The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
distroted guitar EQ
Old 20th October 2002
High End Moderator

distroted guitar EQ

What do you guys like to use on distorted guitar (after the mic pre)?

The old UREI 530 9-band EQ is my fav. Even with all the faders flat it adds some cool tone to the track.
Old 20th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Re: distroted guitar EQ

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener

The old UREI 530 9-band EQ is my fav. Even with all the faders flat it adds some cool tone to the track.
Tracking or mixing? Usually I'll go with an 1176 (either UA or Purple), unless I'm using the UA 2108, when I'll usually go with a Trakker or (Look out!) a Peavey VCL-2, which is a fine compressor despite the reputation of the manufacturer. I'm not even hesitant to use the Peavey on lead vocals...

Mixing, I'll reverse that, so that the Trakker's are the first choice (on the first two channels of guitar) and then the 1176's.
Old 20th October 2002
Lives for gear

Neve 1099
GML 8200
Neumann W495
Helios

not in that order but whatever works.
sometimes I'll use the neve or helios f to boost any mids and the GML or Neumann for any surgical cutting.

I LOVE THE MIDS FROM THE HELIOS!!!
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Addict

In a mix, if I need to tame the high end on a guitar track, I'll send it through my Summit TPA-200 preamp to darken/thicken a bit. Other than that, it's the channel eq on the board (D&R Dayner) which is useful but not all that sexy.

- jon
Old 20th October 2002
One with big hooves

I usually use the Dakings for electric guitar EQ. API 550s are another good choice and I wish I had some around. It's way too easy to EQ guitar sounds and make them sound really bad. Usually my favorite EQ is the one on the amp, followed by the mic.
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Maniac

worked great a lot of times :
that pretty cheap TL Audio EQ1 for adding "dirt"

... but my favourite box for fat guitars is definetly a Tele V76.
It`s great for tracking but even more impressive what it does just running the guitar through in the mix.

P.S.: Try a Gefell MV691 with the UM70 capsule in combination with a SM57 on the cabinet. Make shure the Gefell is the one wih the "Tonaderspeisung ( 12V ) " and not the modified 49V version.
Bring them up on 2 channels, reverse the phase on one channel and let your assitant move on mic, untill you can hardly hear anything. Then put then in phase again and .......
Old 21st October 2002
High End Moderator

That's it! The V76 has been on my wish list for a while, now I'm getting one. any ideas where? anything to watch out for?

clipgod how is Cologne? I grew up around there
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by clipgod
reverse the phase on one channel and let your assitant move on mic, untill you can hardly hear anything. Then put then in phase again and .......
time to try the Littlelabs IBP.. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these boxes!
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Addict
I don't really use any Eq's at all except maybe a high pass on the console during mixing. Usually its a 57 into a Great River Mp2 NV into a Fatso Jr. I will crank the input gain on the NV till it stays in the orange then hit the fatso to soften the highs a little. I dont use compression at all on dirt guitars. Then its off to a lucid 8824. Had an older 50 watt 800 with an SG in today and it sounded great.

-z-
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

Always searching for the ultimate guitar EQ. I kind of like the API 560 graphic. Used a GML but wasn't blown away. Trident EQ sounds good in the mix or the LTD-1 during tracking.

Even tried the 530 before with good results.
Old 21st October 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by drundall

Even tried the 530 before with good results.
Could it be that we were on the same session for that one ? heh heh heh
Old 22nd October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

Could it be that we were on the same session for that one ? heh heh heh
Well, the time I speak of I was mixing for a band that tracked everything themselves. The guitars sounded like And Justice for All coming out of a transistor radio, so I had to get a little crazy with the EQ...
Old 15th July 2004
Gear Head

Pultec EQP1-A
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

The only eq I like to do on crunchy guitar is subtractive. If I can't get real close to the sound I want going in, I'd rather change mics or guitars/amps until I'm there. Eq on guitars is a PITA IMO.
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's it! The V76 has been on my wish list for a while, now I'm getting one. any ideas where? anything to watch out for?

clipgod how is Cologne? I grew up around there
I think Mercury is developing an V76 clone that is supposed to be good stuff according to Dave Martin who tried out their V72 clone.

I like 1073's on guitars but I haven't gone through the masses of gear like some other posters.
Old 15th July 2004
Sometimes adding a little 110hz peak (and also a little less 220hz depending) can be nice. Mostly subtractive though...350-390 cycle peaking and 12k shelf. And I'm talking 1-2 dbs, anything more than that and it's back to the amp or mic selection. It really depends on the source, but after coming back to the same thing time and time again....
Old 15th July 2004
Re: distroted guitar EQ

Quote:

Can't really comment on the tracking part, but mixing wise i like the Urei 546 EQ.
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

I am really liking the EQ on the Chandler LTD-1 for guitar. There are quite a few more points than on a 1073... and I think they are chosen quite well.

