The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLA-100 (Summit Audio) best tubes?
Old 20th December 2017
Here for the gear

TLA-100 (Summit Audio) best tubes?

Hello,

Think I need to buy only one tube, because I assume the TLA-100 only used one in them (TLA-100A use two?). But correct me if I’m wrong.

The tubes that I hear great things about are RCA 12AX7, Nos Daystrom by Mullard 12AX7, Telefunken ECC83, RCA black plate military spec’d version 7025.
And Dave Hill recommended Shuguang 12AX7B.

Help me guys, it is my vocal comp if that could give a hint while suggesting.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
Hello,

Think I need to buy only one tube, because I assume the TLA-100 only used one in them (TLA-100A use two?). But correct me if I’m wrong.

The tubes that I hear great things about are RCA 12AX7, Nos Daystrom by Mullard 12AX7, Telefunken ECC83, RCA black plate military spec’d version 7025.
And Dave Hill recommended Shuguang 12AX7B.

Help me guys, it is my vocal comp if that could give a hint while suggesting.
I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

take the mullard, the rca or telefunken! no china tube
the only things which differ from the older and newer unit are:
older tla got a unbalanced output and shipped with a mullard tube.
I masturbated myself way too much in a older thread saying the older units were much better, lol!
Now I see everywhere guys which are selling "the first version Dave Hill" as the better one (even they are often not selling the older unit) with of course way higher prices...this is quite pathetic!
Old 23rd December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
I masturbated myself way too much in a older thread saying the older units were much better, lol!
Now I see everywhere guys which are selling "the first version Dave Hill" as the better one (even they are often not selling the older unit) with of course way higher prices...this is quite pathetic!
The reason for this is, as I understand it, that at one point Summit had a dip for a few years (moving their factory and such), but came back making great TLA’s again. However, parts change over time and, as with anything, people prefer different revisions. The early units are more sought after because they were hand-built by the man who designed them. Dave Hill is a very respected technician, topnotch and fluent in many different genres of professional audio. Hence in great demand at both ends of it, which is unique, classic or innovative, from ATR-service to Avid. Therefore I have no problem seeing why people put their trust in Dave's original concept of the TLA-100.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The reason for this is, as I understand it, that at one point Summit had a dip for a few years (moving their factory and such), but came back making great TLA’s again. However, parts change over time and, as with anything, people prefer different revisions. The early units are more sought after because they were hand-built by the man who designed them. Dave Hill is a very respected technician, topnotch and fluent in many different genres of professional audio. Hence in great demand at both ends of it, which is unique, classic or innovative, from ATR-service to Avid. Therefore I have no problem seeing why people put their trust in Dave's original concept of the TLA-100.
Hi Piggy...nope! This is bull**** honestly! Open all the units ever made and you will notice they are all the same, only differences are tubes and being balanced or not. Tubes should be changed no matter what after years of use. Summit build them the same as Dave Hill...no magic hand. I had 2 newer units and one very old. If you don't believe me buy as many units as you want and compare, take pictures and keep updated the gearslutz. Do you really think *if* Dave Hill manipulated *eventually* the iron solder it would sound better?
Al Schmitt seems more than happy with his regular units? I'm perfectly fine with no matter unit and a good nos tube, good luck! Or good masturbating for the ones thinking they will buy or got the "graal"
Old 23rd December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDBILL View Post
Hi Piggy...nope! This is bull**** honestly! Open all the units ever made and you will notice they are all the same, only differences are tubes and being balanced or not. Tubes should be changed no matter what after years of use. Summit build them the same as Dave Hill...no magic hand. I had 2 newer units and one very old. If you don't believe me buy as many units as you want and compare, take pictures and keep updated the gearslutz. Do you really think *if* Dave Hill manipulated *eventually* the iron solder it would sound better?
Al Schmitt seems more than happy with his regular units? I'm perfectly fine with no matter unit and a good nos tube, good luck! Or good masturbating for the ones thinking they will buy or got the "graal"
Firstly the TLA-100 used one tube. Secondly according to Summit themselves parts has changed. Does it mean a change in sound besides the Mullard? I don’t know, though some people swear by it. But that is not my point. I was saying that it is totally understandable that people would trust the original designers hands-on stuff. Even a tech at Summit expressed this sentiment.

As far as masturbating, it seems like you have discovered something about yourself. Congratulations!
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Firstly the TLA-100 used one tube. Secondly according to Summit themselves parts has changed. Does it mean a change in sound besides the Mullard? I don’t know, though some people swear by it. But that is not my point. I was saying that it is totally understandable that people would trust the original designers hands-on stuff. Even a tech at Summit expressed this sentiment.

As far as masturbating, it seems like you have discovered something about yourself. Congratulations!
As you want the pig!

It never had 2 tubes...

And it's never too late to discover good things...

Last edited by KIDBILL; 23rd December 2017 at 10:19 PM..
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Don't think I'd waste serious Tooobe money on a TLM 100 or 50 as handy as they are, they're only good as a comp prior to a better comp! Chinese valves or JJ whatever I'd say is cool. Brand tubes a waste of money. Summit really were born from second hand audio dealers etc!
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Summit really were born from second hand audio dealers etc!
Most interesting post in a long time... care to elaborate?
Old 24th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Don't think I'd waste serious Tooobe money on a TLM 100 or 50 as handy as they are, they're only good as a comp prior to a better comp! Chinese valves or JJ whatever I'd say is cool. Brand tubes a waste of money. Summit really were born from second hand audio dealers etc!
Depends on its use. For certain things the TLA can be the best. That is why top-engineers use them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search