The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API Channel Strip, any users?
Old 25th December 2017
API Channel Strip, any users?

I'm not a 500 series guy and I have been thinking about the API channel strip to complement my Rupert Neve Portico gear. I'm surprised there is not much talk about this unit.

What do you guys think about it? I would assume the 500 series modules are pretty much the same.
Old 25th December 2017
Whats about the new API 3124 with the onboard mixer. Im very keen to check that out. Should be great for drums and you can send a parallel mix straight out of the unit to be compressed on the way in. Great idea. That might be worth a go instead of the channel strip?
Old 27th December 2017
There must be a API Channel Strip user out there who can comment on it?
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict
I love mine - sounds great on everything (i'm one of the few that loves API on vocals). I think it would compliment your Portico gear very nicely.
Anything specific you want to know about it?
Old 27th December 2017
The API Channel Strip gets lots of use in my space. It offers the classic sounds of their 312 pre, comp, and eq, and it is also very flexible.

Tracking the top of the snare drum on rock tunes is a breeze - my favourite!
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by allof6foot6 View Post
The API Channel Strip gets lots of use in my space. It offers the classic sounds of their 312 pre, comp, and eq, and it is also very flexible.

Tracking the top of the snare drum on rock tunes is a breeze - my favourite!
I track drums with a really clean digi 8 channel pre and then send each drum track back out of the 192 convertor to a tone beast (api flavor) and a WA-76 and then back in PT recording a new track....I get more weight and the top rounds off nicely and of course more punch from the compression...I've been curious how the API channel strip would work for re-amping....Have you ever re-amped the rest of the kit?.....moon
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMusic View Post
I track drums with a really clean digi 8 channel pre and then send each drum track back out of the 192 convertor to a tone beast (api flavor) and a WA-76 and then back in PT recording a new track....I get more weight and the top rounds off nicely and of course more punch from the compression...I've been curious how the API channel strip would work for re-amping....Have you ever re-aYou can definitely add more ‘weight’ by running your recorded tracks through the 512 preamp alone. But there is so much more you can do with it! mped the rest of the kit?.....moon
Yes, you can definitely add more ‘weight’ by running your recorded tracks through it. The API Channel Strip is a 1u version of three 500 series API modules. It accepts mic, instrument, and line level inputs. You can record/reamp using all three modules, or select any combination you want, and each module can be patched in-out separately.
Old 2nd January 2018
You should see a new review of the API Channel Strip in 2018 that will hopefully provide some insight on its sound and use.
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok12345 View Post
Just bought and tested API the channel strip. A few days ago recorded vocal through RND Selford Channel. So, API is winner for me with no questions, sounds clear and very close. Compressor, EQ, Preamp, Line driver - all are exceptional. It was my biggest mistake that I have never tried API.
Curious as to the difference which put the API over the top? What music style?
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

I'd love to hear more of your comparison of the API vs the RND Shelford as I am considering a pair of channelstrips including both of these and the Aurora GTQC.
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear
API the channel strip

One more idea: The API builded with transistors ( inside the 2520 op-amp ), Shelford with microchips.
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok12345 View Post
Here we go! 2 samples - one api, second shelford. The chain: u87 -> channel strip -> Antelope Zen Tour NO processing as is -> PT12.6 NO processing just reverb added, then bounced to mp3.

Sorry, in Russian.
Thanks for the demos. In this particular case, I clearly like the API better. The Shelford is too smooth, while the API is more solid. Makes me glad I have my Portico Pre's which also are more solid sounding
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear
API the channel strip

Now, after your comment I can tell that my choice between Shelford Channel and API is API too.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

API. Also
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks. enjoyed the comparison very much. I preferred the Shelford though. It's my personal taste really. I find it easier on the ears and the heart. The sound draws attention to a vocalists emotional depths. The API pops but I'd find it tiresome after awhile.
Old 18th January 2018
Vince Gill has a API 1608 32 channel console in his home. Playing back recent recordings of him and his wife Amy Grant's recordings, I hear that solid API pre on their vocals. Depending on your taste, you can adjust the attack with your favorite compressor to get a smoother sound or to just control the accents.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Vince Gill has a API 1608 32 channel console in his home. Playing back recent recordings of him and his wife Amy Grant's recordings, I hear that solid API pre on their vocals. Depending on your taste, you can adjust the attack with your favorite compressor to get a smoother sound or to just control the accents.
Oh that's cool, I love Amy Grant, cool couple. Not sure I would have had the balls to reach for an API if I was recording her but I love that choice.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
Thanks. enjoyed the comparison very much. I preferred the Shelford though. It's my personal taste really. I find it easier on the ears and the heart. The sound draws attention to a vocalists emotional depths. The API pops but I'd find it tiresome after awhile.
I preferred the Neve on vocal as well....It sits in the mix really nice and was easier to listen to as is....Nice consistent range....Now if the source was electric guitar or drums.....moon
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Addict

