The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are PrismSound the best Converters? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
You keep pushing this Titan and ur making me curious, shame on you.
For what? I am not affiliated with any dealer. And I'm not endorsed by Prism. I even waited for Black Friday to purchase mine because my budget was smaller at the time.

This ain't my first rodeo and I'm not a new account trolling you. I've been on this forum for over a decade.

The Titan is currently at the top from my experience. And yes I've tried most of what's out there..but I can also rely on ears I trust to make a logic leap or two when it comes to the scant other choices on the market I haven't mucked about with yet.

For the record I wish the Mytek 8x192 had won. Again the feature set is better.

So what exactly am I doing which is so shameful here besides being candid?

Also...I advised going for multiple Madison units with the RME MADI FX (because the SPL is cost effective, and the MADI FX is the best MADI interface in terms of large track counts at 96kHz and above...even over the AVID MADI which I forgot to mention, and because the Madison is close to the 8x192 in quality/clocks favorably from an 8x192 at a great price Vs performance even with multiple units factored in).

Do I work for Mytek, RME, or SPL now? If so are my checks in the mail?

Last edited by herecomesyourman; 20th March 2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso View Post
I wonder if Prism Sound is going to announce new converters soon.
ADA-8XR still has a great reputation, but if Prism wants to compete at the very top with DAD and Merging, they may need to consider an updated design along with featuring 48 ch in one unit as the AX32 and Horus.

It's been suggested to the OP a couple of times, but perhaps channel count needed to be spelled out !
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcskier View Post
has a great reputation, but if Prism wants to compete at the very top with DAD and Merging, they may need to consider an updated design featuring 48 ch in one unit as the AX32 and Horus.

It's been suggested to the OP a couple of times, but perhaps channel count needed to be spelled out !
I think you are along the right lines. I wish they had an 8 channel version with some of the extra features the 8x192 had, including an extra monitor out and internal summing...and an extra MDIO slot for AES/MADI/etc. all.

I also wish they had 16/16 I/O with either MADI or Digilink...so larger track counts in 8's/16's could be put together simply. I'm not sure they need a slotted system like a Burl Mothership though.

However I see no reason for an ADA-8xr...not when the Titan/Atlas are simply more cost effective and musical on a loopback. The ADA-8xr might be a tad more neutral...but the Titan's imaging is superior/more musical in my opinion without losing anything critical/clinical.

Last edited by herecomesyourman; 20th March 2018 at 07:06 PM..
Old 20th March 2018
Quote:
I wonder if Prism Sound is going to announce new converters soon. They did a big sale promotion this summer and some shops (e.g. Thomann) don't have any units in stock anymore.

Hmmm...
Wrong !

Thomann has the Prism Sound Atlas in stock.
Since years....

R.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
For what? I am not affiliated with any dealer. And I'm not endorsed by Prism. I even waited for Black Friday to purchase mine because my budget was smaller at the time.

This ain't my first rodeo and I'm not a new account trolling you. I've been on this forum for over a decade.

The Titan is currently at the top from my experience. And yes I've tried most of what's out there..but I can also rely on ears I trust to make a logic leap or two when it comes to the scant other choices on the market I haven't mucked about with yet.

For the record I wish the Mytek 8x192 had won. Again the feature set is better.

So what exactly am I doing which is so shameful here besides being candid?

Also...I advised going for multiple Madison units with the RME MADI FX (because the SPL is cost effective, and the MADI FX is the best MADI interface in terms of large track counts at 96kHz and above...even over the AVID MADI which I forgot to mention, and because the Madison is close to the 8x192 in quality/clocks favorably from an 8x192 at a great price Vs performance even with multiple units factored in).

Do I work for Mytek, RME, or SPL now? If so are my checks in the mail?
Yeah you took that one all wrong lol. I meant shame on you cuz now i wanna hear them in my space and see how they sound
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
I wonder if Prism Sound is going to announce new converters soon. They did a big sale promotion this summer and some shops (e.g. Thomann) don't have any units in stock anymore.

