The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help to choose PMC Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 2nd January 2018
Deleted 2b2d553
Need help to choose PMC Speakers

Hello everybody,

I just took the decision to change my monitoring speakers.

Actually, I have the ADAM S3X-H which are good, but 6 month ago (at a friend's studio) I discover the PMC AML2 which are really better.

It's why I want to invest in a very good active speakers now.

Is any one know the difference between :

IB 1S-A

IB 1S-AIII

IB 2S-A

MB3-A

Thanks for help...

C.Orcel
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

All current IB1S are IB1S-AIII
The IB1S-AIII uses a class D amp. the IB1S-A used a Bryston class A/B amp.
Neither the IB1S-AIII or the IB1S-A are true active speakers. They are "Activated" speakers: signal -> single amp (just built in) -> passive crossover network -> drivers
Due to this, you should also consider the non-active IB1S and IB2S which fall below and above these prices and supply your own external amp.

IB2S-A and MB3-A are both actual active speakers: signal -> active crossovers -> multiple amps (3 each speaker) -> drivers

The IB2S-A and MB3-A both have the better midrange driver (the ATC clone) that is also found on the QB1 and BB6.

The IB2S-A and MB3-A will run you considerably more than the IB1S-A. There's a huge gap in pricing there (due to: active crossovers, multiple amps in addition to better drivers and larger boxes over the IB1S-A.)

All of these speakers are better than the AML2.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

You can do darned well with a set of IB1 speakers with a good amp. Using Bryston 4BST amps here (and an older 5BST for surrounds and center). If I was starting over, I'd probably look seriously at Hypex amps as they give you a lot more bang for the buck.

That being said, if you've got the bucks for IB2 or better speakers, you'll definitely get your money's worth out of them. At that level of PMC speaker, none of them are bad, but you do get levels of better with the higher end speakers.

--Ben
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search