The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann u67 hard/flight case options Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2017
Neumann u67 hard/flight case options

Hi,

Im looking for a flightcase/hardcase for my Neumann u67 with original powersupply and the old z48 shockmount.

I know there is a ton of options but i would really appreciate if someone could point out a suitable one. It would be great if someone could suggest one on the cheap side and one more classy like the ones that comes with the new Telefunken mic's etc.

Im in Sweden so EU would be preferable!

Thanks!

Last edited by crille_mannen; 20th December 2017 at 03:53 PM..
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Aren't they the same size as a U87? You could order one of the Neumann hard cases with the U87 insert. You could also buy one of the wooden boxes from Neumann and then place that in something like a Pelican case along with the power supply and cables. You've basically got a $10k mic, don't skimp out on the case... I like Pelican, check out one of the stores like Pelican™ Cases | Waterproof Gear Cases | The Pelican Store , being christmas you could probably get a good case for it for under $100.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely pelican case
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Amazon.com: Neumann Foam Insert for U87 Ai Microphone

I forgot you could order those separately. Get one of those and a pelican case with the pluck foam, that's your best bet!
Old 20th December 2017
SKB makes a case similar to the Pelican at a lower cost:

iSeries 3424 Waterproof Case (wth cubed foam) | SKB Music / ProAV
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Pelican case with the laser-cut stiffer foam: Polyethylene Anti-Static or Cross Linked Polyethylene. Mostly because they don't degrade like softer foams.
And don't forget to put some desiccant packs in with the mic to absorb any moisture (both from vocalists and from humidity/dew point/temperature changes)
Old 20th December 2017
Here for the gear

Pelicase 1520 here
Old 3rd January 2018
Thanks for all the suggestions! With some detective work i found a a danish company that had both peli-cases and their own in aluminium cases for a very affordable price. I paid about 60$/case and they feel sturdy enough to hold the mic's and it looks much nicer then the black plastic pelican cases!
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann u67 hard/flight case options-mic-case.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! With some detective work i found a a danish company that had both peli-cases and their own in aluminium cases for a very affordable price. I paid about 60$/case and they feel sturdy enough to hold the mic's and it looks much nicer then the black plastic pelican cases!
I hope these cases fit all your needs. *Personally*, I wouldn't put any mic I cared about in those cases and check them with *any* airline or ship them.

Flying with them as carry on? Maybe, but in the US, if the over heads get full you'd be required to check them or not fly. I'm not sure I'd ever be in the mood to wait for a flight that had room for them. Could be a long wait.....

Maybe you were looking for flight cases but do not intend to fly with them? That could make sense as most people really don't fly/ship their mics.

The price is certainly right. Good luck!
Old 3rd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
I hope these cases fit all your needs. *Personally*, I wouldn't put any mic I cared about in those cases and check them with *any* airline or ship them.

Flying with them as carry on? Maybe, but in the US, if the over heads get full you'd be required to check them or not fly. I'm not sure I'd ever be in the mood to wait for a flight that had room for them. Could be a long wait.....

Maybe you were looking for flight cases but do not intend to fly with them? That could make sense as most people really don't fly/ship their mics.

The price is certainly right. Good luck!
No I won't ship them its more for proper storage and carrying them from and to the studio!

Cheers!
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No I won't ship them its more for proper storage and carrying them from and to the studio!

Cheers!
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi,
Did the foam come cutted or did you cut the foam yourself?
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
Hi,
Did the foam come cutted or did you cut the foam yourself?
It was like a square block-foam where you could easily cut it out or rip it out chunk by chunk the way you wanted it. Clever construction for sure!

Someone suggested getting a bit more stable or hard foam, which is probably a good idea. I have a foam factory nearby so I might give them a call!
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Foam can easily be cut with CNC waterjet (if CAD drawing or at least some vectorial image is provided there are nearly no programming costs). Usually waterjet is much slower than laser but foam is cut easily. Laser could be tricky and fumes can be toxic and also corrosive.

Never tried with a hot wire cutter (user for expanded polystyrene foam). Until now I mainly used pre-cut foam blocks but I'm somewhat over-careful anyway (see the topic I started about foam inserts which can end badly degraded after some time).

