The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are PrismSound the best Converters? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut

Are PrismSound the best Converters?

I consider upgrading my RME Converters to PrismSound.
They sound much better than the RME!

But i never saw a Lavry, radar, mytek, burl audio, forssell, antelope, lynx etc. or even compared it to PrismSound.

So the Basic question is, i like the PrismSound very much but is there a even better converter?

I want at least 16 Channels better 24 Analoge Ins/Outs.

When Prism Sound i will Purchase this units:
ADA-8XR Home Page
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post

But i never saw a Lavry, radar, mytek, burl audio, forssell, antelope, lynx etc. or even compared it to PrismSound.

So the Basic question is, i like the PrismSound very much but is there a even better converter?

ADA-8XR Home Page
"Best" is entirely subjective when you are comparing equipment at the prism/lavry gold/burl level. All very good. All take a different approach and achieve a different thing. I prefer Burl in our tracking room but prism in our mastering room. Other people will prefer something different. This stuff is very subjective.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I prefer Burl in our tracking room but prism in our mastering room.
And why?

Quote:
Lavry, radar, mytek, burl audio, forssell, antelope, lynx
Are these all on the same level and are there even more?

I would compare them all but i guess it will be hard to get them all for a comparison bevor purchasing.
My Store where i often by equipment recommends burl so i guess he wants to sell these to make some profit. :D

So i guess i can get Burl and PrismSound for comparison but there are a lot more out there you can get.

Edit:

Maybe someone did some comparison and has some audio files he would like to share that i can listen to them.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

The weight of 16 channels of Lavry gold might be equivalent in cost to the same weight of actual gold bricks.

Does Prism play in the same league as Lavry gold? I am very curious about this because I have had a Lavry DA924 and I loved that unit, but needed to move on for various reasons and I now have a Crane Song Solaris on order.
Old 8th December 2017
I use Burl A/D and for tracking and Burl D/A for mixing/processing/summing outs. Monitor through a grace with D/A.

The A/D has those transformers that sound excellent to me. You might not like them if you like clean.

Burl D/A is clean as a whistle. I sum to a Chandler mini mixer or the DDA DMR12 depending on what I need.

You can’t really go wrong with anything you listed tho.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Nut

Lavrey Gold is only 1 or 2 channels i guess? I think this will be to pricey for 24 channels? Needs also a lot of room.
Such Stuff is great if you do Mastering only ^^ But want to do all with this units.

So maybe someone has Audio Examples?
Because as already said they all are good as it seems so it maybe really is up to what i like best.
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
And why?

Are these all on the same level and are there even more?

I would compare them all but i guess it will be hard to get them all for a comparison bevor purchasing.
My Store where i often by equipment recommends burl so i guess he wants to sell these to make some profit. :D

So i guess i can get Burl and PrismSound for comparison but there are a lot more out there you can get.

Edit:

Maybe someone did some comparison and has some audio files he would like to share that i can listen to them.
Because they sound very different. The Burls have big transformers on the AD. As a result their audio capture is big and deep and 3d. I disagree with the suggestion above that the DA is as 'clean as a whistle'. It is not nearly as transparent as the Prism. It is actually quite bright. The prisms are very clean and transparent indeed. They do nothing to the audio. Most others are somewhere between the two.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Because they sound very different. The Burls have big transformers on the AD. As a result their audio capture is big and deep and 3d. I disagree with the suggestion above that the DA is as 'clean as a whistle'. It is not nearly as transparent as the Prism. It is actually quite bright. The prisms are very clean and transparent indeed. They do nothing to the audio. Most others are somewhere between the two.
Thanks for that info. Do you have an opinion as to the Solaris compared to Burl and/or Prism?
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Nut

Can you might make a comparison between the Prism/Burl or does someone has Audio Files comparing any AD/DA in that price range?
But i think as i want to use the converters for ALL (so also Mastering) PrismSound would might be the best option?

