The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H3000 transformer buzz Analog Processors (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Eventide H3000 transformer buzz

I have a Eventide H3000 that I just got today. When I first plugged it in there was this huge buzz and the case was rattling. I opened it up and got most of the case rattling gone. There is still a pretty big buzz from the center of the transformer. I see a lot of threads here on GS about this. I guess it is even worse on 220/240v than here in the states on 110/120. My control room is dead quite. All my gear with fans are in my machine room. So this buzz needs to go away. Dave Kulka works on these and so does Jim Williams. They are both about a hour drive away from me so I do not need to ship the unit.

Is this as simple as needing a new transformer? I hear a lot of you guys saying yes and a lot saying this is just the Eventide made them. Some say you need and external power supply. So, i really do not know. I really do not want to spend $400 and still have a hum. So, i am not really sure what to do. Just to be clear it is a hum/buzz of the transformer and not at all a vibration of the rack.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

"When I first plugged it in there was this huge buzz and the case was rattling. I opened it up and got most of the case rattling gone."
That is because the magnetic field of the transformer is induced to the top cover plate which starts rattling.
"I guess it is even worse on 220/240v than here in the states on 110/120."
That is perfectly right.

For more information, ask Italo de Angelis !!! He is the expert.
More about this problem can be found at the forum "Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production" under the thread 'I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000'
He the link:

I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
"When I first plugged it in there was this huge buzz and the case was rattling. I opened it up and got most of the case rattling gone."
That is because the magnetic field of the transformer is induced to the top cover plate which starts rattling.
"I guess it is even worse on 220/240v than here in the states on 110/120."
That is perfectly right.

For more information, ask Italo de Angelis !!! He is the expert.
More about this problem can be found at the forum "Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production" under the thread 'I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000'
He the link:

I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000
David Kulka sells and installs a specific 50hz transformer that stops this at 115 Volts in the USA so that's where I'd be heading for a quick plumping upgrade as to Italo, I'm pretty certain Italo is less on the technical minutiae then actual sound design and programming though certainly the Cult of H3000 holds much information from a huge brains trust! I'd be more inclined to see if SP2016's known Perspex lid and other methods alleviate the problem too!

Good luck

Lastly Good Grief - Don't Muck Around inside an H3000 with the power on?
That's asking for trouble!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
I'm pretty certain Italo is less on the technical minutiae then actual sound design and programming though certainly the Cult of H3000 holds much information from a huge brains trust! I'd be more inclined to see if SP2016's known Perspex lid and other methods alleviate the problem too!
Italo may be less on the technical minutiae but that does not keep him from disapproving the perspex cover idea, meant to solve a wellknown H3000 problem.
You may look at the recent conversation on the thread "I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000".
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I did checkout "I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000." Before and after I ordered my h3000. It is 60 pages long so I did not read everything just the first 2 pages or so. I will read or skim through the other 60 pages or so later today or tomorrow. I have to record all day in about an hour from now.

Quote:
David Kulka sells and installs a specific 50hz transformer that stops this at 115 Volts in the USA so that's where I'd be heading for a quick plumping upgrade as to Italo,
I called David yesterday. I have had work done by him in the past and it is top notch. He quoted me $400 or a replacement transformer installed. He is going out of town tomorrow for 2 months though. He said one of his tech could put it in while he is gone. I am wondering if I should wait 2 months to have him check it out personally through.

@SP2016

Like i said I got the top plate to stop rattling after I removed it and put it back on.

The buzzing/humming is coming from the circled area of this pic, the transformer. Sounds to me like a wall-wart plug that gets old and starts buzzing. David Kulka said he had two old transformers from original h3000 (I guess he means NOS) in his shop that he could put in. This was the $400 I was talking about earlier.

