would personally just mount two identical 12 volt fans in series across the 24 volt supply. Problem solved. But I can't recommend that if you're not... you know, experienced in that field
Thanks for the infos.

Yes I know I gotta be carefull with this... maybe give it to a tech guy.

The actual fan in the unit is a SUNON KDE2409PTS3-6
DC 24V 2.7W

I can't find the specs of this fan on the web. I've just emailed SUNON to see if they can provide a data sheet for it.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sunon are low-end fans, I saw some failing in my own computer stuff.

EBM Papst, Micronel, ETRI are usually way better but also more expensive. Also make sure you get a version with ball bearings.

Google found a datasheet:
http://datasheet.octopart.com/KDE240...et-7278107.pdf

You're lucky as it's 24 V DC. 2.7 W is a very low power fan which shouldn't make much noise, maybe there's some mechanically compatible Micronel.
Old 7th January 2018
@ rectape , if this website is correct, your SUNON KDE2409PTS3-6 has the following specs:

KDE2409PTS3-6
FAN,24VDC,39CFM,92X92X25,112mA SLEEVE,12"LEADS,UL/CUL/TUV/CE

See what I bolded... That's the fan's airflow performance. Cubic Foot/Minute.

The above website also links to a spech sheet from Sunon (cropped by me):

There is a trailing "A", though. And the wattage is lower, so there is doubt now. But if we decide to trust the first link and its specs, we can move on.

The Noctua NF-A9 PWM delivers 78,9 m³/h.

Now, according to this online converter, the Sunon's 39 CFM converts to 66.26 m³/h. See where I'm gettin'?

If all of this is correct, the 12 volt Noctua performs better than the 24 volt Sunon with regards to airflow and that is the most important thing here.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

92x92x25 mm is a very usual mechanical size. I didn't check the size, referring to the mentioned very low power I thought it was rather a miniature fan.

You can do a parametric search for example here (EBM Papst which is one of the serious manufactures, some cheapo brands feature fancy irrealistic technical data) :
Axial fans made by ebm-papst convince with high air performance and moderate pressure build-up
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Wow thank you guys for all the help!
@ Henri ck so the Noctua will perform better with a divider? Do you know what can I use as a divider?
@ Shoel ler a quick search on your link seems to provide loud fans : 51db. Edit : I searched with 92x92x35. With dimensions 92x92x25 there is much better results. The quietest is rated at 23db but for 61m3/h

Last edited by rectape; 7th January 2018 at 10:55 PM..
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I replaced mine years ago..i wouldn´t mind that much about the type but to get a silent one to able to adequately cool the unit and meet the voltage conditions required by this

cheers
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
Damn...I still want a 480....

Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Fan data mentioned by manufaturers is not always very serious, also measurement conditions are not necessarily approximately identical. Serious manufacturers provide reliable data but when making comparisons it must be checked how measurements were made.

Typically for a given fan frame size there can be different speeds, the higher the speed, the higher the air flow as well as obviously the noise. If low noise is important it's advisable to install large and "slow" fans rather than small fast rotating ones. If a fan model can be operated at variable speed must be verified (see datasheet).
Old 8th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
@ Henrick so the Noctua will perform better with a divider? Do you know what can I use as a divider?
Yes, according to the online calc, the Noctua will perform better at 12 volt compared to the original at 24 volt. I think that tells us a little about evolution and Noctua expertise.

On how to reduce the 24 volt to 12 volt, I am in doubt. I don't know the supply in the Lexicon and I don't know the best way to divide the voltage to not cause you any problem with the Noctua and it's ability to start etc. Maybe an L7812 positive voltage regulator is all that is needed.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Big thanks for the help
Will check what to do/buy and report back once done.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi,

Just to let you know, my tech did the mod for me.
Here's what it looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]

The noise is now acceptable low but I put a low noise adapter so turned down the CFM.

I can now enjoy this beauty to the fullest!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search