The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Acquired by Audiotonix Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Prob a lot of both. as long as Chainsmokers, Ed sherhan and Diplo dominate the young listeners.. laptops will be the tool of choice, and bedrooms the new capitol records

however as far as audio gear impact UA has done a great job of marketing.. starting with using a "cool" retro band sample in their sting 10 sec ads, and dominating every mag [remember those?] back cover

I was thinking, what is flying off the shelf these days?
Def prosumer computer interfaces..[ dream catchers!)
and UA is top of that, in that its a Local music store thing -and -they have the top guys using the plugins.. which you need the HW for,

SSL has done a great job of Lic the brand to 3rd party plugins... [Duende is now the child still living in the basement at home, in terms of their interest with it.]
the brand has a pretty complete lineup..
they did cheaper with alpha stuff.

What would this gearslutz community say "whoa" to? I wonder..

an AWS that has the punch/crack of a G...?
somewhat the way the shelford modules can make a RND console a whole new/ old thing?...

like that Neve sidecar they came out with ?for like 89k lol
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Here is the best video on using the XL desk. Note there is a part 1 and part 2. They really discuss how to use this mixer with a DAW. It's a wonderful mixer: I personally would like one with 8 Ssl Eq's and 2 Rupert Neve 500 series Eq's for channels 9 & 10 for a different flavor.

James From Production Expert Gets A Guided Tour Of The SSL XL Desk Part 1 - YouTube

The best thing of course is going to a studio that has one or visit SSl in the UK or in New York and try it out yourself. The other option is seeing it at the AES shows.
It was a good vid.. except he ended up with a dif desk.. an Audient
Jim did this
YouTube

But not to be the "style council " here but they never do a dynamic sexy vid that gets one to juiced up on the club of SSL..
perhaps they should have an cool echo and bunnymen, cure 80s vibe version of this
YouTube
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
love lastbytes takes.. it takes me 2 reads but always worth it

to respond: it is a lot of comps.. but is kind of " logical"
they did rack stuff , they have a vaunted " better back when " in the comp 348
then all the newer stuff which followed a pretty straight pattern..only dif was taking the time to develop a whole new rack system before finally doing 500 series. [ which many designers say they find "limiting"]

[BTW the Xrack is pretty full on if you consider it.. recallable HW.. you can build a console or strips,I had one and liked the 9000 comps a lot, the gates esp, and I dont own a 9000 ]

And yes LB maybe none do that "thing"
Perhaps one issue is that the SSL bus comp was always/mostly part of the console.. so snapping it off never made everyone happy or at least their memories of it.. unlike the the 33609 that was never in a console so was free to be itself.. but correct me if im wrong.
I think they listened.. they did the black comp and eq on xrack, they did 500 series black stuff.. then they did high pass mod on the 500 comp.. then they made a black nucleus.. they did the Delta plugin for the DAW control of their HW..

And quite smartly, IMO, have gotten deep into the live console market. they have quite a range of products if you add it all up. And, to their credit, didnt do Mics and Speakers.

I have an SSL sigma and some duende SW from SSL and like an 80s person did my first major label record on one at Le Studio in Moran heights Quebec.. one of the first I was told by Ken Scott who was producing.
But i have a smart C1LA on the back of the Sigma, which does what I need on most days.. so the SSL thing is alive and well in so many 3rd partys..

Yeah.... Fair enough - Me and this iPad nope we are not good friends so 2 reads I'm with you! Years ago I had time to type now not really etc! Sorry!

Yes, good points though a 12/12 (switch to 1-12 then 12-24) Buss AWS console from SSL might be very, very cool. Then again I did grow up learning that on all consoles (save SL4000's at mix time) sub grouping drum tracks, and guitars to comping Backing Vocals was the normal thing.

Hence bussing tracks around, and these days seemingly nothing less then any digital routing structure will do where with VCA control all those years ago...well you were forced to do two things.

46 tracks on 2" tape with Time code was either an not expensive scenario or for Indie Bands an expensive scenario as Sony/BMG didn't care if I used 300 reels of 2" tape. Bands funding there own recordings did! They cared about 2 reels! Rightfully so!

The live stuff.....nope not my gig!

As to the Neve 2254/33609 I'm pretty certain the 33609 did come out as more a broadcast and Geoff Tanner designed that, still I do wonder and I'm sure that the 33609 type existed in guises with different consoles though with different serial numbers prior to this. And sure when the government is paying as in BBC and other national Broadcast Bills, well you grab as much stuff as possible so I do understand that one, more so the Auctions where staff took units and $50.00 bucks, that soon stopped!

The product range from SSL, apart from the FX G 384 was a faction Reaction to Neve VR racks...and I guess well so many amazing minds have come from the many once huge giant companies and I get this, if I was an EE engineer whom had created a wonder box those companies now rely on as "Their Sound and Thing" yes I would go off and make my fortune where a new startup in the 1990's paid big money!

You do mention numerous products I'll give you that!

In reply I can only say this. Not even a Pro Tools Rig is propertional to any Console cost. No, there's never been so much audio gear since the late 1970's to early 1990's then today. With 2 omissions:
Capture Units
Audio Consoles

People can and do talk Analog tape and consoles and yes they had a certain sound, though I never ever heard anyone during the Adat blackface Era complain, ohhhh No! They sound so dreadful no Sir!

Everyone sat there stunningly amazed that you...YOU didn't need a Sony 3348 or Mistsubishi Pro Digi 32 track to do this! That was true emancipation and dragging your feet to Sony or EMI or insert record label and getting an album of single out was too easy!

Why did you need them? Radio and Video as video has always been maybe 3-5 years more advanced then Audio I guess it was more still an improving medium and much less mature type technology, as it went to hard disk video got easy, still...this meant good type Video still cost big money, recording at a home studio not too heavy. Film I guess slowly dying though a medium of colour grading in and of itself.

People say recording Studios are dead?
So this happened to video, until Red and Arri digital came along!

The point here!

When iTunes comes to 24/96kHz just watch things change! When will this happen globally no idea sooner the later though! Then again, I've just seen the Warm Audio 1073 line up and it's amazing the sound no idea the look, more AMS Neve then AMS Neve....this will be interesting as one mans SSL bus compressor is another's $500 buck box, and a 1073 module was 25 years ago very highly coveted and today, I just wonder, honestly is it new ears or old parts, have Warm Audio finally cracked the walnut? I'll believe it when I hear it myself!

Though we do agree here, a C1-LA 500 compressor is a mighty unit!
Too true!

Regards,
TLB
Old 27th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
They need the music recording biz to come back.

I think we all do

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search