Here is on and off pictures of the unit with a db meter showing the difference in volume.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
I put two toroidal transformers in mine and got rid of the buzzing original transformer altogether. It is dead silent now and sounds great, what a great effects unit! Look around, all the info can be found here.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
I put two toroidal transformers in mine and got rid of the buzzing original transformer altogether. It is dead silent now and sounds great, what a great effects unit! Look around, all the info can be found here.
Where did you get the "toroidal transformers" from and where did you get them installed at?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmusic View Post
Where did you get the "toroidal transformers" from and where did you get them installed at?
you can get the transformers anywhere, off the shelf, the big challenge is to find a pair that will physically fit inside the enclosure, things are very tight in there. I mounted them on top of each other with one of them attached to the top lid of the H3000. You need to make sure the bolt that holds them does not shorten out top and bottom of the case.

30VA 2x15V and 80VA 2X7V is what I used, you may get away with a little less Watts but I wasn't able to figure out the exact current requirements from the service manual. If I were to do it again, I would definitely try to find a pair that is a couple Millimeters less high. Audiophonics : Achats de Produits Hi-Fi Audio Electroniques et DIY - Audiophonics item #10641 and #3629 total €40,-

I had been in contact with a transformer company in regards to manufacturing a custom (single) toroidal transformer that provides all the needed voltages, but since I couldn't verify the exact current requirements we didn't go through with this endeavour.

What I did when installing them was to get rid of the big Molex connector and solder the leads straight to the main pcb. There are often contact problems with this connector...

hope this helps!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I was able to find this Showing the transformer. Appears to be 30 volts AC out and 14 volts AC out. I put in a request for a $500 refund from the seller on Reverb. I have not heard back from them yet. I take it they are just not going to respond as it has been almost 3 days now. Reverb says they will just refund the money later today if they do not respond. So, I would have the money to get it fixed from David Kulka. If I get the money back I will probably have him do the work. If not I will try and find a transformer and do it myself.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Italo may be less on the technical minutiae but that does not keep him from disapproving the perspex cover idea, meant to solve a wellknown H3000 problem.
You may look at the recent conversation on the thread "I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000".
Erm....Hmmm apologies for endorsing your Perspex lid idea? Crikey!
Honestly
So sensitive!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=arsmusic;12999228]I did checkout "I have joined the cult of Eventide H3000." Before and after I ordered my h3000. It is 60 pages long so I did not read everything just the first 2 pages or so. I will read or skim through the other 60 pages or so later today or tomorrow. I have to record all day in about an hour from now.

I called David yesterday. I have had work done by him in the past and it is top notch. He quoted me $400 or a replacement transformer installed. He is going out of town tomorrow for 2 months though. He said one of his tech could put it in while he is gone. I am wondering if I should wait 2 months to have him check it out.

Like i said I got the top plate to stop rattling after I removed it and put it back on.

The buzzing/humming is coming from the circled area of this pic, the transformer. Sounds to me like a wall-wart plug that gets old and starts buzzing. David Kulka said he had two old transformers from original h3000 (I guess he means NOS) in his shop that he could put in. This was the $400 I was talking about. Here is on and off pictures of the unit with a db meter showing the difference in volume

Far out seriously....sheesh for $400.00 USD I doubt I'd bother as there has always been a hum at 115/230 Volts and David Kulka's special going away price is only $200.00 short of a $600.00 USD away from a Studio Electronics totally refurbished and full warranty, swapped out and upgraded plus recapped H3000 with Kulka's Kitchen Sink personal upgrade so in your case I'd say F*** it!

You're always going to have H3000 Hum unless you take drastic action to rewire up the PSU on the unit. Then your stuck with some boutique powering supply scheme no other Tech might work on? Honestly there's far more noise at 230 then 115 Volts. That's just the H3000 I'm afraid. Doubt any guy from eBay or Reverb is going to refund you $500.00 bucks for a working H3000? I guess that's the "Hardware Tradeoff" as you'll have actual voltage and a certain unemulated sound that Plug In's don't or can't recreate plus Noise!

