The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sonic difference between Siemens U273b and TAB U373a ? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Head

sonic difference between Siemens U273b and TAB U373a ?

Hello,

does anyone own both of these or just the Siemens ? How does their sound compare ? I own and know and love the TAB compressors, but i never heard of the Siemens version.

The thing is, i just caught an U273b on ebay, but i'd need to rack the unit due to its strange tuchel connector. I might be able to swap it with a 373a, which i could just fit in my existing rack. Both are in excellent condition, the siemens would be 50 bucks cheaper as well. Any advice is very welcome !
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict

I do own U273 (not the one in the picture, the bigger ones) and U373a. Different but not too much. I find the U273 a bit softer and fuller, and the U373a a bit more agressive, but more or less similar tone. My other comps are NTP170 and Calrec RQD6400. Both quite different from the germans.
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Head

Thanks Piccolini ! I also got two U373's and i love them...so when the U273b is a bit softer, it would be perfect (i'll get this one now).

I'll report back here when all is set up, just in case someday somebody else comes across these..
Old 27th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisekeeper View Post
Thanks Piccolini ! I also got two U373's and i love them...so when the U273b is a bit softer, it would be perfect (i'll get this one now).

I'll report back here when all is set up, just in case someday somebody else comes across these..
I am interested in these as well.
So.. Did you like the U273b in the end?

I have no experience from the old german comps, Only their EQ´s...

How would you describe the tone, Compression characteristic?
Without mod, is the attack a slow one or a rather fast one??

Thank you for your time!
//Ted
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Krotkiewski View Post
I am interested in these as well.
So.. Did you like the U273b in the end?

I have no experience from the old german comps, Only their EQ´s...

How would you describe the tone, Compression characteristic?
Without mod, is the attack a slow one or a rather fast one??

Thank you for your time!
//Ted
Hi Ted,

it turned out that the U273b was (and still is) defective, so i can't say. But i also got an U237t (made by TAB, never seen anything like that before, see pic below), which seems to be some kind of clone of the Siemens without the VU meter. Had it repaired (was broken too, although sold as fully functional) and now it is working perfectly. I've done some comparisons between the Telefunken/TAB U373a and the TAB U273t (download link below).

It's a bit hard to describe their character...to me punchy or soft wouldn't do it. It's more like it's having that tight grip around your signal, making it sound upfront, whatever it is (compare "Voc A dry" with "Voc A U373a"). It is also quite a bit depending on the threshold/release settings, to have it rather subtle or massive effect.

Surprisingly, i found them almost identical sounding, sometimes at different settings though (for example, Voc A U373a sounds like Voc B U273t despite different threshold and release), the U273t i'd say is a tiny bit less "aggresive" and more controlled/clean sounding, the u373a sounds a bit more "fat".

Btw, i also have a pair of U373BK, which have no controls other than comp/limit or off, but these sound awesome, too. Whatever you throw at them sounds upfront compressed in a very pleasant way, designed to have no need to adjust anything, and that works perfectly well in my opinion. Now that i'm writing it, i really miss them..need more racks

Here are the files...sorry for the terrible guitar playing, i'm usually a keyboarder The recording chain was a Rode NTV into a Telefunken v376, split up into the comps, then into an UA Apollo Twin.
If you like to hear any other or own file processed, let me know.

https://mega.nz/#!QvRyVYRS!6kBJYAVdA...5DoDQo_qvRejC4
Attached Thumbnails
sonic difference between Siemens U273b and TAB U373a ?-img_20181107_011618_877.jpg  

Last edited by noisekeeper; 7th November 2018 at 11:00 AM..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search