As much as possible expensive (and especially personally owned) gear should obviously never be checked in. I've stopped counting the number of times checked in baggage didn't arrive as expected (worst was BA but that's another story).
Old 4th January 2018
I've found that an electric knife is a good way to safely cut foam. I bought one for less than $20.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Guru

Pelican !!! lifetime warranty ... i had a case for too many years ... i walked into Pelican and was in the Lobby, waiting for service to take a look at my case .. the Owner walks in and says "wow, look at that thing, how long have you had that case, i said many years .. he says to the girl at the desk .. get that guy a brand new one" .. and just today they are sending me new wheels for a case .. I have lots of Pelican Love !!!
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
I've found that an electric knife is a good way to safely cut foam. I bought one for less than $20.
Thanks for the hint. Never tried as I don't have any electric knife.
I suppose it will mainly work for straight or at least not tightly curved cuts.
For thin foam sheets up to maybe 40 mm (about 1.6") or so maybe a "thermal knife" (simply an insulated grip with an electrically heated replacable blade) used for expanded polystyrene insulation can be used.

Here I use a few cheap Pelican imitation cases with "modular" (i.e. partially pre-cut squares) foam inserts but due to my bad experience with long term durability I don't use much foam inserts. I've noticed that some of those lower-end copies work well and are much less expensive.
Mechanically speaking the copies I use are quite good and for higher demand uses I have extremely sturdy Swiss army surplus Edak (totally unrelated to Edac connectors) cases made of aluminuium, they're more robust than flight cases, Pelican or Zero Halliburton but also much heavier. They're not to be confused with those lower end aluminum cases sold in stores.
The heavy-duty alu cases I'm referring to meet STANAG/NATO standards though due to their high cost and empty weight they're less used nowadays. They're also very hard to find now (and unaffodarble when new).

They look like these ones (different sizes, and as said, not to be confused with the much more common weaker commercial types, there is even a more robust type with aluminium skids but I didn't find pics and only small quantities were sold):
www.offroad-leipzig.de | Zarges 120 Liter A10, 120l, Box gebraucht von der Bundeswehr, Transportbox, Alubox, Aluminium Kiste, BW

(Supposedly Zarges made the same but I only own original Edak, they were typically sold for CHF/EUR/USD 20 to 50 directly from the Swiss army surplus stores (now managed by RUAG, the defense technology company owned by the Swiss state) but as saiid they've become very rare. Edak also made shock-damped 19" rack cases with front and rear lid but I never found any af a reasonable price.)

For sensitive small parts I have some army surplus ammunition boxes made of steel, they're undestructible but heavy.

For in-house storage I use cheap Utz polyproylene boxes, they're not watertight but very convenient and there are lots of accessories (these boxes are also widely used by firefighters as they're a good compromise between robustness and weight):
Stacking Containers order online | Georg Utz AG

Obviously here I don't care about the esthetics, I just absolutely hate equipmentl failures and that includes damaged cases, so functionality and robustness are very important. Weight is annoying but I prefer heavy cases than damaged ones.

Oh, and obviously I like the Rode NTG3 protective tube.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I prefer the latches on the Stormcase better then the standard Pelican.
But either would be moisture/humidity proof as opposed to the aluminum case shown above.
But if looks are all your after.....
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I prefer the latches on the Stormcase better then the standard Pelican.
But either would be moisture/humidity proof as opposed to the aluminum case shown above.
But if looks are all your after.....
How can a case be humidity proof? Then you would have to vaccum seal it huh? I live in Sweden and we have very dramatic climate and humidity changes over the seasons. You go ahead and right me if im wrong but wouldn't it just be better to use desiccant packages and change those on a regular basis?
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Both Pelican and Storm cases have an airtight seal with a pressure relief valve for flight.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Aluminium cases are more likely to develop condensation on the inner side of the walls if moved from a cold to a warm environment. My post was meant generally and mostly focused on mechanical robustness (very rough handling). If required I leave sensitive equipment in their protective case and put the whole case in larger ex-army alu cases, sometimes together with less fragile stuff. In some cases it's also possible to use sealed plastic bags and silicagel is another option (once turned pink it can be regenerated to blue by heating it up, it has been done so for lab dessicators since ages).

As original Peli cases are highly overpriced where I live (Switzerland, about everything is much more expensive than in the USA) I use relatively cheap copies which are periodically on sale here, they do their job and I periodically check the foam inserts for degradation. For demanding heavy-duty uses I take metallic cases.
One issue with those foam insert cases it that I usually can't find the ideal size so I end with a space-consuming too large case and once the foam insert is tailored for a specific device I can no longer use that case for something else but sure that it looks nice, like in movies where snipers always carry their rifle case with perfectly cut foam inserts.

Another forum member mentioned Hofbauer, especially their Pelican-like series made in Europe:
Industriekoffer von Hofbauer :: eine Erfolgsgeschichte
(I don't know their products.)

