The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Orion 32+ as multitrack recorder Audio Interfaces
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Antelope Orion 32+ as multitrack recorder

I'm willing to buy an Antelope Orion 32+ for my studio. My intention is to use Orion 32+ and Logic Pro as a multitrack recorder connected to an analogue console. All Orion 32+ outputs will be connected to the console and monitor mixes for the musicians will be made directly from the mixer using the aux sends. To work this way I have to be sure that Orion 32+ offers the possibility of hardware monitoring without latency (Input signals sent directly to the analog outputs during recording). I have read all the information available online and the routing of Orion 32+ seems really complete but I would like to be reassured about this function by someone who already uses it. Thanks a lot.
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Head

I use their Discrete 8 pres - ALL of their units have a control panel software which allows direct monitoring, with or without effects (using their own FPGA plugins) - their A/D/A conversion sounds really good - it was a great improvement over my old Apogee 16 A/D/A units. In that regard you wouldn't necessarily need a console for monitoring.

A suggestion: check out their new Orion 32 HD - even if you don't plan on using PTools. It uses both TB and USB 3.0 which allows 64 ch on either connection and other improvements over the older unit.

Last edited by DIGIT; 26th December 2017 at 03:19 PM..
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you for your post DIGIT, I know I could do it without a console but it's the way I feel comfortable to work, I mostly mix into the box but for recording and monitoring I prefer to have a console. Old school
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Head

Sure, I dig that. The Orion 32 will definitely let you do that! But, really look at the newer HD model. Many improvements.
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Guru

I have an Orion 32 and a console and I prefer to feed the mic signals directly to the musicians before it even hits the computer. Its how I'm used to working before I had the Orion. It is just a simpler than futzing around inside the computer.
Old 26th December 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Drumsound, is the same I want to do. Can you tell me about the routing on the Orion ?
Old 26th December 2017
Gear Head

on the Orion, Goliath and Discrete you can route any input to any output. In your case, you would run a DB25 cable into your console with all the in/out you want and then, simply use the Orion control panel software to route signal as you see fit. You can save your settings for routing etc, for each sessions and/or have a generic setting that suits your studio. That's it. Very simple.
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynoiz View Post
Thanks Drumsound, is the same I want to do. Can you tell me about the routing on the Orion ?
I generally don't use it
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

The routing on the Orion 32+ is great, flexible and latency free -- though the o/s interface for routing presets is a bit cumbersome in my opinion.

The great thing is that the Orion gives you 4 different simultaneous virtual mixers to handle headphone feeds, monitor sends, submixes, etc. And the Orion's built in 'real time' plugins are nothing to sneeze at either. I use the routing for live headphone drum mixes with eq and compression, and it works great. You can save different routing presets so that you can quickly change setups on the go and remember favourite settings.

It's a highly flexible, great sounding - but slightly complicated and counter-intuitive - system.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search