The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
distroted guitar EQ
Old 25th July 2004
Lives for gear

For electric guitars I like:
  • Pre: GR NV
    Compression: Joe Meek or 1176 or Distressor (depending.)
    EQ: 1073 (When I just need a touch) or TLA (when I need to carve and shape a lot).
    Mic: 57 (sometimes a 421 or 606)
Old 25th July 2004
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
A 6db boost @ 10k and 3-5k? Is that because of the eventual high end loss from the tape? Because if I did that now on any amp that I'm familiar with to digital, even with my darkest mic and preamp through Lavry's...it would be burn out city in a few hours.
DEFINITELY not happening in digital! :-)
Old 30th July 2004
Gear Addict

I like using API 560s for (all) guitars - not only because they shape the sound nicely, but also because graphic EQs have this visual thing to them. Plus on a ten band you have enough knobs to shape your sound the way you want it and keep your low end under control at the same time.
The other EQ I really like for distorted guitars is the Tube Tech ME something, you know, the mid EQ you hardly ever get to see anywhere. Very smooth and warm and gentle, especially if you have to record to digital.
Cheers,

Tom
Old 30th July 2004
Lives for gear
Helios Olympics sound great on electric guitar. These are kind of unusual in that you can boost everything and it sounds great.
That being said the API 550B, 560's are easy to use and sound great.
Old 30th July 2004
Gear Maniac

I like to pass the signal through a Fatso with just a hint of the "warm" feature. If the sound needs help on the bottom end, 2 dB of 100 Hz with an API 550A usually does the trick.

I really prefer to go light on EQ with distorted guitar and move the mic around instead to get the sound right.

I've been experimenting with the "fat" feature on the Spider a bit for guitar, and the tape emulation feature as well. I'm still getting aquainted with those features though.
Old 30th July 2004
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Agree with Brendan and Jay Kahrs about mic positioning ... plus amp head and cab, guitar pickup choice, mic & pre choice...

For e-gits at mixdown, I use the console EQ (SSL J series) more often than 1073s, Massive Passive, GML and Pultecs.

Cheers.
Old 31st July 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I usually use the Dakings for electric guitar EQ. API 550s are another good choice and I wish I had some around. It's way too easy to EQ guitar sounds and make them sound really bad. Usually my favorite EQ is the one on the amp, followed by the mic.
Can I just ditto myself since it's an old thread?
Old 31st July 2004
I'm doing something wrong 'cause when I track guitars I almost always hi-pass at 60hz and lo-pass at 10k.
Sometimes I need a little boost at 3/4k and that's it.
I almost use a SM 7 w/ the mid boost on or a 57 straight to the cone.
Old 4th August 2004
Gear Addict

Waves REQ 6 band. stike
Old 4th August 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reel Thing
I like using API 560s for (all) guitars - not only because they shape the sound nicely, but also because graphic EQs have this visual thing to them.
Bump for the good old 560!!!! I like a 1073 or similar Neve maybe boosting a couple db in the mids on the Neve (when I'm using a Royer R121) sent to the 560 for additional processing. I also like to set the gain one notch back from horrible sounding and back off on the output fader of the Neve rack prior to hitting the API. The Aurora GTQ2 eq is also good for this as it has a great mid band frequency (3.2k), which I would also then dump into a 560. Don't ask me what compressor I use, though. As always it depends on the guitar and cabinets used... But, this is what I ended up with when I tracked a Tele through a mystery amp mic'd with a 121...
Old 5th August 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
I'm doing something wrong 'cause when I track guitars I almost always hi-pass at 60hz and lo-pass at 10k.
Sometimes I need a little boost at 3/4k and that's it.
I almost use a SM 7 w/ the mid boost on or a 57 straight to the cone.
Hey man, sounds almost exactly like what I do. Except I'll often cut 3-4 k a little (maybe 2 db), and usually hi-pass anywhere from 100 to 600 (although that's an extreme usually reserved for little lead parts).

Edit: Just realized you said TRACK guitars. What I described was what I do in mix. My bad.
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

i'm not a new verse old snob but i like the old 560's way better then the new ones.
the old ones had the iron core transformers in them.
i dont know what it is, but hell, its definitely different.
Old 14th November 2007
Here for the gear

Why would anyone eq a distorted guitar before recording to tape etc? Move the mic, change the tone, change the amp or cab, change the guitar and maybe question the concept first. After you get the perfect sound it can only get better with those post recording tweaks.
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blank View Post
Why would anyone eq a distorted guitar before recording to tape etc? Move the mic, change the tone, change the amp or cab, change the guitar and maybe question the concept first. After you get the perfect sound it can only get better with those post recording tweaks.
No one thought of that?

Come on

In case you dont know....The guy who asked the question gets pretty good guitar sounds.

BTW...guys this is 3 year old thread. But I have to admit I've responded to threads even older not realizing it..haha
Old 14th November 2007
Here for the gear

Oops
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

usually a bogner amp ecstasy"classic",Shiva,duende,engl580 w/mesa 2/90 power amp
sen 609's
tg2
tone control's
germ compressor if needed
fatso just for the warmth function set at 3 max no compression with tranny
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

Siemens 295b. I just love it, the high end never gets shrill. Great for vocals, acoustic guitars and OHs too.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

The small black Telefunken W695 eq module from the 1970's is just awsome on distorted electric guitar tracks. The mid range presence control on these little German wonders is just killer for that application.

J. Mike Perkins myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 15th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
What do you guys like to use on distorted guitar (after the mic pre)?

The old UREI 530 9-band EQ is my fav. Even with all the faders flat it adds some cool tone to the track.
It depends. For Coarse cahnges teh Germanium Tone Control.

Lately I've eben expereimented with using really narrow Qs, and I go for the Lil Freq for that.
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

In response to jeronimo's post, I usually do the same thing. I nearlly always track with a hpf at 80hz (I think thats one of the points on the ltd -1) and then almost always as a rule in my daw just shelf at around 10k to get rid of fizz. My chain is Maton mastersound with duncan sh4 > 5150mk2 > sm57> Ltd-1> ua1176 > ua2192 > daw.

I have found that using the fastest attack and slowest release at 4:1 with about 3-4 db of gain reduction on the 1176 sounds really smooth. But then again I am pretty new to recording and in reality it probably sounds bumbum.

Cheers mate!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search