The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AML 54F50 meters 500 Series Chassis
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac

AML 54F50 automatically linking in Heritage Audio OST10 rack

I have 2 AML 54F50 compressors racked next to each other in a Heritage Audio OST-10. I noticed that the gain reduction meter of one unit will mirror the gain reduction meter of the other unit, even when signal is being passed through only one unit. Indeed, the meters will move on both units even when the XLR ins and outs are completely disconnected from one of the units.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this behavior? I am not using the link feature, and have everything hooked up per the instruction sheet (input on slot 1, output on slot 3 of each unit). I don’t believe the Heritage rack has any built in “link” function so that shouldn’t be an issue.

It was a pain getting them to fit in the rack, so I thought I’d post a question before I take it apart and start testing them in different slot locations.

Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.

Last edited by Singlecutz; 28th November 2017 at 07:23 AM..
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

does the Heritage Audio have them side chained together?
if so you are useing them both.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
does the Heritage Audio have them side chained together?
if so you are useing them both.
No, the Heritage rack does not have that feature. You would have to manually connect the ins and outs on slot 2 to link these compressors.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quick update: I tried separating the units to opposite ends of the rack (slots 1-3 and slots 7/10). The same problem still occurs. Interestingly, it sounds like both units compress at the highest settings between the two so it is not just the meters, but the compression circuits that are being linked. I tested by setting one for very low compression and one with very high compression, and both would compress at the high settings even if audio signal was only being sent to the low compression setting unit. The same thing would happen when I swapped the hi and low compression settings between the units.

I moved the units into separate 500 series racks, and the problem appears to be solved, with the meters moving independently and the units compressing independently.

Can anyone from Heritage Audio and/or AML chime in and explain what is going on here?
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Does the Heritage Audio manual say they are not linked?
From what I have seen they are.
Something I have an issue with and it is not just Heritage Audio. A number of companies have linked all there channels mostly because people lacked the ability to solder a jumper. So they just link them. Now they have to remove a jumper or resister.
Do you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to read it?
Post a detailed pic of the inside of the Heritage rack.
I would bet AML will chime in.
If you have a soldering iron it is not a big issue.

Last edited by pan60; 28th November 2017 at 06:57 AM..
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

You may be right Pan. I see no mention of this on Heritage Audio’s website, but they do have images if you want to see inside the rack.

I’m hoping they respond to this post and clear things up.
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

if you look in your rack you will see a link between pin 6 for side chane function look and see.
you can cut the link and add a toggle then get the best of both.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

The heritage rack has all the links fitted.... they look like resistors near pin 6... you can see them in the photos on their website:

OST10 | Heritage Audio

So, wherever you fit compressors in that rack, they will be linked..... and of course, if you use different brands of compressors in the same rack, they could potentially damage each other as there is no standard for the level of control voltages which pass through these links.

If you are using the 54F50's in slots 1-6, remove the link between slot 3 and 4 (you can just cut it out)... ideally, wire a simple switch to the place where the link was.... then you can switch between linked and seperate.

Colin
Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Thank you for the info Colin!
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quick follow up question Colin: does the fact that all the slots are linked create any risk to other units besides compressors? I have multiple AML EZ1073 preamps and an assortment of EQs in the rack with the 54F50 compressors.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Unlikely..... (no problem with anything we make)...

I would hope that all manufacturers would only use pin 6 for compressor stereo linking... but could be wrong ?

Colin
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Singlecutz, if you remove the pin 6 links in that rack you could save yourself some possible future headaches.
Do you know how to solder?
It would be an easy task and a possible good leaning opportunity. Or ask Heritage Audio to do it ( i doubt they would but? ).
Old 28th November 2017
Sorry for my ignorance, but if you have the Heritage Rack and cut the jumper, do you lose the ability to link the compressors?

Planning on buying a pair of 54f50's this month and a Heritage Rack.

- Kent
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

You could add a toggle, then have them linked or not linked. Just an on / off type toggle in place of the jumper run the two wires over to the power supple panel.
Personally I would just get the API lunchbox and get the faceplate and toggle Colin sells.
here is mine before my lunbox came in. it is an old pic but it was easy to find and you can see what i am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
AML 54F50 meters-fullsizeoutput_d3.jpg  
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

here is a pic in the lunchbox.
Attached Thumbnails
AML 54F50 meters-fullsizeoutput_b0d.jpg  
Old 28th November 2017
Right - was trying to get a different rack for $$$ reasons....I've emailed Colin to ask if you can link by XLR on the back - if so I'll just bring those up on the patchbay.
Old 28th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoop View Post
Right - was trying to get a different rack for $$$ reasons....I've emailed Colin to ask if you can link by XLR on the back - if so I'll just bring those up on the patchbay.
yes but i'll let colin get back to but you on that, however you will still need to remove the link if you dont want them linked.

Last edited by pan60; 29th November 2017 at 01:45 AM..
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

I had same thing happening with bento and harrison eqs. It didn't matter which slot i put them into. Signal was routed from left input to both eqs.
I sold the bento and bought the heritage rack because of the color. I thought its gonna look great with the aml comps that i'm gonna buy.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I haven’t noticed audio leaking from one channel to the next when I use my preamps to record or EQs to mix. While the compressors were automatically linking the amount of compression being applied, it was still being applied to whatever audio was being routed to each respective slot.

I hope that helps.
Old 9th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
The heritage rack has all the links fitted.... they look like resistors near pin 6... you can see them in the photos on their website:

OST10 | Heritage Audio

So, wherever you fit compressors in that rack, they will be linked..... and of course, if you use different brands of compressors in the same rack, they could potentially damage each other as there is no standard for the level of control voltages which pass through these links.

If you are using the 54F50's in slots 1-6, remove the link between slot 3 and 4 (you can just cut it out)... ideally, wire a simple switch to the place where the link was.... then you can switch between linked and seperate.

Colin
Sorry for such a noob question... I have a pair of 54f50's on the way and was thinking of getting the heritage 6 slot but wasnt sure how to about what you were saying

i drew an arrow to the link as I wasnt sure which one and was wondering if thats it?

but do i just cut the link or do i desolder?

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
AML 54F50 meters-img_0124.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search