Hmmm...
This would be awesome. The only issue I have with my ADA-8XR is I want more channels of it!
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone compared ADA-8XR with ULN8?
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

I had an Orpheus for years and it was always good, sometimes sterile to me. I bought it because it was the "best" at the time. I switched to an Apollo and really didn't notice much difference. I felt like the UAD was as good. The headphone output was obviously nicer on the Orpheus though. Overtime I feel like converters are the least bang for the buck and I don't worry about them. Once you get up to the $2000 range the returns are so small beyond that value, versus cost. You can make quality recordings on most interfaces today.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Recently I have gotten hot on Acousence Arfi-adc2 converters. 2 channel, ultimate sound.

German made Acousence may be the best ever.
It is now available with new form factor. The former was 9.5" with external PSU.
Now it is 19" with internal PSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Are PrismSound the best Converters?-adc2_side-small.jpg   Are PrismSound the best Converters?-dac2-side-small.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

WOW-very nice Roland.

I will contact you.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Ive used apollo , antelope zen studio,prism lyra .own a fireface rme .all really good but the prism was clearly better than them all.
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Had an Orpheus for several years and it sounded amazing to me. The drivers and latency were the weak spots. Also when connecting extra d/a to the adat there was additional fixed latency (which seemed noticeable)...since then I have had two units including an antelope Orion, which had poor perfomance over usb in my setup (latency once again an issue)...currently using an apogee ensemble thunderbolt with a lucid 8 channel expansion via ADAT, and all seems to work and sound very well. No complaints.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear
Without MADI option I would not even consider Prism. And is not ADA-8XR very old now?
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Without MADI option I would not even consider Prism. And is not ADA-8XR very old now?
madi needed here as well - i have euphonix and studer converters, prefer them both over prism
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

I was using an Orpheus for a number of years and had a lot of problems with ASIO driver with PC. Even adjusting the buffer, often there would be little pops and clicks that I would have to manually edit out of the waveform. Once in a while I would record a track that sounded like it had been sample rate reduced to 10khz, unusable digital distortion and aliasing. I had to throw away one good rack tom track because of these, and redo a handful of good takes over the years.

It did however, sound very good when it was working.

I think in conversion, there are generally a number of dimensions to sound quality that people conflate. A balanced, linear frequency spectrum, overall lack of coloration, lack of digital graininess, detail, three dimensional depth, and low end feel. The Orpheus is excellent with first two: you won't hear any significant deviation from the input in terms of linearity and flat frequency response. Coloration is distinct, but minor, with little distortion. It is pretty good with digital artifacts (compared to older converters like the Digital 192), but not the best. It's the last three that I think newer converters do much better. There are newer converters that capture finer detail (Horus, Mytek Brooklyn, QES), capture a more three dimensional sound stage (Brooklyn, Horus, QES, JCF), and have a deeper and more pleasing low frequency response (Burl, Latte, JCF). The Orpheus gets the overall picture very accurately, but it isn't the most high resolution or lifelike of the converters out there.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder why all the "new" prism converters have TRS connectors instead of XLRs. Also no AES/EBU... I get that with Orpheus somehow because of 1U. But the bigger models... something like Titan without pres, fully XLR, AES/EBU (at least optional expansion card thing). That would be nice.

About Mytek 8x192 and Madison. Not really close in sound in my experience. Mytek has superior detail, but feels a bit light in the bass. Madison is fuller sounding in very useful but non-special way. SPL to me is just another convertor that you can "set and forget". Mytek is something I'd prefer for some delicate acoustic music and some (loopback) processing.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

I would not describe the mytek as light in the bass. Quite the opposite. Punchy and full but in a controlled and precise way. Definitely more bass than my RME UFX. Never heard the Madison though
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Here I use Prism Titan with excellent results. High detail, high pleasant-ness conversion.

Recently I have gotten hot on Acousence Arfi-adc2 converters. 2 channel, ultimate sound.

German made Acousence may be the best ever. Check them out from

arfi-adc2 - ad converter
The Acousence converters are also available in a mainframe for high channel counts. You could certainly also discuss custom options. MADI etc. should all be possible. And the price is considerably reasonable (at least compared to some prices mentioned in this thread - high channel counts in high end tends to get rather expensive anyway). There is a card card that includes mic preamps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search