I think coloration should also not come from the ADDA Converters but instead from other stuff as Instruments, Preamps, Mics, FX and maybe Plugins you put into them?
But i am not sure, never bought a converter for "coloring".
Old 9th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Thanks for that info. Do you have an opinion as to the Solaris compared to Burl and/or Prism?
Havent heard the solaris though I have (and use every day) the previous generation avocet and hedd. They are on the cleaner/more transparent end of the spectrum. I suspect the Solaris will be too.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think coloration should also not come from the ADDA Converters but instead from other stuff as Instruments, Preamps, Mics, FX and maybe Plugins you put into them?
good plan ... and if you really wanted some coloring from your conversion you could add 2-4 channels of something with that flavor !!!

and i say Dilly Dilly to you !!! if you can afford 24 channel of Prism ADA8XR .. you are a True Gearslut !!!
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Nut

if they would be cheap i would have already bought them but they arent really.
I will have a talk with my local "dealer" but i think the prismsound are really what i want, a high end ad/da that is not coloring.

I think 3 units will cost somewhere between 20000-30000$.

If there is somebody that does not believe that there is a huge difference between RME and PrismSound like i did bevor comparing them both do it, it will make you believe. but do not do this comparison on ns10s.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
if they would be cheap i would have already bought them but they arent really.
I will have a talk with my local "dealer" but i think the prismsound are really what i want, a high end ad/da that is not coloring.
I use 24ch DA of Prism ADA-8 routed to my analog console. The DA section can sound quite brutal (in a revealing sense) at times. It is crap in = crap out.
If you record though the Prism AD, what comes out of the DA sounds exactly like what you put in. The chain is amazingly transparent. If you record something beautiful it will playback as beautiful. This is not a small feat for converters.

If you are going to spend that amount of money on converters, I strongly recommend to shootout the Prisms along some alternatives (DAD, Merging, etc.) in your own working environment. And take ample time to do so.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Addict

If you're needing 24-channels of converters .. check out the Metric Halo ULN8 series.

I have the ULN8 and the Larvy Gold in our mastering suite. . . I did 1/100th db level-matched AD captures between the ULN8 and Larvy Gold (clipping the converters of each)... same playback source (ULN8) same clocking (Gold).

I could hear a very slight difference ... The extension on the Larvy was a bit better, but the bass on the ULN8 was IMO nicer ..

I had my girlfriend listen to the two files back and forth ... she couldn't hear a single difference AT ALL. She's a musican/singer, not an engineer. soo doesn't have the training and practice in that style of listening .... but, is it worth the extra $8k?

for 24-tracks, get 3x ULN8s for $9,000 ... or or spend $96,000 on 12x Larvys, and still have to get 24-channels of DA as well.
Old 19th March 2018
Here for the gear
Hi ,

If someone is interested I did comparison between burl, prism sound and lynx converters.

PM for sound files.

Prism sound brought the best clarity and liveness in the song.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Here I use Prism Titan with excellent results. High detail, high pleasant-ness conversion.

Recently I have gotten hot on Acousence Arfi-adc2 converters. 2 channel, ultimate sound.

German made Acousence may be the best ever. Check them out from

arfi-adc2 - ad converter
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerd View Post
If you are going to spend that amount of money on converters, I strongly recommend to shootout the Prisms along some alternatives (DAD, Merging, etc.) in your own working environment. And take ample time to do so.
This !

Only know Prism by reputation, but definitely check out these additional suggestions, swear by both depending on your purpose.

If you are retaining your analogue gear, DAD AX32 (Line-in without the preamp) ideally fits the purpose you are describing.

If cost is an issue, Mytek 8x192 is a great unit, will be an improvement over RME, but not quite in the league of these three.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

ADA-8XR Home Page

Take this with a grain of salt, but we might buy 3 to 7 more Titans to run via Digilink (PCIE) for the Neve Genesys console we're looking at (depends on the channel count/layout we ultimately choose).

I love the Mytek 8x192, but it didn't win out in terms of net gains/musicality in a loopback test Vs. the Titan, Even though I prefer the feature set for the 8x192 Vs the Titan (I don't need the preamps and would much have the internal summing and stepped monitor knob, and the extra dedicated monitoring outputs, etc. As well as the extra MDIO card slots and cards available).

The Mytek is fantastic though. A very close second place in my book. SPL Madison is extremely close to the Mytek too for the money if you need high track counts via MADI.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Prism titan is in regular use here via digilink to pro tools hdx. It is a fabulous system with first rate sound. Titan replaced a native prism Orpheus rig.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

In all honesty, if you have money like that I would contact Val from Qes and ask him to make you a custom 8 channel converter. Dude makes the most transparent 2 channel converter a lot of people on here ever heard. Its as close as 1:1 as i think you can find if thats what you are looking for.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

The Situation has a bit changed and i think about 48 Channel Analog I/O.
Dont know if this is even possible with the ADA-8XR and if, it will be to expensive.