Good luck!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

[QUOTE=TheLastByte;13004780]
Quote:
Far out seriously....sheesh for $400.00 USD I doubt I'd bother as there has always been a hum at 115/230 Volts and David Kulka's special going away price is only $200.00 short of a $600.00 USD away from a Studio Electronics totally refurbished and full warranty, swapped out and upgraded plus recapped H3000 with Kulka's Kitchen Sink personal upgrade so in your case I'd say F*** it!

You're always going to have H3000 Hum unless you take drastic action to rewire up the PSU on the unit. Then your stuck with some boutique powering supply scheme no other Tech might work on? Honestly there's far more noise at 230 then 115 Volts. That's just the H3000 I'm afraid. Doubt any guy from eBay or Reverb is going to refund you $500.00 bucks for a working H3000? I guess that's the "Hardware Tradeoff" as you'll have actual voltage and a certain unemulated sound that Plug In's don't or can't recreate plus Noise!

Good luck!
Are you saying Studio Electronics does a total referb for $600? My control room is dead quiet. I paid a lot of money to set this up that way. I have a machine room in the corner with a computer in there (and other noisy stuff) with 50 feet of cable through the wall and so on for usb computer monitors etc. With the unit on there is 6db of noise like I said. Are you saying even if I got a new transformer it could still have 6db of buzz? If a new transformer would give me 2db of buzz that would be worth it. I guess I would just have to try to really find out. The h3000 I have which is upgraded to a h3500b d/fx totally kills the Eventide h3000 plugin. So, buzz or not it is worth it. The seller never responded so Reverb said an agent assigned from the resolutions team will deiced now. If 6db of buzz is normal for 115v I do not even want to know what 230v sounds like.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=arsmusic;13004805]
Quote:
Are you saying Studio Electronics does a total referb for $600? My control room is dead quiet. I paid a lot of money to set this up that way. I have a machine room in the corner with a computer in there (and other noisy stuff) with 50 feet of cable through the wall and so on for usb computer monitors etc. With the unit on there is 6db of noise like I said. Are you saying even if I got a new transformer it could still have 6db of buzz? If a new transformer would give me 2db of buzz that would be worth it. I guess I would just have to try to really find out. The h3000 I have which is upgraded to a h3500b d/fx totally kills the Eventide h3000 plugin. So, buzz or not it is worth it. The seller never responded so Reverb said an agent assigned from the resolutions team will deiced now. If 6db of buzz is normal for 115v I do not even want to know what 230v sounds like.
[From their website url=http://studioelectronics.biz/eventide/]Eventide - Studio Electronics[/url] (Gone up $15.00 bucks since I last looked) We service all versions of the H3000 and H3500 and can update the program chip sets. Typical service cost is $615.00. This is a labor intensive servicing that includes power supply recap, cleaning any intermittent soft key switches, power supply connector replacement and upgrade, replacement of the NVRAM battery backup IC, cleaning the inside window of the alphanumeric display, internal adjustment of display brightness (if needed), other minor repairs that may be needed, and calibration of the offset and distortion trims. Upon completion, we do a complete 108 point check out of the analog and digital sections using Eventide’s proprietary H3000 test software, replace any missing or damaged chassis screws, and use a paint pen to touch up scratches in the black areas. For users in areas outside of North America, we have a small quantity of alternate version power transformers that are optimized for 50 Hz. power.]

Honestly if you're H3000 DFX doesn't have 6dB of buzz it would not even blow the Chettos orange dust from good Ol' Donald's Toupe! Honestly if the units working great! If not and...If it's so noisy and I mean so damn noisy you can't stand it think of two questions:

1. Is my Control Room Anechoic in design?
2. Is the H3000 unit I just purchased so horrifically noisy I can't live with it?

