The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soyuz SU-017 as only LDC - good choice? Condenser Microphones
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Soyuz SU-017 as only LDC - good choice?

I don't do that much recording (mainly mixing) but I'd like a great LDC for when I do. Currently I have some good dynamics and SDCs (SM7, 57, RE20, MKH 40s) and a handful of cheap LDCs (rode nt1, ksm32 etc) but I'd like one great mic to cover a wide range of voices and acoustic instruments. I know an 87 would be the obvious choice, but I never really love them on lead vocals, they always seem a bit too polite.

The clips I've heard of the soyuz sound great to me but i'd value any opinions on whether it's a good choice for all-round vocal mic. I know this is high-end but around $3k is my limit, otherwise I'd be looking hard at the chandler too, which sounds awesome from the clips i've heard.
Old 19th November 2017
If you want a funky beer pump to impress Germans or East Europeans then yes definitely. If you want a great microphone with a great pre amp included get a Chandler. Or my fave all rounder is a Horch RMJ2. Actually, I like the Soyuz but it's very mid forward and not for everything....
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
If you want a funky beer pump to impress Germans or East Europeans then yes definitely. If you want a great microphone with a great pre amp included get a Chandler. Or my fave all rounder is a Horch RMJ2. Actually, I like the Soyuz but it's very mid forward and not for everything....
Thanks Paul, was hoping you'd interject, I've been enjoying reading your posts lately. That's quite the studio you have!

I like the mid-forward thing on the soyuz, I think it would suit a lot of the music I work on, and the texture of the sound is very appealing to me, but you're probably right that it's not neutral enough to be an all rounder. I needed someone to tell me that i think...

I've never used or heard the horch, that looks like a really interesting mic. Thanks!
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

I think that you will find that the Soyuz 017, which is a copy of the U67 family microphone, is a wonderful universal mic. It has qualities of the C12 as well and projects a beautiful and liquid pickup sound.

The microphone inside is far and away of much better quality than the other mics mentioned here. I had a Horch mic and it did not have an appealing sound at all. Chandler build quality falls down in comparison to the Soyuz 017.

The fact of the matter is that with this Soyuz design, the Russians bested many classic tube mics and left the Chinese and most boutique tube mics in the dust.

Better capsule, better electronic design, higher quality parts and testing, testing, testing for quality control.

If the Soyuz was made in Germany instead of Russian, it would sell for $10,000.

Last edited by Plush; 19th November 2017 at 08:52 PM..
Old 19th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I think that you will find that the Soyuz 017, which is a copy of the U67 family microphone, is a wonderful universal mic. It has qualities of the C12 as well and projects a beautiful and liquid pickup sound.

The microphone inside is far and away of much better quality than the other mics mentioned here. I had a Horch mic and it did not have an appealing sound at all. Chandler built quality falls down in comparison to the Soyuz 017.

The fact of the matter is that with this Soyuz design, the Russians bested many classic tube mics and left the Chinese and most boutique tube mics in the dust.

Better capsule, better electronic design, higher quality parts and testing, testing, testing for quality control.

If the Soyuz was made in Germany instead of Russian, it would sell for $10,000.
You really talk some Europhile sh1t sometimes Plush. Is it booze? All that pseudo tech talk.

The insides of a Soyuz are not in the slightest bit impressively constructed. It's exterior is great though for coshing rival gangs in a turf war.

The Horch and the Chandler are great sounding quality mics. I have 2 of each.

Last edited by Paul_G; 20th November 2017 at 12:48 AM..
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Nut

The Soyuz is a tremendous mic. And yes, you can use it for everything.

I have cut so many tracks with this microphone that are finished as soon as I stopped pressing record. It is not a neutral microphone but it is incredibly useful. It eats up the harshness (not detail) of the source but leaves the body and the air intact. Plus, should you so desire, it takes EQ wonderfully.

