The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Empirical Labs Fatso EL7 Junior vs EL7X
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Empirical Labs Fatso EL7 Junior vs EL7X

I'm a bit confused about this hardware and would like your help. I'm talking about the hardware version.

I have heard great things about tracking with the Fatso for some instruments. Now that I'm checking the models, there's a FATSO EL7 Jr and there is a new version FATSO EL7X.

Couple questions:

1) The FATSO that gained this great reputation originally was the FATSO EL7 Jr? Why is it called Junior or is this just a simple name? Junior for me implies something that is a simplified version of a regular version.

2) If you could get a good price for a used FATSO EL7 Jr would you go for it? Or you prefer paying regular price for the new version that I understand it has an additional element called "Eleven" and not sure what else?

3) If you have the UAD Fatso software. Do you think you would find useful the hardware version anyway for tracking?

Thanks!
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

yup... the 7X is the new version and replaces the jr. as you mentioned there is the additional setting/ratio "eleven", some improvements on the button-functions and frontpanel. depending on price and shape of the used one, why not. I personally would go with the new model 7X.

I was disapointed by all UA plugins I own(ed) the hardware of. API, Manley, Chandler. Vice Versa useful? Quite probably yes
Old 27th November 2017
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

phuggin LOVE the el7x
Dave Derr, does it again.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

So you would go EL7X over EL7 100%?

I mean people love the original Junior right?
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Bumping this. Considering a Fatso for tracking acoustics, vocals, and electric guitars/bass.
Old 31st December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Bumping this. Considering a Fatso for tracking acoustics, vocals, and electric guitars/bass.
Love my Fatso I have an original and don’t care to even consider whatever newer version came out. I use it to track bass, guitars, and vocals and mixing. It’s a great tool and gets a lot of use here. i feel for tracking vocals it’s just the right the way a singer can lean into it and it doesn’t sound over done. I also use my Distressors for vocal tracking, always on light settings.
Old 31st December 2019
Gear Nut

I really like the Fatso. One of my favourite mixing tools for quickly knocking stems into shape where the warmth function comes in handy and the compression programmes cover plenty of ground. Always the first insert on my mix bus too. Anyone else using it here??

I've not tried the plugin.

I have the older model which still has a massive range of tonal possibilities. Only complaint is that it's a bit noisy (which I understand was improved with the release of the EL7X).

The transformer emulation is naff.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

I can get a used EL7 for about $1650, or a new EL7X for $2250. Without hearing them side by side, I'm not sure the difference, so if anyone has used both and can share more, that would be great.
Old 1st January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can get a used EL7 for about $1650, or a new EL7X for $2250. Without hearing them side by side, I'm not sure the difference, so if anyone has used both and can share more, that would be great.
i've only had the original, but it seems the EL7X is lacking the 'general purpose'/opto-mode which i always found the most usable compression mode for tracking vocals etc...

happy new year!
Old 1st January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW - my opinion only. I never popped for the original model. I borrowed someone else's EL7x a while back and ended up buying my own. I like it on a stereo drum bus. I've used it for tracking bass, acoustic, electric guitars and vocals. I like the fact that you can dial it in real fast and find a usable setting without having to screw with attack/release on each channel. I originally thought that would be a negative not having attack/release controls, but it's not. The "warm" settings are useful as well as the "tranny" setting. A great addition to Distressors. The newer model doesn't seem to get much love though.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

The newer EL7x was most likely influenced by the popularity of the UBK mod. I've only ever used the original EL7, preferred the versatility of the distressors.

I'm guessing the EL7x is an upgrade,
but would be nice to hear the EL7 and EL7x side by side.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

the GP mode has been replaced by the ELEVEN mode on the EL7X...
another nice thing is the backward stepping when pressing buttons longer on the X.
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear
I bought an EL7X after using the jr for several years. They have the same mojo with less noise. The new eleven setting is amazing for room crushing or any other crunching needs
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Bought the EL7X and will see how I like it, and also compare it to the UAD plugin.
Old 2nd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Bought the EL7X and will see how I like it, and also compare it to the UAD plugin.
To really hear the difference, make sure you a/b the hardware to the plugin within the mix—not solo’d. You will really hear what the hardware is doing much more clear that way. The plugin is really good though!
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve 2 people mention noise on the original I’ve never had noise issues. I’ve been using my original Fatso along with a pair of Distressors for many years. Emperical Labs makes great gear and got it right. I’m sure the new version is amazing as well.

I’m glad I have the original. I know what it does and I trust it to do what I want.

Tracking vocals with it just works and adds something I like. I often track to 2 inch tape and when I overdub after transferring to Protools the Fatso makes the tracks sit and gel just right with the basic Drums, Bass, and rythem guitar tracks that hit 2 inch tape.
Old 3rd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I’ve 2 people mention noise on the original I’ve never had noise issues. I’ve been using my original Fatso along with a pair of Distressors for many years. Emperical Labs makes great gear and got it right. I’m sure the new version is amazing as well.

I’m glad I have the original. I know what it does and I trust it to do what I want.

Tracking vocals with it just works and adds something I like. I often track to 2 inch tape and when I overdub after transferring to Protools the Fatso makes the tracks sit and gel just right with the basic Drums, Bass, and rythem guitar tracks that hit 2 inch tape.
It’s not that the Jr is noisy. It’s that the new one has less noise and a new preset. Also it runs cooler. Other than that, they are the same. Not one is better than the other.

Last edited by Flippy Floppy; 3rd January 2020 at 10:45 PM..
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

I think I’m going to cancel the order for the new EL7x and get a used Jr. Seems my favorite uses of the Fatso all were by producers who used the older one (I.e. Vance Powell)...so saving $600+ makes more sense. Don’t think I’d use the new 20:1 mode that much if at all for my productions, and if the Jr isn’t known for being noisy, then “less noise” isn’t worth the cost unless it’s really noticeable
Old 11th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I’m going to cancel the order for the new EL7x and get a used Jr. Seems my favorite uses of the Fatso all were by producers who used the older one (I.e. Vance Powell)...so saving $600+ makes more sense. Don’t think I’d use the new 20:1 mode that much if at all for my productions, and if the Jr isn’t known for being noisy, then “less noise” isn’t worth the cost unless it’s really noticeable
I think you’ll be happy with it, if i had to buy another one that’s what I would do.
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Addict
Im thinking about buying a fatso too for my drum bus.

What is the difference between the UBK Fatso and the EL Fatso?
The UBK cost $400 to $500 more than the EL, what about it warrants that cost increase?

Thanks for any info.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Got the EL7; Sounds amazing. No noise as far as I can tell so the EL7x doesn't seem to be a necessary upgrade in that department.

I'm running it after an 1176 and/or LA2A, so I don't think I'm going to use the compressor section of the Fatso much. Mainly the warmth/saturation and occasionally the tranny.

Would love any user tips/suggestions on various sources, settings etc...and when you prefer the Fatso compressor to other outboards like 1176/LA2A (or if you ever use it along with another comp).

Thanks!
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Addict

I have the el7x and love it. It is almost permanently patched on my drum bus. Heres a tip: I sum my drums on a dbox (2 mono and 3 stereo channels) and then have the sum usually out go through a pair of rnd 551s then into the fatso then into the master bus. That way i can not only adjust the fatso settings but can also adjust how hot the 551s get hit with the output drive on the dbox. Having an eq before the fatso is useful. The drum bus is half-normalled to the master bus on the patch panel so i can parallel the fatso, send it all through the fatso, or leave it out. Enjoy!
📝 Reply