The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora (n) with SSL Sigma- WOW!!!
Old 16th November 2017
Here for the gear

Lynx Aurora (n) with SSL Sigma- WOW!!!

I've been using the UA Apollo 8 (blackface) as my studio centerpiece for years, and have loved the workflow it has provided me. In my Hybrid setup, I run out of the Apollo into the Dangerous 2-bus LT, into a Shadow Hills comp, into a Curve Bender, and then back into the Apollo to print. I have been very happy with my sound for the past few years, but have recently felt the urge to try to get that last 5-10% that I felt like I was missing, compared to the current radio hits.

So I pulled the trigger on the new Lynx Aurora (n) 32 converter Thunderbolt to replace the UA Apollo, and the SSL Sigma to replace the Dangerous 2-bus LT. I want to STRESS that I have been VERY HAPPY with the UA Apollo & the Dangerous 2-bus. Both of these helped me take my mixes to the next level for sure.

That being said, all I can say with the new Lynx & SSL combination is: WOW!!!!

This combo opened up an additional 15-20% of width, clarity, separation, and sheen. NO JOKE, it is a stunning difference IMHO. I have no idea how much of this difference is from the Lynx, and how much is from the SSL, but with all of the research that I did prior to pulling the trigger on these units, I would bet that each unit shares an equal amount of the upgrade (EDUCATED GUESS).
Keep in mind that the cost of each unit was 2-3 times that of the items replaced, but if you are really going for a pro-level sound, this now feels (& more importantly, SOUNDS) like the real deal.

I did keep my UA thunderbolt Satellites, as I love my UA plugins. And I did need to purchase a new mic pre, as the Lynx doesn't have any included (I do think they are working on an expansion for the Aurora (n) series that does have mic pres). However, with my workflow, I very rarely need more than 2 mic pres at any given time, so this wasn't that big of a deal. I suppose if I was routinely recording live bands, the need for mic pres could be a deal breaker for the Lynx, at least until the mic-pre expansion comes out.

SUMMARY: Lynx Aurora (n) + SSL Sigma is an incredible combo! Relatively seamless integration into my Pro-Tools 12 setup, via Thunderbolt connectivity.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler1971 View Post
I've been using the UA Apollo 8 (blackface) as my studio centerpiece for years, and have loved the workflow it has provided me. In my Hybrid setup, I run out of the Apollo into the Dangerous 2-bus LT, into a Shadow Hills comp, into a Curve Bender, and then back into the Apollo to print. I have been very happy with my sound for the past few years, but have recently felt the urge to try to get that last 5-10% that I felt like I was missing, compared to the current radio hits.

So I pulled the trigger on the new Lynx Aurora (n) 32 converter Thunderbolt to replace the UA Apollo, and the SSL Sigma to replace the Dangerous 2-bus LT. I want to STRESS that I have been VERY HAPPY with the UA Apollo & the Dangerous 2-bus. Both of these helped me take my mixes to the next level for sure.

That being said, all I can say with the new Lynx & SSL combination is: WOW!!!!

This combo opened up an additional 15-20% of width, clarity, separation, and sheen. NO JOKE, it is a stunning difference IMHO. I have no idea how much of this difference is from the Lynx, and how much is from the SSL, but with all of the research that I did prior to pulling the trigger on these units, I would bet that each unit shares an equal amount of the upgrade (EDUCATED GUESS).
Keep in mind that the cost of each unit was 2-3 times that of the items replaced, but if you are really going for a pro-level sound, this now feels (& more importantly, SOUNDS) like the real deal.

I did keep my UA thunderbolt Satellites, as I love my UA plugins. And I did need to purchase a new mic pre, as the Lynx doesn't have any included (I do think they are working on an expansion for the Aurora (n) series that does have mic pres). However, with my workflow, I very rarely need more than 2 mic pres at any given time, so this wasn't that big of a deal. I suppose if I was routinely recording live bands, the need for mic pres could be a deal breaker for the Lynx, at least until the mic-pre expansion comes out.

SUMMARY: Lynx Aurora (n) + SSL Sigma is an incredible combo! Relatively seamless integration into my Pro-Tools 12 setup, via Thunderbolt connectivity.
Dude since you are here i have to ask you. Can you only pan 16 channels of the SSL Sigma? Cuz i know its a mix A, and 16 channels of mix B, so im assuming its really only a 16 channel summer with pan control?
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Dude since you are here i have to ask you. Can you only pan 16 channels of the SSL Sigma? Cuz i know its a mix A, and 16 channels of mix B, so im assuming its really only a 16 channel summer with pan control?
Think of it like this- it is 16 mono or 16 stereo.
If a channel is mono then you can pan.
If stereo then you cannot.
Each is individually selectable.

So you could have 16 mono channels.
Or 16 stereo channels.
Or you could have 6 mono channels + 10 stereo.
Or 12 mono and 4 stereo.
Or... you get the idea.

You also have two mix buses, each with its own insert.
You could send the entire mix to both buses and bring back one in heavily compressed.

Or you could do the back bus technique by sending everything aside from drums to Mix B and compressing heavily and bringing them back in.

