The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Manley Reference Cardioid Condenser Microphones
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I've owned a Gold for many, many years. Imagine a 251 with less coloration. It's like less harmonic content in the mids, and less phase shift in the top, but with similar pronounced, silky smooth highs. Amazing on acoustics and female singers, or anybody with an airy voice. Basically, any application where you'd use a 251 or C12. It's just a more hifi version of that, if that makes sense. And the variable pattern control really allows you to tailor either the lows or the highs by moving in between patterns (towards fig 8 to go darker, or towards omni to make the bass leaner).

When I had the silver, I was comparing it to a C37a and a M367 (U67 with AC701). It didn't have that forward 3k of the C37a, but had a low end that was huger than both mics. Maybe more low end from any mic I've ever heard outside of the 507. Had a similar top end to the U67, but a flatter mid flavor. Was a great substitute for a 67 on guitar amps, where the 67 is my favorite.

Sorry, but I'm not into posting my shootouts anymore. If you can dig up Kathleen Wilhoite's "Pitch Like a Girl," which is an album I did many years ago (my first major label record), that was the Gold into 1073, probably into an 1176. She has a sort of Bonnie Raitt thing. I used it on vox and acoustic. Great acoustic mic.
Only managed to find (an awfully distorted) sample on YT. It wasn't a direct request to yourself for comparisons btw, more so in general. I liked what I heard on the Sweetwater shootout on the female vocals.

Thanks for the descriptions, very helpful.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
She could sing down a phone and blow your head off, but that Gold does sound absolutely wonderful with her voice. No traces of sibilance either, I wonder what the full chain was.
Manley Gold>Neve 31104>ADR F769 Vocal Stressor
(from what I was told)

If memory serves me correctly.

However, it may have been the TLA100.

The ADR is a freaking dark horse of a unit. It's got everything on it including ear muffs.

I'll ask...

Once you hit 50 everything becomes a blur
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Head

I am the lucky owner of a Lawson MPII body and Fet body with both 47 and 251 caps. Also Manley Gold and Cardoid Ref. (ser.#000 ) Was recording my favorite soprano the other day and usual chain of Manley Gold/Fearn/Summit wasn't cutting it, sounded strident. Switched to Lawson 251. magic. warmth and air. For my froggy male vox, I really like the Manley Ref c. Makes me work harder to get a good vocal but I'm also partial to the Lawson 47 for smoother girth from time to time. You can hear the Manley Gold on fem vox at peggohodes.com, front page has a jazz track. MG/Fearn/Summit. I recommend the Lawson for big, smooth male vox and versatility. there's a full kit of tube/fet/251/47 either on GS or reverb for $2700. can't go wrong. I'm considering an AA cm49 or Peluso P49. My name is Paul. I'm an addict.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
She could sing down a phone and blow your head off, but that Gold does sound absolutely wonderful with her voice. No traces of sibilance either, I wonder what the full chain was.
Winehouse didn't do S's. But yeah, what a freak great voice. Such a loss. And the Manley gets her right.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrpaul View Post
My name is Paul. I'm an addict.
An in the closet addict!!! You joined GS in 2004, within a year after it jumped to the new board and you have just 30 posts in 14 years, lol.

Paul, I believe that has to be a record..... you are clearly a busy man.

Are you planning on adding that Manley Silver to the collection?
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Winehouse didn't do S's. But yeah, what a freak great voice. Such a loss. And the Manley gets her right.
There's a couple in there! But yeah, she has her technique down.

@ gtrpaul - had my eye on the Lawson 251 for a while!
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Head

I'd love to have the Manley Silver.
Old 16th January 2018
I love my Manley Ref mic and many times run it through my Langevin DVC pre ad I get magic
Old 28th January 2018
Just stumbled into this..."1974 Neumann U87. Just restored by a top Neumann mic tech. New K87 capsule and recap. I have a receipt that details the work performed. It's a classic that speaks for itself. $2300"
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I love my Manley Ref mic and many times run it through my Langevin DVC pre ad I get magic
What else (pre/comp) have you compared the Lan with Glenn (Ref C)?
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyMountain View Post
...1974 Neumann U87. Just restored by a top Neumann mic tech. New K87 capsule and recap....
It has a ton more midrange, would prefer it anyday for a Ref. Cardoid, even if you´re using a coloured preamp.
Old 2nd February 2018
Quote:
What else (pre/comp) have you compared the Lan with Glenn (Ref C)?
Manley Voxbox, and Rupert Neve, both great with their own unique flavor.
Old 3rd February 2018
Gear Addict

OT: in the YouTube video of Amy singing into the Manley Reference Gold, does anyone recognize the SDC's on acoustic guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
As stated by others. I wouldn't reach for Manley if you want to bury someone.

Your enemy under those circumstances would be the M149 and the Manley.

I happen to love those mics, but they would be kryptonite for the purpose that you seek.

Amy Winehouse using the Manley Gold in Toronto at the Orange Lounge.

YouTube
Old 3rd February 2018
Someone suggested getting a mic with scooped mids to work around my nasally voice....anyone have an insight into what direction to look? And what about Lawson mics? I found a 47 for a great deal.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
OT: in the YouTube video of Amy singing into the Manley Reference Gold, does anyone recognize the SDC's on acoustic guitar?
I believe it's a neumann M582 with an M62 capsule..

Cheu
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyMountain View Post
Someone suggested getting a mic with scooped mids to work around my nasally voice....anyone have an insight into what direction to look? And what about Lawson mics? I found a 47 for a great deal.
You might try a Blue Kiwi.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search