I recently did some tracks with this path:

Supro Thunderbolt or Bogner 101b w Mesa 4 x 12 cab>Royer 121>Chandler TG-2>LTD-1(line input using just the EQ)>Distressor>Converters>Nuendo.....

WOW! I mean..... WOW!!!

The LTD-1 on it's own without the TG-2 is quite excellent as well. The TG-2 is a little more "mid" present.... and a VERY nice character. But the LTD-1 Pre is my 2nd favorite RIGHT after that for rock guitar....
Old 15th July 2004
Lives for gear

Crypticglobe,

Could you post a quick audio clip of the tracks that you recorded with this chain? I would love to hear them...
Old 16th July 2004
Gear Maniac

I usually just hipass at 80 hz on my Vintech X73i. That's enough usually. Maybe 160 if I'm using a Royer. In that case I might even consider a very slight boost at 12k. I almost never want to suck out any mids. It just doesn't sound right to me. If I'm using a 57 I might consider tring to get rid of some of the fizz around 6k, but for that I would use the Cambridge plugin from UA since I don't own any surgical type outboard eqs.
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

Im SO anxious to try my wunder when it arrives... i can imagine its gona get thrashed really hard on GTRS.. will let you know hopefully next week when it arrives

Wiggy
Old 16th July 2004
If I feel the sound is damn close but just needs a lick of eq - my first go to eq is a channel of a Focusrite 215. The narrow band EQ is great for lifting bite & I can taylor low end by self lift & or HP filter.

I find somehow the EQ in the Neve 1073 rotten for distorted gtr eq..

The eq in my Black Helios modules ARE wonderfull - but IMHO best on clean or 'retro' sounds.... besides the level my 4 operate at is lower than standard +4 operation - so they are kind of 'fragile'. The HF eq can add sharp 'cut' but is fixed and can't be tuned in. The mid eq sound although glorious, is sort of 'rounded' and smooth - it can add a wonderfull 'horn frequency' 'glide' to things... but it's usually cutting 'bite' that I want to add to dist gtr..

Gtr sound
UA1176 (sometimes)
Focustrite 215 (line in to use EQ only)
Fatso
Converter

My hack 2c

Howerver I am VERY interested to see 2 suggestions for graphic eq's - I havent used a hardware graphic for almost 2 decades - I always disliked them, finding the HF boost "tinty" & metallic. BUT that was then and perhaps a certain brand put me off. Recently, I am using quite a lot of the API & Neve graphic SOFTWARE plugins (URS) - So I should check out some hardware graphic's - the API ones appeal to me..

Graphic eq - revisited! Sounds like a new thread title to me!

Old 16th July 2004
More cowbell!

OMG, Jules is smoking dope again!

Old 16th July 2004
Motown legend

in the '70s I used to track to analog tape using a 6 dB shelf boost at 100 and 10k and a 6 dB mid boost at 3k 0r 5k using an API 550. The cabinet would typically be miked with 2 57s or a 57 and some dynamic omni mixed together.
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GearGuy
Crypticglobe,

Could you post a quick audio clip of the tracks that you recorded with this chain? I would love to hear them...
Hey Gear Guy... Already backed up to DVD and forwarded on to the client for mixing. However... I think this weekend I could load it back up and make a clip. Remind me via e-mail if I forget....
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

I would love it if you could make me a clip!

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

me too, me too... please
Old 16th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I

I find somehow the EQ in the Neve 1073 rotten for distorted gtr eq..

JUDAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO one of THE best bar none... jsut dont boost too muh or u get into boxy and phase territory.

Cheers
Wiggy..

PS.. im itiching to hear a helios.. cos that could be the second coming for me as far as EQ goes.
Old 17th July 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
in the '70s I used to track to analog tape using a 6 dB shelf boost at 100 and 10k and a 6 dB mid boost at 3k 0r 5k using an API 550.

A 6db boost @ 10k and 3-5k? Is that because of the eventual high end loss from the tape? Because if I did that now on any amp that I'm familiar with to digital, even with my darkest mic and preamp through Lavry's...it would be burn out city in a few hours.
Old 17th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
JUDAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO one of THE best bar none... jsut dont boost too muh or u get into boxy and phase territory.

Cheers
Wiggy..

PS.. im itiching to hear a helios.. cos that could be the second coming for me as far as EQ goes.
I've used rented 1073's that sounded bad on gtrs. They have to be well taken care of. Lovin' the Chandler LTD-1's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search