The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8351 w/ UA Apollo 8P
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Head

Genelec 8351 w/ UA Apollo 8P

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase some Genelec 8351's but I noticed that my two UA Apollo 8P's don't have s/pdif out- only ADAT. I'm looking to set up the Genelecs with an AES digital input rather than an analog one.

How could I make this happen with the Apollo 8P? I heard I can get an RME ADI-4 DD to make the transfer, but that seems to be an expensive option. Any other ways I can make a digital connection that won't break the bank?

Also, is the trouble of going digital with the Genelecs a worthwhile investment?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Switch the Output to S/PDIF (input is pointed to here) for "digital output" (you will lose ADAT ability of 8 channels in exchange to going to the AES3 compatible S/PDIF format),

plug the "ADAT Out" (now operating as S/PDIF) with a toslink optical cable to a HOSA ODL 312 (which are rock solid and built like tanks)

Hosa ODL312 | Sweetwater

I've been told the ODL312 is discontinued so I don't know why Sweetwater is still advertising them. I'd get one off of ebay anyway (they show up all the time and are really hard to damage.) This will give you AES3.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Head

This is very helpful! Thank you very much. I didn't know you could set the apollo up like that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search