The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann UMS69i Stereo Mic pin map Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Neumann UMS69i Stereo Mic pin map

Hello,
I seem to be able to purchase a Neumann USM69 (the one with the yellow and red polar switches on the body), but it seems to come without cables.

I wonder if I could produce the 5pin XLR to 2x3pin XLR connectors by myself (basic soldering abilities) but I can't seem to find a pin map (or however you call that pin plan) for that microphone?

Anybody here can help?

Many thanks!
Robert
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

my cousin gave me one to sell but the tuchel was broken..i paid stupid money for a used connector..[for what 3rd party shills the conector for ummmm] ... found out you can still get the whole connectors/cable from Neumann for a cheap price..

in decent condition it's a 10k mic..i'd buy a NOS cable..check around and you'll see the connector alone price ..awesome mic good luck
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for your response. It seems to be a newer model that uses a 5pin XLR to split into two mono 3pin XLR...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post

I wonder if I could produce the 5pin XLR to 2x3pin XLR connectors by myself (basic soldering abilities) but I can't seem to find a pin map (or however you call that pin plan) for that microphone?

Here is the pin-out for USM 69:

Pin #1 = Audio (+) system #1
Pin #2 = Audio (-) system #1

Pin #3 = Ground/Shield

Pin #4 = Audio (-) system #2
Pin #5 = Audio (+) system #2

And here is the pin-out for USM69i:

Pin #1: Ground/Shield

Pin #2: Audio (+) system #1
Pin #3: Audio (-) system #1

Pin #4: Audio (+) system #2
Pin #5: Audio (-) system #2

Last edited by Klaus; 5 days ago at 09:11 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

This is, what I found on an official Neumann documentation:
http://www.neumann.com/download.php?...d=copi0112.PDF

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understand Pin 1 to be the ground and shield.

"System I:
Lower capsule (not rotable). The axis of maximum sensitivity is indicated by the Neumann emblem. Yellow (lower) directional pattern selector. Mod- ulation connects to pins 2 (+) and 3.

System II:
Upper capsule (rotatable). The axis of maximum sensitivity is indicated by an embossed dot on the lower rim of the upper capsule cage. Red (upper) directional pattern selector. Modulation connects topins4(+)and5.

A sudden rise in sound pressure in front of the front membrane causes a positive voltage to appear at the pins marked (+). Pin 1: 0 V and shield."
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Hello Rojaros,
Microphone pin-outs sometimes follow a different protocol, depending on whether the mics are for domestic or export sale.

You specifically requested pin-outs for the USM69, which I correctly described, as per schematic 90102.

The same schematic also gives pin-outs for the USM69i (export version) which I have now added to my post above.

Please make sure you correctly identify your model before you start wiring up your cable connections.

Last edited by Klaus; 5 days ago at 09:31 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

So it seems I basically need to find out where the ground pin is. I should be able to do so by checking the connection between the pins (1 or 3) and the housing. Is that reasoning correct?
Thanks again!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Correct.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Many thanks! The mic is supposed to come today. I have both type of cables (Cascade x-15 seems to be like you described first, and Royer SF-12 is the other variant).

So I'll check which pin the ground is connected with the housing and then I should be safe to try the mic.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Today the mic arrived and it turned out to be in an almost unused condition. The Royer SF-12 Kabel worked alright, so even it doesn't have the "i" in its name it has the same pin assignment; Ground/Shield to Pin 1

According to Neumann the mic is built in 1986 but it looks almost untouched... Works flawlessly! Thanks for support!
Old 4 days ago
Cool mic! I had one years ago, awesome on overheads (when it not distort), very nice on acoustic guitar

I miss how easy it was to place, I found some old video where it's featured

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

@ cyjanopan Cool music, very interesting sound ... also the drumkit is extraordinary ... thanks!
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search