I've owned the mic for over a year and a half. I do not live to A-B test. Rather, I put microphones through their paces in actual, relatively high-stress conditions. The Soyuz is a different thing but it hangs with and often surpasses the typical German classics.

(By the way: we love our Curve Benders and have a ton of Chandler gear here.)

Last edited by Dubbin; 2nd December 2017 at 10:58 PM..
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You really some sh1t sometimes Plush. Is it booze? All that pseudo tech talk.

The insides of a Soyuz are not in the slightest bit impressively constructed. It's exterior is great though for coshing rival gangs in a turf war.

The Horch and the Chandler are great sounding quality mics. I have 2 of each.
Hilarious, Playa!
No booze or other treatments here. No pseudo nothing, neither.

Instead my genuine informed opinion taken from actual use.
Old 19th November 2017
Quote:
Hilarious, Playa!
No booze or other treatments here. No pseudo nothing, neither.

Instead my genuine informed opinion taken from actual use.
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear
I have the fet available in the classifieds if interested. It often bested my u87ai on vox until I sent it to Klaus Heyne for modification. Now I prefer the u87 but have alot more invested in it. The Soyuz is a great sounding, well built microphone that should meet your aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
I don't do that much recording (mainly mixing) but I'd like a great LDC for when I do. Currently I have some good dynamics and SDCs (SM7, 57, RE20, MKH 40s) and a handful of cheap LDCs (rode nt1, ksm32 etc) but I'd like one great mic to cover a wide range of voices and acoustic instruments. I know an 87 would be the obvious choice, but I never really love them on lead vocals, they always seem a bit too polite.

The clips I've heard of the soyuz sound great to me but i'd value any opinions on whether it's a good choice for all-round vocal mic. I know this is high-end but around $3k is my limit, otherwise I'd be looking hard at the chandler too, which sounds awesome from the clips i've heard.

Last edited by Twenty Staxx; 19th November 2017 at 10:51 PM..
Old 20th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbin View Post
I do not live to A-B test. Rather, I put microphones through their paces in actual, relatively high-stress conditions. The Soyuz is a different thing but it hangs with and often surpasses the typical German classics.

(By the way: we love our Curve Benders and have a ton of Chandler gear here.)
I was one of the first people to sing the Soyuz praises, because I am lucky enough to have worked myself into the privileged position to spend time A/B testing things.
When I'm not making records.

It hangs with most top flight mics quality wise sonically, but wasn't detailed enough for me to spend 3k on one. Plus the build quality wasn't as good as I believed it should have been internally for that price. A bit thrown together.
Plush is right, I'd rather have a German mic or US mic.

Have you ever seen the Russian Moon landing craft?
Old 28th November 2017
Did you go for the Soyuz? I listened back to some old recordings and it has an incredible sound. Very smooth for a mid forward mic. I wish I had one to compliment the rest of my collection.
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

I didn't, I had my eye on a used one but missed out, was checking out that rm2j you suggested and a few other options, but I think I ultimately I'll get the soyuz, I spent a long time listening to every clip and shootout I could find and I really like it. Will keep my eyes peeled for a bargain, it's too pricey for me to buy new.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Guru
OK guys you wanna see real Russian class, I have one word..... OKTAVA! Open up my 2500 or 319, and you'll see some great Soviet era tech..... Puts Chandler or Soyuz to shame.....Made Michael Joly weep with joy when he was modding.
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Chiming in just to add that the SU-017 is presently the only LDC I have/use. TBH, I kinda stumbled into the right deal at the right time a year ago and went for it.
I'm very into ribbons and some dynamics these days but, when the the LDC tube thing is needed for contrast (mostly vocals, room, in combo w/ a ribbon etc) it has yet to leave me down. It competes well with other standards for quality tube mics imo.