Seriously if you've ever had a Stereo Mastering 1/2" or 1/4" or Reel to Reel and esoteric audio gear in you're control room you'll know noise is simply a part of racked up Audio equipment and to think in terms of dead quiet and Anechoic is silly. Turn up the music and boom the noise evaporates though $400.00 USD for a transformer I could replace - give me strength! And yes the $615.00 USD includes a total and completely new overhaul with reduced everything! The exact reason Lexicon 224/X and 480/L units had & have 20-30 feet of Larc cable as those fans blow so noisily they make an H3000 look like a mouse! The 300/M/L 90/91/80/81/92/96 certainly don't suffer one trauma's and, sure I understand your trying to keep the noise floor of you're control room down though if the transformer on the PSU is buzzing like a chainsaw, I'd be looking at a damn swift return!

url=http://studioelectronics.biz/eventide/]Eventide - Studio Electronics[/url]

Hey SP2016 might sell you Eventide Buttons to replace older ones?

I doubt many would Except 36dB to 42dB of Noise! I must say that extra few dB from a slight "Hum" to total "Noise" seems very extreme, I'd hit up the H3000 cult forum and the Brain's trust to not only see the numerous and ingenious ways others have overcome this problem though invented and created easy and simple solutions to fix noisy problems for such units as the H3000 etc!

Best of Luck!

Last edited by TheLastByte; 3 days ago at 10:28 AM.. Reason: URL inserted
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Oh and you don't have an Eventide D/FX you've got a bog standard EPROM upgraded H3000 D/SX from around 1996-1997 it looks like and in pretty great condition working and with optional extras available like sampling board etc. So is that $400.00 USD worth it Vs the $615.00 overhaul price? Hmmm, that Sir, is indeed up to you!

Best of luck!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

My tech simply put the original trafo in an external case with quartzite inside.

I have now a cable going from the external case to the Eventide, of course.

It is completely silent now.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=TheLastByte;13004842]
Quote:

Hey SP2016 might sell you Eventide Buttons to replace older ones?
Yes !!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Q: Why is my Eventide humming?

A: Because it forgot the words.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Q: Why is my Eventide humming?

A: Because it forgot the words.
Funny !! Years ago I asked the same thing and got exactly the same answer from Richard Factor (Mr. Eventide) himself !!
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear

Thought I'd chime in, especially since my name has come up here.

As others have pointed out here and elsewhere, transformer vibration/hum is a known problem on H3000's. Most complaints about this come from outside of North America, where the power is 50 Hz. It is common for power transformer buzz to be worse at 50 Hz. because the transformer is closer to saturation, and mechanical resonances may be more of a factor at that frequency. Over time, it probably gets worse in many cases. Local line voltage might be a factor too. The problem may be more common with U.S. built equipment, since most U.S. manufacturers would probably not think to test their gear at 50 Hz., or have any immediate way to do it.

I've never had the chance to actually hear an H3000 that's running at 50 Hz. and don't have an easy way to create 230 V 50 Hz. power in my shop. But this issue has been haunting me for a while and one of these days I think I'll rig something up with an oscillator, power amp, and transformer so I can test H3000's that way. (This is not trivial and would have to be done with a lot of care since any little mistake or setup error could easily damage the unit under test!)

A while back I discussed this topic with Eventide's former chief tech (now retired). He was aware of it and mentioned that the early H3000's actually used a slightly different transformer, that is quieter than the one that was used in most productions runs. (They look almost exactly the same and I am overseas at the moment, but maybe later on I can post photos or explain a way to see the difference.) I got a few of them from Eventide but have just installed one so far, and didn't get any feedback from the owner, so I don't know whether it solves the problem entirely, or just partly.

It's worth noting (and I think someone else mentioned this earlier) that sometimes in older transformers the epoxy or glue binding the laminations degrades, causing vibration and noise. In that case even replacing an older transformer with an NOS unit of the same type would be an improvement.

Our refurb (which runs a bit more than $600) includes a lot of steps but in cases where more work or parts are needed there are usually additional charges, and power transformer replacement would certainly fall into that category.

We generally sell clean, fully refurbished upgraded units for $1600-$1800, depending on cosmetics. Sometimes I see unserviced units go for the same prices, which always surprises me. I would bet that a lot of those units don't survive shipping, have problems not mentioned by the seller, or develop problems not long after the sale.

Last edited by David Kulka; 17 hours ago at 03:55 AM..
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search