The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
api2500 thrust mode Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

api2500 thrust mode

ive had my api 2500 for several years now and im very happy with it. it mostly sits on my drum bus and its great at that. I also like to use it for some mastering, when its needed, and its great there too!

one thing i really like about the 2500 is that its really good at automating the make up gain. so when you compress more, the 2500 compensates it with the make up gain. this works very well with the threshold and the ratio, but i notice it doesn't work well with the thrust function or the knee at all!

When i change the knee to a more soft knee, there is more compresion, but the auto make up doesn't change.
This is even worse with the thrust function, when i change from normal to loud (sc that accentuates the mids and highs more) the signal gets compressed a lot more (which kind of surprises me every time, i would think it should be compressed less) but there is not more make up gain!
So its really hard to compare the thrust functions, because you also got to change the threshold at the same time...

Do you api 2500 owners have this issue with your 2500 as well? any ways to make this work better? any hacks or such?
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I would try to NOT use it in autogain mode....push the output about 3 to 6 dB in FFW. It sounds better to me than the autogain.I might be wrong though. Try yourself!
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhard View Post
I would try to NOT use it in autogain mode....push the output about 3 to 6 dB in FFW. It sounds better to me than the autogain.I might be wrong though. Try yourself!
Yes, i use it in manual gain most of the time, but the auto gain function is great for trying different settings, since it compensates the threshold and ratio (even attack and release somewhat it seems). This way its easy to try different settings real fast with a similar loudness!

As far as i know the manual output gain feeds back into the compression circuit when in OLD mode, but not in NEW mode.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

what im noticing is that the LOUD thrust drives the signal more into compression and therefore there is more GR. With NORM thrust, there is a lot less GR. Thats why the volumes are quite different.

What surprises me is that the LOUD thrust should actually have less GR since its letting less Bass and more highs through, but its quite the opposite for me.
Any opinions on this?
Old 8th January 2018
I notice it reacts quite heavily to the high frequencies on loud. I was using it on drum room mics the other day and was really surprised how much it was clamping down on the cymbals.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazdell View Post
I notice it reacts quite heavily to the high frequencies on loud. I was using it on drum room mics the other day and was really surprised how much it was clamping down on the cymbals.
Yes you might be right. I was just testing it again with a bass heavy drum track and noticed that in loud mode, i was getting significantly more gain reduction and pumping.
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Addict

that thrust filter is almost +20dB on the top end ...

Yup, that'll clamp down on some cymbals I'd wager
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
that thrust filter is almost +20dB on the top end ...

Yup, that'll clamp down on some cymbals I'd wager
He's right you know, and it's the reason for the 'thrust' setting - essentially adds more high end so you lose less low-end with the compression
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search