BTW referring to hermetically closed cases with a manual pressure compensation valve I wonder if some mics can be damaged if the pressure compensation is brutal (I suppose that it's not the case but I don't know).
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoeller View Post
(...)silicagel is another option (once turned pink it can be regenerated to blue by heating it up, it has been done so for lab dessicators since ages)
More details here: Silica Bags As Desiccants: Do they work?

Quote:
BTW referring to hermetically closed cases with a manual pressure compensation valve I wonder if some mics can be damaged if the pressure compensation is brutal (I suppose that it's not the case but I don't know).
Almost all high-quality condenser mics use pressure compensation/equalization methods for their capsules that prevent internal build up of pressure, or a pressure differential between capsule components and the outside world, that could harm their extremely thin diaphragms. Other microphone components, including vacuum tubes, are not affected.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

I was mainly referring to extremely fast absolute atmospheric pressure changes, i.e. worrying about the speed of the pressure change, not the pressure difference as such.

For silicagel there are basic formulas, it's simple chemistry. Obviously you need to limit the ingress of humid air as each gram of dessicant can only absorb a limited mass of water.
Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
More details here: Silica Bags As Desiccants: Do they work?

Almost all high-quality condenser mics use pressure compensation/equalization methods for their capsules that prevent internal build up of pressure, or a pressure differential between capsule components and the outside world, that could harm their extremely thin diaphragms. Other microphone components, including vacuum tubes, are not affected.

So 3-4 inches? Thats quite a bag. So recommend it to be in the same plastic bag as the mic? Not just in the case itself?

Will any type of plastic bag (aka 2-3liter bags that you can buy in any grocery store) or do you recommend any special type?

Thanks!
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

You can take a Ziploc bag to reduce the air volume. Personally when I need an airtightly closed bag I seal some common cheap LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene) bag with a basic low-cost sealing "machine" costing a few CHF/EUR/USD and available everywhere, the business end is a simple heating wire which is used to make a welded seam. As total OT note, I also use it to reclose all sorts of bags with food.

With silicagel there's just the risk of a pierced pouch which could lead to silicagel powder and fragments to end scattered everywhere.

Edited:
Many sold tube rolls to make bags at home are HDPE (High Density PE) which personally I don't like very much, that brittle sounding material tends to make wrinkles and is IMO more difficult to seal (purely objective, I didn't check the respective usual melting points).
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So 3-4 inches? Thats quite a bag. So recommend it to be in the same plastic bag as the mic? Not just in the case itself?
If you read my advisory I linked: yes, in the same plastic bag. If the silica pouch were outside the hermetically sealed plastic bag, it would keep sucking in the great outdoors, neutralizing the crystals within minutes.

RE: size- you need enough absorbent material to effectively suck the moist air out of the mic, so a silica pouch that's much less than about 2-3 inches square will not have enough of the absorbent crystals inside.

Quote:
Will any type of plastic bag (aka 2-3liter bags that you can buy in any grocery store) or do you recommend any special type?
Any type of bag will do as long as you can:

1. seal it tightly around the mic (with the silica pouch INSIDE the plastic bag, tugged against the mic head)

2. guarantee if won't leak (no use in limiting the airflow into the bag, if there's a hole or other leaking opening)
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Maniac

A few of my many cases
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann u67 hard/flight case options-jones-cases.jpg  
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

I use these in my SKB flight cases.
Never had a moisture problem.
And you can bake them for reuse.

40 Gram Rechargeable Silica Gel Canister

Denny
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Product description of the above: "Protects 3 Cubic Feet of Enclosed Space"

"Enclosed" is the key word here: if additional air gets to the canister, it will neutralize fast and become inefficient- same issue that affects any silica container: you need to limit the amount of air getting to the desiccant.

Last edited by Klaus; 7th January 2018 at 02:50 AM..
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

edak is now Desapro.

I was specifically referring to the STANEX product line:
Stanex – DESAPRO

PDF here:
http://desapro.com/wp-content/upload...x-brochure.pdf
http://www.tabarkerassociates.com/stanex.pdf

The gas tight version is not listed anywhere as it was a special design for the Swiss army.

The smaller plastic gas mask filter cases with amovible polypropylene tray were great too and much lighter (either Wez or Utz, I'd have to check).

Anyway, for condensation issues the best solution is to seal and use dessicants. Most cases beside some Pelican (original or copies) are not really highly gas tight and therefore dessicator bags are only useful if packed in a hermetically sealed bag together with the goods to protect.

Edit:
Found a PDF showing some original Edak Stanex:
Here's a PDF about Edak being now Desapro: http://files8.webydo.com/93/9332874/...B0A87DCF15.pdf

Last edited by Schoeller; 21st January 2018 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Link added.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search