The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann u67 vs 87. With samples! Condenser Microphones
Old 30th November 2017
Neumann u67 vs 87. With samples!

Hi,

I just recently bought a Neumann u67 and a pair of u87 vintage. I did a quick test just to hear the difference. Don't take it to seriously, it's just a quick one-take test. Non the less you can definitely hear a difference. You get that 2000's tape hizz alá computer fan-noise for free!

Next up i'm gonna a/b the Neumann u67 and 269c!

Gainmatched Files:

Neumann u67 and u87 vintage - Google Drive

Recorded with a Crane Song spider preamp and it's AD.

Cheers!
Old 30th November 2017
Cool! Both sounds good, I like U67 more here, as the highs are better integrated with the rest of the sound and there's also more bottom, and overall it sounds smoother, but U87 is great on it's own as well
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Add a little EQP1 to that 87 to get in the ballpark.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear
I prefer the U87 myself. It seems to have more presence (I assume the two files were level matched). I own a pair of vintage U87s as well, so this interests me. Thanks for sharing the samples
Old 4th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
I prefer the U87 myself. It seems to have more presence (I assume the two files were level matched). I own a pair of vintage U87s as well, so this interests me. Thanks for sharing the samples
Agreed, there's a nasty resonance in the 67 somewhere and it's hissy/noisy but the room sounds pretty rough so it's hard to really tell.

I think U67's are such silly money now when you can get a vintage U87 for 1/5th of the price.

The good news is they both suit your voice.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

U67 sounds more natural, and the Voice sounds rounder and smoother.
Great fricatives, for example nice to hear at the part "..leave the c... downside..."
Reminds me of Gefells UM92.1s regarding fricatives and natural sounding

Btw, nice test for a microphone, because you sing on Tenor level. In the highs you hear if a microphone works or not.
Fine microphone for your voice!

One word in addition, if you sing higher notes, the u67 is much more smoother than the FET U87.
Thats what tube microphones doing really well

Last edited by whitealbum; 10th March 2018 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitealbum View Post
U67 sounds more natural, and the Voice sounds rounder and smoother.
Great fricatives, for example nice to hear at the part "..leave the c... downside..."
Reminds me of Gefells UM92.1s regarding fricatives and natural sounding

Btw, nice test for a microphone, because you sing on Tenor level. In the highs you hear if a microphone works or not.
Fine microphone for your voice!

One word in addition, if you sing higher notes, the u67 is much more smoother than the FET U87.
Thats what tube microphones doing really well
The u67 is def more forgiving! I haven't tracked the u87 with my pultec (clone!?) But i could imagine that it would smooth it up a bit and give it some harmonic content which may be the thing it lacks because of it's fet design.

The u67 design is really the best natural desser i've come across. Modern mics tend to exaggerate sibilance where the u67 just evens it out in a natural way.

I don't have that strong of an spl output but many mic's fall apart under high spl.
Old 10th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post

The u67 design is really the best natural desser i've come across. Modern mics tend to exaggerate sibilance where the u67 just evens it out in a natural way.

I don't have that strong of an spl output but many mic's fall apart under high spl.
You're completely right, i imported your tracks into my DAW and push it with 1176 and LQ-2a.
Fine, and as you said, U67 is the best natural desser, no 3rd party desser is needed
And the wonderful full and rich mids, very fine!
I'm sure if i put the U67 Vocals on the instrumental mix,it will sit right in front of the mix.

If it is possible for you, it would be fine, if i can get the instrumental mix of this song, so i can check it for myself. But only if this is not a problem for you, just for checking.
Thanks!

Last edited by whitealbum; 10th March 2018 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Wow less of a difference than I would have imagined
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear
I just did a shootout with one of my 1980 Neumann U87s to a brand new Neumann U67 at my local dealer's place. We did vocals and drums. My U87 required a considerable amount more gain to match up with the U67 (10-12 dB or so). Once level matched there seemed to be only a slight difference in sound, the U67 being a bit more full in the mids and highs. Both mics handled the loud drum transients very well. In my humble opinion there was not enough difference for me to justify the price of a pair of new U67s, as damned sexy as they are.
Old 12th April 2018
Quote:
I just did a shootout with one of my 1980 Neumann U87s to a brand new Neumann U67 at my local dealer's place. We did vocals and drums. My U87 required a considerable amount more gain to match up with the U67 (10-12 dB or so). Once level matched there seemed to be only a slight difference in sound, the U67 being a bit more full in the mids and highs. Both mics handled the loud drum transients very well. In my humble opinion there was not enough difference for me to justify the price of a pair of new U67s, as damned sexy as they are.
For me the u67 just sits in the mix way easier. It's dynamic control, dessing circuit is just pure gold. Needs less compression and just has that expensive presence that most of us love.

Way back when with tape and all the u87 could probably be a better option in many cases since it has some more air to it. i wouldn't call a u67 dull but it can take some treble boosting, the 269c is much more balanced in that sense, it just adds what the u67 lacks in treble.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
My U87 is a 1980 model too; it sounds so, so good. A good year maybe?!
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Could be
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear
Any year Klaus Heyne puts his hands on a u87 is a good year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Any year Klaus Heyne puts his hands on a u87 is a good year.
No doubt - but I wouldn’t change a thing about it - sounds great.
Speaking of Klaus: I guess he’s waiting on Neumann along with everyone else? I’d love to hear his Neumann Bat-Ear thoughts. A lot of the guts are different to original (talking incremental differences eg cap types, tube brand, transformer metals, psu, etc) and yet everyone who has one is reporting “it’s a U67!”. Goes to show how critical and how Sound-defining that Neumann capsule is I guess as that’s the part that is exactly the same.
Old 18th April 2018
Nice shoot out. I think either would work fine. I’m partial to the U67, but the U87 sounded nice on your voice too. It would really depend on the song and mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search