The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AEA KU4 or AEA 44C Ribbon Microphones
View Poll Results: Which Microphone
AEA KU4
2 Votes - 50.00%
AEA 44C
2 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

AEA KU4 or AEA 44C

I have a Flea 49, Schoeps CMC 621 pair
BAE 1084 and Gordon Model 5
I want get a new Microphone
Budget 4000 USD
Currently I am testing an AEA KU4.

I wonder if it would make more sense to look for an AEA R44C!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think you would be doing anything wrong getting either one of those. As beautiful sounding as they are amazingly well made pieces, dare I say works of art for what they are and for the year we're living in. They're two totally different mics so if you have the opportunity I would test both out and see what fits your workflow.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have had a Flea 49 for two years now and will say that I haven't tried anything else yet that can hang with the sound and low noise.

Without going to the trouble of naming the other mics I have tried and sold, I'll say an AEA ribbon, not the ones mentioned, was one and the rest were $3K to $4K LDCs.

Compared to the F49, I could not tolerate the noise of the ribbon and returned it.

Next mic I hope to try early in 2018 and hopefully keep is the Manley Silver which may deliver on the ribbon vibe via a tube LDC based on the review I have read.
Old 1 week ago
Both are very different mics... Based on your mic locker, the 44 would be the most "different" sounding, if you're just looking to add another flavor. I produced a whole series of listening library videos for AEA where you can hear the differences in a controlled setting: YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thank you for the replies. The Soundclip library you mentioned is very helpful.
Totally different sound.
AEA Ribbon Mics | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I really like the sound of the R44! But I think that the KU4 is more appropriate for the kind of music my current customer make.
On the other hand the difference between R44 and Flea49 is of course more interesting.

I have the KU4 only two days. I must say with the Gordon preamp it works very well. No noise and more than enough gain.
But this will be my first ribbon microphone and I am not that experienced yet.

But I am glad that somebody gave me the hint to look for the KU4 rather than buying a Flea47 in addition to my Flea49.

Oh the R44 sound great on guitar amp as well! Arrrgh! Why is it always that difficult?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Compared to the F49, I could not tolerate the noise of the ribbon and returned it.
Having done quite a bit of moving around and remote recording I can tell you from solid personal experience that the room, and more specifically the RFI from all that surrounds it greatly affects the noise levels you hear when you throw up a ribbon mic.

I've had them be dead quiet to almost unusable. Vintage, modern, AEA, ribbon mic offerings, it doesn't matter. They're prone to picking up this type of interference. There are tricks to work around it when you have to. I've been lucky in my current location that all my ribbons are dead quiet without the need for tricks or workarounds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The KU4 was designed to be more of a close mic than the 44. Not that the KU4 does not sound good further back from a source, but it was more of a purpose build at the time. Do you have a studio with multiple rooms (or at least a large, live room) or are you working out of a smaller project studio or one room? If your acoustics are not the best and you plan on doing a lot of closer micing, the KU4 might be a better choice. Other than that, it's just a toss up between them. If you're dropping that much money on a new mic, might as well order from someone that will send both to you so you can test them out and decide for yourself!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Yes I will ask my dealer to provide an AEA R44C next to the AEA KU4.
My recording room is 15sqm! Acoustically professonal treated but you can still hear a little the small room on recordings with distance to the mic.
Mainly I record vocals, acoustic guitar and guitar amps!
When I compare the AEA KU4 to the Flea 49 I like that the KU4 is more tidied up in the low mids and has more nitty gritties ( I guess due to better response to transients) but is not so present! Although compared to the KU4 the highs of the 49 sound a little artificial.
And the KU4 seems to react very good to EQ ( I think here as well the preserved transients are the reason)

What I like at the R44c is the touching old school sound!

Last edited by Friedwald; 1 week ago at 09:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgroove View Post
Yes I will ask my dealer to provide an AEA R44C next to the AEA KU4.
My recording room is 15sqm! Acoustically professonal treated but you can still hear a little the small room on recordings with distance to the mic.
Mainly I record vocals, acoustic guitar and guitar amps!
When I compare the AEA KU4 to the Flea 49 I like that the KU4 is more tidied up in the low mids and has more nitty gritties ( I guess due to better response to transients) but is not so present! Although compared to the KU4 the highs of the 49 sound a little artificial.
And the KU4 seems to react very good to EQ ( I think here as well the preserved transients are the reason)

What I like at the R44c is the touching old school sound!
The 44CE will give you the same sound for less money.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What do you think regarding buying an used AEA R44C from VK?
Or would you be very cautious buying used ribbon microphones?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The only thing that can really go wrong with a ribbon mic is the ribbon. And ribbons are easily replaced, and they're not that expensive. You do, of course, need to get them to someone who knows what they're doing.

And VK has a warranty, no?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The ribbons in ribbon mics gradually stretch slightly and become outside of the original specs for
sensitivity and resonance. Ideally a ribbon mic can be serviced every few years.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
The 44CE will give you the same sound for less money.
I have and would recommend looking at the 44CX; not cheap though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Having done quite a bit of moving around and remote recording I can tell you from solid personal experience that the room, and more specifically the RFI from all that surrounds it greatly affects the noise levels you hear when you throw up a ribbon mic.

I've had them be dead quiet to almost unusable. Vintage, modern, AEA, ribbon mic offerings, it doesn't matter. They're prone to picking up this type of interference. There are tricks to work around it when you have to. I've been lucky in my current location that all my ribbons are dead quiet without the need for tricks or workarounds.
Great point about RFI regardless of the mics quality in daily use. I have some Ribbons that are much less sensitive and remarkably quite (w the right pre).
I also have one higher $ ribbon that albeit excellent sounding, causes me to move it around quite a bit searching for a sweet spot that helps to greatly reduce, and almost eliminate hum / interference type issues.

It would nice to hear what your “tricks / work workarounds involve.
The subject is quite valid when discussing ribbon choices & RFI in relation to ones room.

Last edited by chet.d; 1 week ago at 09:16 PM..
Old 1 week ago
I LOVE my 44C's. People talked them down a bit but they sound like mint, crisp versions of old records and they look wonderful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
It would nice to hear what your “tricks / work workarounds involve.
The subject is quite valid when discussing ribbon choices & RFI in relation to ones room.
Well #1 is to not record in a room that has major problems with RFI lol. I learned that the hard way a while back. Really just the usual, keep cable runs short, avoid being near mains boxes, florescent lighting, etc. I did use ferrite bead choke clamps in that really bad location and it worked really well. Good to have in the tool box but not a cure all. You size them to your cable outer diameters but they look like this below.

Amazon.com: Ferrite Core 3/8 Cord Noise Suppressor: Home Audio & Theater
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I am comparing the AEA KU4 currently against my Flea 49!
I am surprised how good it sounds!

I have heard from two sides that it would be good to record one source with ribbon and condensor, to get the best from both worlds! But I cant believe it cause I am always afraid of frequence cancellations (Kammfiltereffekt)
What is your experience?

Last edited by Friedwald; 1 week ago at 05:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago
i tried the KU4 but the R44 wow's me more.

Obviously, for rejection when tracking live, the KU4 is the one to select.

But the 44 is a gem, like none other
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I bought the KU4.
Thanks for your support!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Congratulations and it would be fantastic to hear some tracks when you are ready.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

I have a AEA R44C for sale in the classifieds .. the mic is in BC Canada. I am in no rush to sell, and may end up keeping it since they are so special. The 44 is an incredible mic that sounds like no other .. the AEA 44 is a "part for part" remake .. not like the clone mics around that sub in modern parts. All this you likely already know.

Cheers.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search