The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So...I got a few spares, LOL! Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

So...I got a few spares, LOL!

I recently picked up a D&R Cinemix. It's immaculate. The VST plug for it from GSI is a little crusty but I'm working on updating it. All the parts can still be found but I thought it couldn't hurt to pick up a spare module or two. I bumped into a fella online in West Virginia who had purchased a 48 channel one a while ago. Long story, short...his arrived missing the master section. He'd since bought an SSL and just wanted to get rid of the thing. I don't need/want a 48 frame so I bought all the modules (46), patchbay and power supply and we're sending the frame/stand to recycling.

Now what? All wanted was a few spares, haha!

The top faders on mine aren't motorized so I'll be taking 37 of those off and using them (modules are fully motored with Alps faders). The patchbay and power supply may find a buyer on eBay. I have no idea what the value might be on these. The bay is huge and the supply is lovely, 18v and no fan. It's the modules I don't know what I should do with. The pres are IC based but quite good with 84 db gain. I read the EQ has really low phase distortion and there are those that love them (always somebody who doesn't). The module is all on one card and would need to be cut to put these into a box for a channel strip, not that I have the experience to actually do that.

I'm giving a few modules to someone who has space in their 48 frame. I'll keep a couple as spares. Any ideas what I might do with the rest of them? I don't think these would work in a different mixer because of the digital routing in the Cinemix but I may be wrong. Would anyone besides a Cinemix owner want these?
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Guru

I personally would keep the spare power supply. If yours goes down, mid session, its a simple plug and play.

I'd also think about selling spares in Europe, as D&R is European and probably sold better there than the US.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I personally would keep the spare power supply. If yours goes down, mid session, its a simple plug and play.

I'd also think about selling spares in Europe, as D&R is European and probably sold better there than the US.
Hmmm. Probably right. I'm a project studio and can afford down time, but I checked prices on a new Acopian and wouldn't get much for it so may as well keep it.

Seriously don't have time to get in to the module selling business, maybe in lots of 8.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, plenty of D&R Consoles on the Netherlands, Europe in general possibly a very underrated console or not so well known by many. Do be aware of the moving fader trap. You're going to find yourself continually blowing out gunk from the carbon tracks and reconnecting them to pcb boards etc. Otherwise I'd keep as many spares as possible and may 16 master Moving Faders. VCA mode often can be quicker with write/Read/Null/write modes and there's no more hassle then Auto Faders jumping and chattering so I'd think it unwise to install 36.

I'd maximum do 24 and when one goes down drop in another "Spare Fader w/Moving Alps K series etc. Just my opinion though from Euphonix to total recall quite often a master - or 1-8 main Auto/VCA and 8 Aux Auto /VCA are all that's required more so when you're doing tracking as when they "Chatter, don't line up and the speed differs" you'll be thinking twice about reinstalling the original faders. Again: Simply my perspective though great score! I'd maybe erm...Keep the frame too a side car for other work or Studio cut to 12/16 channels might just be where you use that spate psu unit when not required. Better warm then stone cold dead awaiting install!

Best of luck!
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Yes, plenty of D&R Consoles on the Netherlands, Europe in general possibly a very underrated console or not so well known by many. Do be aware of the moving fader trap. You're going to find yourself continually blowing out gunk from the carbon tracks and reconnecting them to pcb boards etc. Otherwise I'd keep as many spares as possible and may 16 master Moving Faders. VCA mode often can be quicker with write/Read/Null/write modes and there's no more hassle then Auto Faders jumping and chattering so I'd think it unwise to install 36.

I'd maximum do 24 and when one goes down drop in another "Spare Fader w/Moving Alps K series etc. Just my opinion though from Euphonix to total recall quite often a master - or 1-8 main Auto/VCA and 8 Aux Auto /VCA are all that's required more so when you're doing tracking as when they "Chatter, don't line up and the speed differs" you'll be thinking twice about reinstalling the original faders. Again: Simply my perspective though great score! I'd maybe erm...Keep the frame too a side car for other work or Studio cut to 12/16 channels might just be where you use that spate psu unit when not required. Better warm then stone cold dead awaiting install!

Best of luck!
But...but...but....they look so cool!

Sorry, missed this response. I already have the bottom row of faders motorized. To be honest, they feel awful. The belt and the gears make it feel like a hundred little detents. I may just wait on this now until I've worked with this thing a little, plus I'm working on modifying the VST Bridge so I can control the top channels with the long throw bottom faders anyway. I shipped these modules across the USA and it was too problematic to grab the larger frame also. It's gone to D&R Heaven now. Not sure if a sidecar would have worked anyway with all the digitally controlled routing going on in these things. The deciding factor was that this is a personal project studio. With the 10 stereo returns, that's 84 inputs. Far more than I need already. I'm giving 14 monos and 4 stereos along with 3 dynamics cards to a fella in France with a short loaded 48. Still have lots left to give away.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
But...but...but....they look so cool!

Sorry, missed this response. I already have the bottom row of faders motorized. To be honest, they feel awful. The belt and the gears make it feel like a hundred little detents. I may just wait on this now until I've worked with this thing a little, plus I'm working on modifying the VST Bridge so I can control the top channels with the long throw bottom faders anyway. I shipped these modules across the USA and it was too problematic to grab the larger frame also. It's gone to D&R Heaven now. Not sure if a sidecar would have worked anyway with all the digitally controlled routing going on in these things. The deciding factor was that this is a personal project studio. With the 10 stereo returns, that's 84 inputs. Far more than I need already. I'm giving 14 monos and 4 stereos along with 3 dynamics cards to a fella in France with a short loaded 48. Still have lots left to give away.
Cool man, that's really cool, I give younger guys and kids my spare rack units as I can't be bothered selling them at $250 each, forget that, geez the number of Lexicon prime time units, harmonisers and preamps and compressors people gave me at 15-years old was way cool, often their worth was $40 bucks, so it was here kid, use this, it's fun etc!

Love people who give back and sadly - way too much Me, Me, Me in this world and 21st century!
This I'm entitled stuff is dreadful!
Everyone's an Audio Engineer these days!
Hmmm!

Go man!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search