The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sebatron AXIS 200 Valve preamp paradise found! Single-Channel Preamps
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sebatron AXIS 200 Valve preamp paradise found!

Well,

I have shoved numerous signals into a Sebatron AXIS 200 VU Valve Preamplifier and this thing is amazingly good, it can go from utter clarity to total warmth and Valve goodness perhaps this is the BEST Valve Preamp I've ever, ever used In fact it was so good, I bought one ASAP and I can not await it's January arrival.

Nearly I nearly went Tube Tech and the A Designs, though from all to the MP 2 excluded the Sebatron has it, from every Thick to medium Valve unit I have tried, this Sebatron AXIS 200 VU preamp sounds astounding from utter clarity to smooth creamy goodness this is a secret I'm certain I'm not the first to know about.

Having used the VMP range yes they do sound much Fatter in a valve pushed way and are equally cool, air for days...bright too if needed though 4 channels with VU metering comes in under $2000 USD that's amazing and the AXIS 200 VU well I ran a full mix through this thing and it come out sounding detailed, warm, clean, though screamed job done!

It's amazing and astonishing to hear this as a Valve Preamp that simply - doesn't go to "Mush" and does not leaves a distinctive "Foot Print" sound though I guess imparts as much as you desire, just is in that "Goldie Locks" and the three bears scenario!

Not too thick
Not too thin
Not too bright
Not too dull

And priced just so well even the Village Idiot Engineer like me can and does hear it's tonality and subtle to variable character! It's a sublime unit, whist sound pure (see their reviews) seemingly do many demos, their Sebatron Demos do sound exactly as clean and exciting as the unit itself....they do talk it up, so get to the Music in the YouTube part.

Then hear it yourself! Totally for real!

My next Order has to be a SMAC compressor or added VMP 2000/4000 unit!

Who else has this hidden beast? It's too good! Tube tech whilst nice can't do this stuff, nor make it as clean or warm....just too cool?

Other users I'd love to hear!

Kind Regards,
Merry Christmas for 2017 or Happy Holidays!
TheLastByte
Old 24th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Well,

I have shoved numerous signals into a Sebatron AXIS 200 VU Valve Preamplifier and this thing is amazingly good, it can go from utter clarity to total warmth and Valve goodness perhaps this is the BEST Valve Preamp I've ever, ever used In fact it was so good, I bought one ASAP and I can not await it's January arrival.

Nearly I nearly went Tube Tech and the A Designs, though from all to the MP 2 excluded the Sebatron has it, from every Thick to medium Valve unit I have tried, this Sebatron AXIS 200 VU preamp sounds astounding from utter clarity to smooth creamy goodness this is a secret I'm certain I'm not the first to know about.

Having used the VMP range yes they do sound much Fatter in a valve pushed way and are equally cool, air for days...bright too if needed though 4 channels with VU metering comes in under $2000 USD that's amazing and the AXIS 200 VU well I ran a full mix through this thing and it come out sounding detailed, warm, clean, though screamed job done!

It's amazing and astonishing to hear this as a Valve Preamp that simply - doesn't go to "Mush" and does not leaves a distinctive "Foot Print" sound though I guess imparts as much as you desire, just is in that "Goldie Locks" and the three bears scenario!

Not too thick
Not too thin
Not too bright
Not too dull

And priced just so well even the Village Idiot Engineer like me can and does hear it's tonality and subtle to variable character! It's a sublime unit, whist sound pure (see their reviews) seemingly do many demos, their Sebatron Demos do sound exactly as clean and exciting as the unit itself....they do talk it up, so get to the Music in the YouTube part.

Then hear it yourself! Totally for real!

Who else has this hidden beast? It's too good! Tube tech whilst nice can't do this stuff, nor make it as clean or warm....just too cool?

Other users I'd love to hear!

Kind Regards,
Merry Christmas for 2017 or Happy Holidays!
TheLastByte
I have to agree with you on all those points. I've been use my axis preamp on just about all my recordings .From vocals to drums , I've tracked everything -heavy rock guitar using an SM57 on the cab to glorious Indian Sitar with a full range condenser and the axis captured all the nuances with overwhelming detail.Loving that adjustable high pass also for taking out any subs or low frequency rumble.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Seb has always had an interesting take on tones and valves.

I remember when he had his workshop behind the music swap in Carlton Melbourne and have followed his products as they’ve evolved over the years. His original VMPC’s (Valve mic pre compressor) had a certain sparkle and valve tone that I’ve not heard again.. but then again I don’t really track at all anymore but plan to again soon so might check one out.

His original compressor designs were based on the dbx 160 VU curves but with valves so it was a cool sound.

Liked the sound of his ‘Nitrous’ compressor and in particular his shovel looking pedal that was dubbed ‘dual dynamic’ filter which was awesome but think he only made a few of them.

Will check out his SMAC unit as I’m more a compressor eq user these days.

They’re still using his custom valve DI st my old studio along side the vintage neve so that’s testament to his sound and gear!

Wiggy
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

I was sold on the Sebatron sound when @ dylanwissing did his drum shootout with one. I'm definitely getting one in the near future. Thanks for posting about the Axis as I was wondering if it was as nice sounding as the VMP range since I've seen a few on Reverb for decent $$$.
Old 27th December 2017
Quote:
The SMAC compressor is probably the best opto compressor I have ever used.
If you want that creamy silky type of compression for vocals , drums or full mixes you can't go wrong with the SMAC !
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Head

Has anyone compared the Sebatron AXIS tube pre with the Sebatron vmp4000E ?
I'm wondering how the two are different (or similar) to each other.