You have a lot of options.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Think of it like this- it is 16 mono or 16 stereo.
If a channel is mono then you can pan.
If stereo then you cannot.
Each is individually selectable.

So you could have 16 mono channels.
Or 16 stereo channels.
Or you could have 6 mono channels + 10 stereo.
Or 12 mono and 4 stereo.
Or... you get the idea.

You also have two mix buses, each with its own insert.
You could send the entire mix to both buses and bring back one in heavily compressed.

Or you could do the back bus technique by sending everything aside from drums to Mix B and compressing heavily and bringing them back in.

You have a lot of options.
Yes this is exactly what i was trying to figure out but it seems like no one could answer it straight forward!!!!1 Thank you Octonic!! One more question please forgive me, but on the channel inputs i see its 1-4,5-8,9-12-13-16 on 4 dsubs, how would i go about that just using and connecting 16 mono channels? Would it be each dsub is set up for stereo connection and i have to get 4 snakes or is it i can connect to the first 2 and use all 16 channels from there? Thanks a million for answering these questions, really appreciated.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes this is exactly what i was trying to figure out but it seems like no one could answer it straight forward!!!!1 Thank you Octonic!! One more question please forgive me, but on the channel inputs i see its 1-4,5-8,9-12-13-16 on 4 dsubs, how would i go about that just using and connecting 16 mono channels? Would it be each dsub is set up for stereo connection and i have to get 4 snakes or is it i can connect to the first 2 and use all 16 channels from there? Thanks a million for answering these questions, really appreciated.
The easiest way would be to use a patchbay with DB25 connectors on the back.
I have a Signex ISOpatch bantam.

This would give you the most flexibility to be able to switch between mono and stereo channels.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The easiest way would be to use a patchbay with DB25 connectors on the back.
I have a Signex ISOpatch bantam.

This would give you the most flexibility to be able to switch between mono and stereo channels.
If ur ever in el paso tx, beers on me man.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
If ur ever in el paso tx, beers on me man.
may i suggest the Redco patchbay .. from someone that has owned both ... just sold my Signex 2 days ago !!!!

1) signex has silver contacts and normals are set with Solder Pads
2) Redco has gold contacts and Switches for Normals

https://www.redco.com/Redco-R196-D25...-Patchbay.html
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
may i suggest the Redco patchbay .. from someone that has owned both ... just sold my Signex 2 days ago !!!!

1) signex has silver contacts and normals are set with Solder Pads
2) Redco has gold contacts and Switches for Normals

https://www.redco.com/Redco-R196-D25...-Patchbay.html
Redco do great stuff.
They are twice the price of Signex here in the UK though.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Redco do great stuff.
They are twice the price of Signex here in the UK though.
ah .. UK .. i would try and look for one with gold contacts .. there should be a UK / euorpean manufacturer !!
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
ah .. UK .. i would try and look for one with gold contacts .. there should be a UK / euorpean manufacturer !!
I don't know of any and I've been looking.
I'm open to suggestions.

Neutrik do a few but not with DB25's and they are twice the price of the Redco.
I wish I'd bought a few Redco's when I was living in NYC.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know of any and I'v been looking.
I'm open to suggestions.

switchcraft makes DB25 bays ... and this is the international sales email ..

[email protected]
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
switchcraft makes DB25 bays ... and this is the international sales email ..

[email protected]
Thanks, I'll speak to them.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know of any and I'v been looking.
I'm open to suggestions.

redco .. UK .. KMR .. not sure how to read the pricing though ..

https://www.kmraudio.com/redco-r196-d25pg-pst96d25p.php
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
redco .. UK .. KMR .. not sure how to read the pricing though ..

https://www.kmraudio.com/redco-r196-d25pg-pst96d25p.php
Yup, I know the guys at KMR.
You guys pay $399 for this patchbay,
We pay the equivalent of $750 for it.

It is doable but I paid $400 for my Signex.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yup, I know the guys at KMR.
You guys pay $399 for this patchbay,
We pay the equivalent of $750 for it.

It is doable but I paid $400 for my Signex.
damn .. those import duties really take their toll !!! i had a friend in the Turks and Caicos and we went through that all the time taking him gear !!! sorry to hear .. hopefully Switchcraft folks can hook a brother up ...
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
damn .. those import duties really take their toll !!! i had a friend in the Turks and Caicos and we went through that all the time taking him gear !!! sorry to hear .. hopefully Switchcraft folks can hook a brother up ...
You know it!
We don't even have decent weather to compensate.

I appreciate you taking the time though.
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear

Need help I actually got same set up has you,(nucleus-Sigma-Aurora n 24 i/o) Im actually got a hard time setting everything to work, I'v been always mixing ITB before, I understand that using 16 channel out of the lynx n going to feed 16 input of the Sigma, the MixA out from Sigma back to my(DAW) Lynx input (23-24) I'v been always using a Bus (has my Masterbus) send to and Audio track (call print) to print my mix. (always did it that way in protools) (always make sure that the input monitor button is on the print track to here the result) but now when i assign my bus (Masterbus) input 23-24 sigma. i can't here the sound of my print track even if the input monitor is on ( in fact i can't put plugin anymore over my masters chain.. cause i can't here it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search