The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1865 Modules Consoles
Old 16th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Neve 1865 Modules

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has info on the Neve 1865 Echo return modules with the b107 emitter follower sister board. Just got 4 of these things in, 2 with the b107 boards and 2 without. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1865 Modules-capture.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-capture1.jpg  
Old 16th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroegermusic View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has info on the Neve 1865 Echo return modules with the b107 emitter follower sister board. Just got 4 of these things in, 2 with the b107 boards and 2 without. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Hi

Rare as mermaid's tears and the first time I have seen the module, the PCB and the transformer.

I'm not sure what you want to do with them. The B107 is a beefed up B106 emitter follower as found in the BCM10 routing unit and 31099/31102 channel amps.

It would be easy to clone with so few components and any modern power transistor would work.

Emitter followers have a high input impedance and low output impedance and have slightly less than unity gain.

I think the transformers are 1366 that are input transformers with 1:1 ratio and 600ohm input impedance.

Old 17th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

Rare as mermaid's tears and the first time I have seen the module, the PCB and the transformer.

I'm not sure what you want to do with them. The B107 is a beefed up B106 emitter follower as found in the BCM10 routing unit and 31099/31102 channel amps.

It would be easy to clone with so few components and any modern power transistor would work.

Emitter followers have a high input impedance and low output impedance and have slightly less than unity gain.

I think the transformers are 1366 that are input transformers with 1:1 ratio and 600ohm input impedance.

Thanks for the response Geoff, ur the best. Is there any way I could do some heavy modding on the to make them into mic pres that utilize that transformer?
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the response Geoff, ur the best. Is there any way I could do some heavy modding on the to make them into mic pres that utilize that transformer?
Hi

No, I'm sorry..... they are very basic unity gain..... I'd buy a kit like AML or Seventh Circle instead.

That big transformer is an input transformer for 600ohms input impedance. You could use the frame, minus components to cobble up a pre.....

Last edited by Geoff_T; 18th December 2017 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi

No, I'm sorry..... they are very basic unity gain..... I'd buy a kit like AML or Seventh Circle instead.

That big transformer is an input transformer for 600ohms input impedance. You could use the frame, minus components to cobble up a pre.....
Thanks again for the info, so as they are, the best I could probably do is a line in/out deal. Anyways would you happen to know the pinout? sorry for all the questions. Ill shut up now :D
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks again for the info, so as they are, the best I could probably do is a line in/out deal. Anyways would you happen to know the pinout? sorry for all the questions. Ill shut up now :D
Hi kroegermusic

Please photograph those transformers close up

The pin out top end especially

Also, there should be some letters and numbers on the top or maybe one side?

Close up of those and also write here what you see

Check both the active and passive units to confirm that they are the same transformer

Steve Butterworth

PAST
Professional Audio System Technology
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Steve

If you look at the transformers closely, the wires come out of the lower part of the bobbin. There's no part number, even on the rear of the transformer.

Those modules used a 10 way edge connector like that used for the B107.

It would not be hard to follow the wires and trace out the circuit.

The Neve policy of inputs on low pin numbers and outputs with dc connections on the high pin numbers applies here.

Those modules are circa 1965.

Very rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAST View Post
Hi kroegermusic

Please photograph those transformers close up

The pin out top end especially

Also, there should be some letters and numbers on the top or maybe one side?

Close up of those and also write here what you see

Check both the active and passive units to confirm that they are the same transformer

Steve Butterworth

PAST
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Nut

They made really bad digital cameras in those days

The focus is off and the definition is bad enough on my 21st Century phone

Those PFL switches are great though

They look as if they could switch a high voltage nuclear power sub-station on and off

Had they split the atom then?

The switches and their writing is blurred too

Maybe they were just splitting the atom at the moment those photos were taken?

Or maybe the beer was just stronger in those days?

I don't recognise the make of those switches?

I think I was too busy being born or something

I am trying to think of a good use for 600R unity transformers

For sure they could be used but it would take some messin'

How about stone age echo returns?

They would sound great in a cave

Seriously though, it is interesting

I would imagine that the echo was tape, spring or plate in those days and the 600R loading a valve output stage or a long line from a chamber

Is this part of a larger thing, built into a broadcast studio or something?
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Some close up pics! Thanks for all the info guys, lets figure out what I should do with these things!!
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1865 Modules-img_0412.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-img_0413.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-img_0414.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-img_0415.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-img_0416.jpg  

Neve 1865 Modules-img_0418.jpg   Neve 1865 Modules-img_0372.jpg  
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

The photo showing the B107 must have a resistor missing.

There should be three resistors, two to bias the base of the transistor and one as the emitter load. The electrolytics are the input and output decoupling (the larger value = the output) while the small capacitor will be in parallel with the emitter load (I suspect).

So look closer at the bottom of the circuit to see if there are solder traces for the missing resistor....

Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hi

One of the great things about keeping in touch with original Neve folk is that, eventually, circuit information appears and the cloud of mystery is taken away from a Neve device.

Actually, I should also slap my own wrist for not noticing that the Marinair unit was not a transformer but a T1310 inductor.

My excuse being that they were normally used as a load for pre fade B283 pcbs and it's unusual to see it as a load with an emitter follower, albeit it would swing to marginally higher output levels.

Bottom line though, is none of these parts would be a much use as a mic pre!

Quote:
Hi

The photo showing the B107 must have a resistor missing.

There should be three resistors, two to bias the base of the transistor and one as the emitter load. The electrolytics are the input and output decoupling (the larger value = the output) while the small capacitor will be in parallel with the emitter load (I suspect).

So look closer at the bottom of the circuit to see if there are solder traces for the missing resistor....

Old 25th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Some close up pics! Thanks for all the info guys, lets figure out what I should do with these things!!
Why don't you build them back into a console like this, where they belong?

See them all along the front just above the faders

I hope that the rest of the console has not been stripped of eq's by vultures and sold?

Where is the console?

I hope that it has not been sold to aluminium scrap dealers

It will take someone considerable knowledge and skill to build something like this around just those modules and restore the modules to perfect condition if they have to find all the rest of the parts and build the console from scratch

Merry Christmas

Steve Butterworth

PAST
Attached Thumbnails
Neve 1865 Modules-img_20171225_115717.jpg  
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Maniac

I found a number on the top of the Marinair unit... 1467. Still have no idea what I'm going to do these, I'll just probably try to sell em. I wish I had the rest of the console Steve!!!
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I found a number on the top of the Marinair unit... 1467. Still have no idea what I'm going to do these, I'll just probably try to sell em. I wish I had the rest of the console Steve!!!
Please check that number

Are you sure that it is 1467 ?

Number 5 and number 6 can be easily mistaken

Check other transformers
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Nut

Please photograph the writing on the transformer showing the whole assembly
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Hi

My records, which are very limited, give T1447 and T1457 (the latter marked as 6dB gain) but no mention at all of T1467.

Old 10th February 2018
Gear Nut

Hummmmm

How many wires come out of the supposed transformer?

Only pins ACFJL are used on the Amphenol connector

That is not enough connections for a transformer

The Marinair wound component is likely being used as an inductor

The circuit should use a 1310 Inductor

It is still possible that a transformer was used as an inductor here so please photograph the Marinair part number and tell me how many wires come out of the Marinair
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search