The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Gear makers - put the power switch on the front! Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
High End Gear makers - put the power switch on the front!

It makes no sense putting the power button on a piece of gear that is designed to be racked on the back where you can not get at it.

Pro means easy to use and easy to access.

The explanation is that the power switch goes on the back to prevent a noob from accidentally turning it off in a session while fiddling with knobs. But the real answer is that is was easier for the designer to fit the power switch on the back of the panel.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Guru

Sometimes the explanation is that you don't want high-voltage AC anywhere near your delicate audio.

On the Ampex ATR 102, one of the best tape machines ever made, the power switch is front and center, right where you'd want it. Take the top panel off the machine and you'll discover that the front "switch" is instead a "paddle" attached to a steel rod which runs toward the top rear of the machine and is hinged to another steel rod which runs down the back of the machine and ends in a small loop which is looped around the shaft of a hardware-store toggle switch. A total Rube Goldberg pigf**k. But if that front switch was an actual switch, you'd have house current 3 inches from the heads.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

"Pro" means you never turn it off.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post

It makes no sense putting the power button on a piece of gear that is designed to be racked on the back where you can not get at it.

The explanation is that the power switch goes on the back to prevent a noob from accidentally turning it off in a session while fiddling with knobs. But the real answer is that is was easier for the designer to fit the power switch on the back of the panel.
I'll add that ALL switches should be on the front. I had an Aurora GTQ2 that had an impeadiance switch, but it was on the back, so it never got used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sometimes the explanation is that you don't want high-voltage AC anywhere near your delicate audio.

On the Ampex ATR 102, one of the best tape machines ever made, the power switch is front and center, right where you'd want it. Take the top panel off the machine and you'll discover that the front "switch" is instead a "paddle" attached to a steel rod which runs toward the top rear of the machine and is hinged to another steel rod which runs down the back of the machine and ends in a small loop which is looped around the shaft of a hardware-store toggle switch. A total Rube Goldberg pigf**k. But if that front switch was an actual switch, you'd have house current 3 inches from the heads.
The Manley VoxBox power knob is on the front, but its connected to a shaft so the switch is actually at the back of the unit, I assume for similar reasons.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sometimes I'm just glad if gear has a power switch at all.
Old 12th December 2017
On pro gear, many power switches are part of the AC inlet/fuse connector. I'm assuming that these connectors are UL approved and are used for safety reasons.

It doesn't matter to me if the power switch is on the rear, except for recorders and digital reverbs/EFX that might need the occasional re-boot.

However, I can't stand any back-panel audio controls. I remember a Panasonic DAT recorder that had the 48K/44.1K switch on the back. Yeesh!
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

I don't have a single piece of outboard that is not connected to some type of power distribution system that is switched? Hasn't that been the studio norm for many decades? Dare I use the term, in professional setups?
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Powell View Post
On pro gear, many power switches are part of the AC inlet/fuse connector. I'm assuming that these connectors are UL approved and are used for safety reasons.

It doesn't matter to me if the power switch is on the rear, except for recorders and digital reverbs/EFX that might need the occasional re-boot.

However, I can't stand any back-panel audio controls. I remember a Panasonic DAT recorder that had the 48K/44.1K switch on the back. Yeesh!
That's terrible!
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgansound View Post
I don't have a single piece of outboard that is not connected to some type of power distribution system that is switched? Hasn't that been the studio norm for many decades? Dare I use the term, in professional setups?
Why have power switches at all on the actual unit if most pros use external power switches? LOL

No matter what, I want that power switch on the front, I'm tired of using an external switch. Love the long lever idea - thats in the Rupert Neve Master Buss Compressor.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Having the power switch in the back is better from an electrical point of view. But highly annoying for an end user. It's rack gear, you should be able to operate it from the front.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

They should be where it's on the BA6A lol.
Old 13th December 2017
I agree with this. I haven't turned off my mixcubes since I owned them due to the power switch being on the back.
Old 14th December 2017
SEED78
love this thread - totally needs to be on/off switches on front of units, if my Fearn and Mercury have them why not my other gear??
Old 14th December 2017
Ummm, some gear uses external power supplies??

If so, you won't see a power switch until the manufacturers of power modules provides a logic level signal line to their output cables allowing us to remotely start the supply. And they will need to provide a mains relay to disconnect the utility power as well. Then they will need a "phantom" power source for the switch and relays. It gets crazy fast! And expect a price increase for that convenience.

If the gear has an internal supply, a switch is easy.
Personally, I will take the isolation any day.
Old 14th December 2017
Here for the gear

Power Sequencer have always been my friend. However I've never understood why Furman does not make a Rack Mount Power Supply with front-panel power switches. Truth be told for my portable rig I ended buying the ADJ SC-8 II System just for that.
Old 17th December 2017
What's worse is how Manley puts the 48v switch of the SLAM and 16x2 on the. Still don't get the logic behind that.
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

As much as I love my avocet.. Dave Hill pls explain why it’s power switch is in the rear?
Old 17th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
What's worse is how Manley puts the 48v switch of the SLAM and 16x2 on the. Still don't get the logic behind that.
Maybe they are subconcously pursuading you to use a tube mic with it. Lol.
Old 21st December 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post

I prefer they be on the back!
Get a power distribution switch system for your rack.
Done simple sweet!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search