Anyone using the AXIS for drum overheads ?
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Indeed I have, briefly though....not a drum kit though Microphone and D.I and simply put, I'd say the AXIS is a possibly tamer tube Preamp and line driver, (Hey shoving Stems through that unit is a great tonality) the VMP series, well on the occasions used, it's the filtering and equalisation that seems more complete then those simple Axis controls. The 4 Eyes as metering is just too cool! I think for the Bass player and Guitarist the VMP series have more gain, (Immediate) and more Toooob sound which in itself is subjective. Me I'm dumbstruck as to Transfomers, Valve Preamp and Eq along the range. I'm saving for a 2 channel VMP 2000 meter version, if a 4000 comes along I might well jump in! Amazing dude! This is JLM undiscovered yet again! My problem, I need 4 channels of each! That's on Axis and VMP - There is apparently a new Compresser design coming I was told? I've not tried it. I went Buzz Soc 20 though...both seem very different though near same idea in Boutique approach!

Phew...I thought I'd bought a box alone!
Hmmm!
TLB
Old 22nd February 2018
Quote:
All the time. The axis is perfect for overheads as it gives a type of sheen and tames any heavy transient from drum or cymbals.
I also consider it a valuable bass D.I. . Better than micing a bass cab IMHO.
Old 3rd March 2018
Quote:
The SMAC compressor is probably the best opto compressor I have ever used.
If you want that creamy silky type of compression for vocals , drums or full mixes you can't go wrong with the SMAC !

I've just put an order in for a SMAC compressor.

I can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Seb has always had an interesting take on tones and valves.

I remember when he had his workshop behind the music swap in Carlton Melbourne and have followed his products as they’ve evolved over the years. His original VMPC’s (Valve mic pre compressor) had a certain sparkle and valve tone that I’ve not heard again.. but then again I don’t really track at all anymore but plan to again soon so might check one out.

His original compressor designs were based on the dbx 160 VU curves but with valves so it was a cool sound.

Liked the sound of his ‘Nitrous’ compressor and in particular his shovel looking pedal that was dubbed ‘dual dynamic’ filter which was awesome but think he only made a few of them.

Will check out his SMAC unit as I’m more a compressor eq user these days.

They’re still using his custom valve DI st my old studio along side the vintage neve so that’s testament to his sound and gear!

Wiggy
That's serious History Wiggy!
Very cool!
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Nut

Been thinking of getting the Axis to stereo mic my upright piano in the studio. Do you guys reckon it will be a good investment? The sound demos I’ve heard for acoustic guitar really impressed me.

My upright is a full 52 inch and doesn’t suffer from the typical honky tonk sound but I figured a tube pre would help even more at rounding some of the tinny transients.
Old 24th November 2018
Quote:
My upright is a full 52 inch and doesn’t suffer from the typical honky tonk sound but I figured a tube pre would help even more at rounding some of the tinny transients.

I have recorded a lot of jazz piano through the Sebatron AXIS preamp and it always provides a beautiful wide open sound. An ample amount of gain and very quiet.
I've most often use a pair of AKG C414 on our Baldwin upright (one at either end with the lid open) but there have also been sessions when I have used a Shure KSM44 and have had equally outstanding results.
That preamp is very well suited to acoustic instruments and female voice.
Old 26th November 2018
If you're recording Piano you should try and get hold of a pair of DPA 4099 Condensers.
I hired a pair a few months back for some classical Piano recording and the sound was stunning.
They are a heavenly match with the sebatron axis preamp.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Nut

Thank you both. I had held out on a decision but it might be time soon!
Old 20th January 2019
Been seriously considering getting a couple of Neumann TLM107 .

Not just for piano .I'm sure they will have a lot of uses elsewhere.
Vocals and acoustic instruments and the odd distinct percussion.
Through the AXIS they should sound rich and wide.
I like what I'm hearing here :

Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Do it ! They are great mics with nice flat frequency response .
The multi-pattern capability makes them very versatile for a lot of applications.
I particularly like them on female vocals.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbaide View Post

Not just for piano .I'm sure they will have a lot of uses elsewhere.
Vocals and acoustic instruments and the odd distinct percussion.
Through the AXIS they should sound rich and wide.
I like what I'm hearing here :

That is indeed a very fine recording .

Also a very quiet signal chain as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

DPA 4099 are great piano mics but you'll probably find the TLM 107 a bit more versatile .

I've owned both , sold the DPA4099s , but still have the TLM 107s.

They are regularly used on female vocals and acoustic guitar.
I'd imagine through a tube preamp they would sound even sweeter.
Shure KSM44 is another fav of mine for grand or upright piano.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Has anyone compared the Sebatron axis tube pre with the Sebatron vmp4000e ?
I'm wondering how the two are different (or similar) to each other.

I use two sebatron vmp-4000e for all my tracking so I couldn't say how the axis compares but from what I have read the sebatron axis is a bit more suited to delicate acoustic instruments like flute or mandolin.
Doesn't mean you wouldn't use it for drums or guitar cab etc.

i'd say with drum overheads choice of mic and mic placement would override the differences between these two preamps
considering they are both tube based.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Loving that adjustable high pass also for taking out any subs or low frequency rumble.

I find the high pass filter on the axis an extremely effective utility for trimming off any bottom end
or rumble that can be a nuisance with acoustic/classical instrument recording.
My preference is to have a microphone up close to the instrument and have another microphone a few meters back to capture any ambience.
This gives me some more control when it comes to the mixing stage.

The sebatron axis gives me the a wide detailed sound that I can't get through any of my other preamps.
Most of my solid state preamps sounds brittle on a close miced violin for example but that's not the case with the axis.
It sounds warm , open and detailed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search