It's seemingly often overlooked maybe due to price point, or looks or??
I suppose there are other solid options in the price range but, it happened to be the most tube mic bang for my buck at the time.
Old 28th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Chiming in just to add that the SU-017 is presently the only LDC I have/use. TBH, I kinda stumbled into the right deal at the right time a year ago and went for it.
I'm very into ribbons and some dynamics these days but, when the the LDC tube thing is needed for contrast (mostly vocals, room, in combo w/ a ribbon etc) it has yet to leave me down. It competes well with other standards for quality tube mics imo.

It's seemingly often overlooked maybe due to price point, or looks or??
I suppose there are other solid options in the price range but, it happened to be the most tube mic bang for my buck at the time.
Do you mind me asking what you paid? You can pm if you like? I wouldn't mind another sonic Soviet beer pump.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Guru
The new silver one would make a great martini shaker! Cool looking mic and for $1K something totally worth trying.....
Old 28th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
The new silver one would make a great martini shaker! Cool looking mic and for $1K something totally worth trying.....
Yeah that's a great price range. Is it a MDC Fet?
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Guru
Quote:
Yeah that's a great price range. Is it a MDC Fet?
They say it's an LDC with a triple backplate design. I'm no mic maven, but thinking a really good FET may be a much better choice than a kinda good tube.
I don't really have enough knowledge to speak on the subject. Seems like an incredible mic for the money.....
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
They say it's an LDC with a triple backplate design. I'm no mic maven, but thinking a really good FET may be a much better choice than a kinda good tube.
I don't really have enough knowledge to speak on the subject. Seems like an incredible mic for the money.....
Well if it has the same capsule as the others it should sound cool!
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Nut

I second this notion. "from the 67 family" is a very loose thing to say. The Soyuz has NOTHING with the real thing. It's very underwhelming and feels like they spent more money on looks than quality of build... I lived with it for a bit and it always lost to other mics. Get a Chandler REDD mic. It's the real deal, a new classic, and you get the preamp with it.
Quote:
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

No--build quality on the Soyuz is excellent. Parts are superior to others mentioned including Chandler. Chandler inside is sloppy--assembled by a novice at a mex or viet workshop.

False words above.
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
No--build quality on the Soyuz is excellent. Parts are superior to others mentioned including Chandler. Chandler inside is sloppy--assembled by a novice at a mex or viet workshop.

False words above.
What as opposed to a Russian teenage girl? Or a Granny?
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
I didn't, I had my eye on a used one but missed out, was checking out that rm2j you suggested and a few other options, but I think I ultimately I'll get the soyuz, I spent a long time listening to every clip and shootout I could find and I really like it. Will keep my eyes peeled for a bargain, it's too pricey for me to buy new.
How does the Fet Soyuz sound in comparison?
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How does the Fet Soyuz sound in comparison?
I think it sounds really similar, but is just missing a little of the euphonic sound the 017 has. I bet it would sound great through a really coloured tube pre.
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
I think it sounds really similar, but is just missing a little of the euphonic sound the 017 has. I bet it would sound great through a really coloured tube pre.
I found that with my cheaper Brauners, put through a tube pre they gained the euphonic wispiness you speak of.

On the other hand put through a Chandler TG2 they sound solid and huge.

So it's kind of a win win.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

False words above.
Wow. This reply is randomly passive-aggressive. Backed by no evidence. Do your research people!

Last edited by pqlior; 29th November 2017 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Don’t you dare call me untruthful. My comments are from owning and using and opening up and examining the mentioned mics. You don’t know me. I have reported you to the moderator.
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
Don’t you dare call me untruthful. My comments are from owning and using and opening up and examining the mentioned mics. You don’t know me. I have reported you to the moderator.
Ooooh now we're scared Plushy.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ooooh now we're scared Plushy.
Yerp.
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
Well considering you go round bashing equipment willy nilly unless it's from your precious Europe or thereabouts. (Which is weird as Europe is pretty backward in SO many respects) I guess I just twigged.

You're cantankerous and have no reason to report anyone about anything.

You add charm to the place though so don't let our sparring put you off.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search