I read very good things about the SSL Alpha Link MADI SX and think about getting it but not shure if its an improvement over RME and if i could use it for Mastering.
Would need 2 Units and RME HDSPe Madi FX (because i want the TotalMix Software).

But would be very cheap, unter 10000$.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

No. The Alpha Link is not better than RME converters. It’s actually good for functionality but nothing to write home about. If you want mid-budget MADI converters, look to the SPL Madison. One step below, look at Antelope Orion/Goliath. But RME’s UFX+ converters are comparable.

The Alpha Link is still just a rebranded Soundscape iBox (company SSL bought years ago and has done no improvements). Motherboards for the Alpha used to still be branded iBox.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

I have the SSL Alphalink Madi.
It's good, not "transparent" but pretty clear, they are fine for tracking, if I'm after the best sound I go to tape, I only feel the need for better converters when i'm capturing the mix or mastering.

I'm looking at the Korg MR2000 for that. Seems like a reasonable price and i would be interested to give DSD a try.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscutred View Post
Seems like a reasonable price and i would be interested to give DSD a try.
Do you work with direct to disc recording or archival? You can’t mix/edit DSD — at that point it has to go back to PCM. It’s a major change in workflow to go to DSD.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Do you work with direct to disc recording or archival? You can’t mix/edit DSD — at that point it has to go back to PCM. It’s a major change in workflow to go to DSD.
I would be using DSD for simply capturing mixes, I don't need to do anything but top and tail at that point, I hear good things about it but haven't tried it.

I understand the PCM capture on the Korg MR2000 is good too, so I wouldn't necessarily use DSD, it would depend on the project.

I need something that can capture mixes well and isn't clocked to the DAW, I usually want to capture mixes at 96, but running multitracks at 96 is a big drain on resources, both processing and disk space. Again if I want the best quality I just use tape.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Here I use Prism Titan with excellent results. High detail, high pleasant-ness conversion.
I wonder if Prism Sound is going to announce new converters soon. They did a big sale promotion this summer and some shops (e.g. Thomann) don't have any units in stock anymore.

Hmmm...
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Nut

Would it even be possible to use 48 Channels of AD/DA with Prism Sound Converters combined with an RME HDSPe PCIe Card?
But even if, its 60000$.

Alternatives to SSL that would also be usable for Mastering that would work with RME Interface?
Would like to avoid using different converters for each job.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Pros seem to make excellent sounding records with avids, symphonies and aurroras

Capturing the 2bus is where the money should go imo.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Situation has a bit changed and i think about 48 Channel Analog I/O.
Dont know if this is even possible with the ADA-8XR and if, it will be to expensive.

I read very good things about the SSL Alpha Link MADI SX and think about getting it but not shure if its an improvement over RME and if i could use it for Mastering.
Would need 2 Units and RME HDSPe Madi FX (because i want the TotalMix Software).

But would be very cheap, unter 10000$.
Titan via Digilink to PCIE beat out the ADA-8xr in our loopback test (it wasn't subtle). They both beat out Orpheus. Titan was the clear winner and had the best qualities of the other two prism offerings while feeling more musical with no audio degradation after loopback.

If you're not going with PTHD then an RME MADI FX is a good bet all with SPL Madisons for larger track counts before you get into more expensive solutions like IZ ADA II with Classic 96 converters.

The Madison is VERY close in sound/image to the 8x192...and if you get a single Mytek to clock off of basically identical.

But Titan so far is top tier in terms of sheer musicality Vs transparency in my experience.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
Titan via Digilink to PCIE beat out the ADA-8xr in our loopback test (it wasn't subtle). They both beat out Orpheus. Titan was the clear winner and had the best qualities of the other two prism offerings while feeling more musical with no audio degradation after loopback.

If you're not going with PTHD then an RME MADI FX is a good bet all with SPL Madisons for larger track counts before you get into more expensive solutions like IZ ADA II with Classic 96 converters.

The Madison is VERY close in sound/image to the 8x192...and if you get a single Mytek to clock off of basically identical.

But Titan so far is top tier in terms of sheer musicality Vs transparency in my experience.
You keep pushing this Titan and ur making me curious, shame on you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search