Two units here, it's rock and roll in a 1 rack unit. What ever you feed it becomes heavy, gritty, fully energized. I love every thing about the unit. The pre amp is powerful, full of depth. The EQ offers just the right musical frequencies. The compressor is very responsive and capable. I got two to use as a poor man 2500.
Old 20th January 2018
It seems API can be a aggressive and can make some tracks sound a little hard. For drums and rock guitar amps it sounds great. But on softer material like CS&N, James Taylor, or smooth jazz, Rupert Neve gear would be a better choice.
Old 21st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
Curious as to the difference which put the API over the top? What music style?
Western Swing and late Classical-Romantic period
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Nut

I dont get a full channel strip but I do have a 312 preamp modified to be stand alone (got his own PSU). It doesnt fit on all vocals, and when you do so, dont push the preamp to hard. But, it may be the perfect preamp for some rock\ blues vocals that needs some Edge and Punch as well.
But if youre looking for a preamp that can be so badass on Kick, Snare, Toms, GTR, Bass Amp or DI. Man those Pres are really good.
To be consider as well with Shure SM7b, Neumann U47 fet, and some more soft\warm vocal type microphone.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
It seems API can be a aggressive and can make some tracks sound a little hard. For drums and rock guitar amps it sounds great. But on softer material like CS&N, James Taylor, or smooth jazz, Rupert Neve gear would be a better choice.
As I spend more time with API pres, the less I feel that there's anything 'specialized' about the sound. Yes, of course it has that great punchy rock guitar and tom sound, and that alone can be worth the price of admission. But just back off the gain and I can't see why it wouldn't work great on absolutely anything at all.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have 8 API Channel Strips that I made into a "side car". I pretty much use these 90% of the time. They sound amazing! The features are great and you can use each section separately via inserts if you wanted too. I just love the sound of them on pretty much anything. Having the Output knob ("Fader") is really helpful as well.

Old 26th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I have 8 API Channel Strips that I made into a "side car". I pretty much use these 90% of the time. They sound amazing! The features are great and you can use each section separately via inserts if you wanted too. I just love the sound of them on pretty much anything. Having the Output knob ("Fader") is really helpful as well.

Looks great, any reason you didn't get a 500 series rack with all the API gear instead?
Old 5th September 2019
I figured I'd resurrect this thread. Can anyone comment on using a pair of API Channel Strips on both the full mix buss & or drum buss? I'm guessing it will be in the ballpark of a 2500 (from reading other threads/reviews)?

Can the API channel strip preamps be driven into dirt/clip territory by pulling back on the line output? I've never heard of API stuff being 'abused' per say, but figured I'd throw that our there. I'm not familiar with API gear (other than the 2500 & 5500) and may try hunting a channel strip on the used market.

Cheers,

-Phil
Old 6th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
)
Can the API channel strip preamps be driven into dirt/clip territory by pulling back on the line output? I've never heard of API stuff being 'abused' per say, but figured I'd throw that our there. I'm not familiar with API gear (other than the 2500 & 5500) and may try hunting a channel strip on the used market.

Cheers,

-Phil
You can certainly lean into the inputs and the gain. I think the 3:1 tap is intended specifically to give you room to lean into the gain.
I’ve got the 512v but I think the channel has a similar implementation
Old 6th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
You can certainly lean into the inputs and the gain. I think the 3:1 tap is intended specifically to give you room to lean into the gain.
I’ve got the 512v but I think the channel has a similar implementation
Thanks for the response! This is very helpful. Are you able to comment on slapping a pair of API channels on the master buss?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 7th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Thanks for the response! This is very helpful. Are you able to comment on slapping a pair of API channels on the master buss?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil.
I'm sorry but unfortunately I can't. I really do like the 527 though.

I know 527s can be linked, and assume the channel offers the same facility. It's a very flexible unit imho. Mine is mostly used for tracking, so not a lot of line level applications at the moment, and no bus work as I've only got the one.

I can't imagine you being too terribly disappointed, but there are so many ways to go these days.

Good luck.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear
I had one. Sounded great but was a nightmare for mix recalls etc due to tiny controls jammed in. No worse than 500 series of course but drove me nuts, particularly compressor with all those knobs not clearly marked what setting u were at. No complaints with sound though. It did need repair at one point though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search