The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Narrow q 500 series eq 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 9th December 2017
Narrow q 500 series eq

Hey Fellow amigos!
Looking for a specific 500 series eq. Preferably clean as i've got lots of color pieces already. Looking for a 500 series eq w a narrow sweepable q capable of either super narrow or wider.... Was looking into either the Kush electra - harrison eq or ssl 611? Are they capable of super narrow q at high boosts? Any adjustable q 500 series eq too?

BTW the eq HAS TO HAVE sweepable low/hi mids

Thanks for your help!
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Of the three you mentioned only the SSL gets super narrow, I would look at the Speck ASC-V as well, a bit similar to the SSL. I've owned the electras and still own the 32eq, both are good solid EQs but neither go super narrow
Old 9th December 2017
Thanx for the reply!! :o) Its for some percussive instruments that ive got to boost super narrow q freq. is the speck clean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansound View Post
Of the three you mentioned only the SSL gets super narrow, I would look at the Speck ASC-V as well, a bit similar to the SSL. I've owned the electras and still own the 32eq, both are good solid EQs but neither go super narrow
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Yes the speck is clean, very similar to SSL, I haven't tried the ASC-V yet but used to own the half rackspace ASC and they are supposed to be almost the exact same
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear
Rtz Peq 1549
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear
Zaehl EQ1

Quite simply stunning EQ, one of the only analog EQs I’ve found that can get plug in surgical, whilst still sounding like only top-notch analogue can.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Addict

Our original Valley Maxi-Q's go very narrow but I don't think they are available in a 500 Series.
PMI Audio bought the Valley name and IP and did release the Dynamite as a 500 Series but no other products AFAIK.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Head
Perhaps the Total Audio Control EQ One. Haven't used it myself and there is little info about it out there, but it seems to have what you're looking for. I am pretty tempted to buy a kit to put one together...

Inward Connections The Brat is another option.
Old 9th December 2017
Some good option guys! From what was said can the ssl get pretty surgical? What I like abt the ssl option is that, we’ll- it’s an ssl and I can use it for much more than just my surgical and narrow boosts. Is it as surgical as the speck eq mentioned?
Old 9th December 2017
Wow looks awesome! Unfortunately I only have one slot available :( is this dual mono?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post
Zaehl EQ1

Quite simply stunning EQ, one of the only analog EQs I’ve found that can get plug in surgical, whilst still sounding like only top-notch analogue can.
Old 9th December 2017
From what I see the brat has fixed freq points? Or am I wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit View Post
Perhaps the Total Audio Control EQ One. Haven't used it myself and there is little info about it out there, but it seems to have what you're looking for. I am pretty tempted to buy a kit to put one together...

Inward Connections The Brat is another option.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
From what I see the brat has fixed freq points? Or am I wrong?
The descriptions say sweepable, although the pots have 41 detents. So depends on how you feel about those detents I guess.
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm assuming you need hardware specifically as plugs are pretty good at clean surgical EQ . . .

You have some 500 series options above but why not save the 500 slot for something more special? If you don't mind a 2 rack space hardware unit, look up info on the Klark Teknik DN-410 and Meyer CP-10. Both are around $300 used price, both are 2 channel - 5 band full parametric which you can combine into a single channel 10 band full parametric, both have additional pass filters, both are clean. These units went for over $2k new. So basically you will get more of the EQ you are looking for without the limited control space of the 500 format (you can only fit so many knobs / switches per square inch of panel space), for less money with an additional channel too. There is also an old Urei notch filter unit (forget the model number) with three bands but that is more money with less flexibility but likely has the narrowest Q setting.

The money still in your pocket then can go to a more special 500 series unit.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Although somewhat limited, the DBX 530 has very neat a 40db cut notch filter function that allows you to sweep the frequencies and is a great surgical tool for getting rid of nasty freq issues - ringin on snares / toms etc. Just set the gain on the band to 0 and it hits a clickable detent that changes to use this notch mode. Awesome!

Limitation being it's cut only, and fixed at -40db, but it's a really nice function.

It's a really great workhorse EQ - not a mojo piece, but great for tracking and works really well. I've got two and need more!
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Nut

Have you considered the API 565 in you search?
Old 12th December 2017
LOOKS cool but I would need to boost :( Thanx for the help though
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Although somewhat limited, the DBX 530 has very neat a 40db cut notch filter function that allows you to sweep the frequencies and is a great surgical tool for getting rid of nasty freq issues - ringin on snares / toms etc. Just set the gain on the band to 0 and it hits a clickable detent that changes to use this notch mode. Awesome!

Limitation being it's cut only, and fixed at -40db, but it's a really nice function.

It's a really great workhorse EQ - not a mojo piece, but great for tracking and works really well. I've got two and need more!
Old 12th December 2017
Hmmm haven’t check it out, will do. But that’s a pretty coloured like all API gear I’m assuming? Looking for something clean let me check up on the API...

Edit- just looked it up and it’s only a notch eq and filter. Can anyone tell me how narrow the ssl can go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansonic View Post
Have you considered the API 565 in you search?
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Nut

Inward Connections Brat for surgical and narrow (adjustable) EQ. Have two, love them.
Old 13th December 2017
Thanx for the tip! Are they clean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle View Post
Inward Connections Brat for surgical and narrow (adjustable) EQ. Have two, love them.
Old 13th December 2017
GSF
Gear Addict
clean.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
is this dual mono?
No it’s true stereo - a single set of controls for both channels.

Misunderstood as a mastering thing. It’s a wonderful mix EQ as well.
Old 17th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanx for the tip! Are they clean?
Yes I'd call them clean. Not sure what other EQ needs you have but they are also the only 500 series eq I could find with adjustable q on all bands + low\high pass filter capability. They're basically like swiss army knives.
Old 19th December 2017
I really like the Electra's, but it's a proportional Q, so if you just wanna boost/cut a lil the Q would still be fairly wide... but sweet.

Also, I've never used it but there is a plugin of it, can test drive it and how it would work...
Old 19th December 2017
GREAT idea! Will test the plugin tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
I really like the Electra's, but it's a proportional Q, so if you just wanna boost/cut a lil the Q would still be fairly wide... but sweet.

Also, I've never used it but there is a plugin of it, can test drive it and how it would work...
Old 20th December 2017
500 series nutjob

There are a number of EQ's I could and would recommend, but if I understand what you are asking for you have narrowed the list to just a few.
Of those I would strongly suggest the Great River Harrison 32 eq.
I have a number of Eq's the these get used for a lot of things as well as buss work from time to time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search