The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daking 500 comp alternatives 500 Series Dynamics
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Daking 500 comp alternatives

I’m late to the daking party. From what I’ve heard in shoot outs and samples, they make awesome gear that I’d like to use as my primary sound, especially for drums.

I’d like to pick up a daking 500 compressor, or a pair eventually, but they aren’t made anymore. What would be the closest alternative? How does the dbx 560a compare?

I want to get into mixing OTB and I think having a daking pre eq and a 500 comp is a great way to go for a beginner to mix individual tracks OTB. I’d be mostly mixing drums, guitars, bass, vocals, and maybe some software sounds.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe neve 543
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

You might be able to find one used if you look around.

Other 500 utility comps that come to mind are the Xpressor, Great River, API 527...I'm sure there are others as well. I've got the Xpressor, and it is crazy flexible.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

+1 on the Xpressor. Crazy flexible. I bought it just for mono bass guitar, but it's wonderful on busses of all kinds. I also have an RND 5043 that is great. The 543 should be a nice alternative.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ve checked them out and they look great, but I was hoping for something a little more affordable.

Does anyone know how the JDK v12 compares? What about the purple action? The tk Audio bc501 seems worth it because it can also do stereo, but I’m really just getting into outboard compression and I’m not sure I’ll be needing that so soon. On that note, I’m also curious how the chameleon labs 7730 will sound.
Any insight?
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

The Purple Action is really great for grabby 1176 type compression. I like it on bass, BD and SD and vocals.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

I've got the TK501 and it is a great bus compressor. I've used it to good effect on other things but I can't recommend it as one's only tracking compressor.

If price is a big concern, look used first. Those DBX units are dirt cheap and are great for simple dynamic control while tracking. I haven't used the 500 versions, but I've used the rack ones and they are hard to mess up with.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

We are not far away from a FET2 closeout sale- January I expect? Around NAMM. Daking is building 50 more of these and may build another batch in a year or two after some redesign.

Brad
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
We are not far away from a FET2 closeout sale- January I expect? Around NAMM. Daking is building 50 more of these and may build another batch in a year or two after some redesign.

Brad
I’m interested in the fet II, but the release time starting at .5 sec seems weird for kick and snare. I haven’t seen that on others nor on software, so it put me off. Would the fet II be alright for faster, aggressive genres on kick and snare...and everything else with those release times?

Sorry if that’s an ultra bizarre question. I’m new to outboard.

Also, any chance Daking is working on a comp 500 mkII?
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Fill yer boots on FET 11!

One of my fave comps no questions asked!
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Fill yer boots on FET 11!

One of my fave comps no questions asked!
The release times are never a problem on faster genres?
Let me ask this, when do you not like the fet II and go for something else? What are those sources or genres?

I’ve only heard the small clip warhead posted to compare it to the fet III. The fet II is priced well and if it can do just about anything, I’d condiser it if t will fit in my gator shallow rack
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

I love it in kick and especially a kik mult as perceived slowness can help keep the note ring and often have something on another channel bring out the snap and another for the boom or mid range articulation if required.

Great on anything and is nearly up there w a distressor in terms of flexibility albeit with far better tone
Old 15th December 2017
Wes Mimas is fantastic full stop.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I’m interested in the fet II, but the release time starting at .5 sec seems weird for kick and snare. I haven’t seen that on others nor on software, so it put me off. Would the fet II be alright for faster, aggressive genres on kick and snare...and everything else with those release times?

Sorry if that’s an ultra bizarre question. I’m new to outboard.

Also, any chance Daking is working on a comp 500 mkII?
There has been discussion of a new compressor in 2018. SO the question is up market (a switched FET3?) or down (a rack mount Comp 500)? Both the Comp 500 and the FET3 are maybe priced too low for how they sound.

Brad
Old 21st December 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
You might be able to find one used if you look around.

Other 500 utility comps that come to mind are the Xpressor, Great River, API 527...I'm sure there are others as well. I've got the Xpressor, and it is crazy flexible.
i would also say add the BAC to that list.
i have all the above plus other and anyone would be a great choice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search